Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carrickbawn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Unfortunately I beg to differ on that (and I wish I was wrong here).

So I left SSE in early Sept (previously noted in the thread). They are saying that they will not pay me unless I get a smart meter in. In which case I would get the deemed export from Feb -> Sept, but I would ahve to get the smart meter in. Even though I am no longer with SSE.

Does it make sense? Of course not, but that is what they were saying. I did (extensively) push back on this that this makes complete no sense that you want me (now with another provider) to get a smart meter in so that you can pay me deemed export on something in the past.....but they were - not - budging! Nice enough lad on the phone, but yeah.......muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Yep. That's pretty official. So yeah it's the wild west out there in terms of providers making up rules to suit themselves and to avoid paying anything.

It certainly was not in the vision of the regulator to create a situation where competition and switching would be the trade off forgetting paid to generate excess electricity and improve green energy flows...

Build your systems folks for self consumption and leave it at that. This is a failed effort to encourage green energy imho.

Glad I got a CHEAP battery!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

Thats totally messed up and definitely seems to be against the whole point of deemed export for those on day/night meters where we can't yet switch without before forced to change our plan to a smart one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭con747

Bord Gais are expected to start paying March 23 AFAIK. I seen it in some correspondence they sent me a while back.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

So an overview

Pinenergy - already paying out, on each bill.

Energia - looks like paying, should be the balance from Feb/nc6/switch, and have said that they said they are paying on each bill

Electric Ireland I think are planning on paying on each bill.

SSE, next year sometime? Need a smart meter?

Bord gais, paying after a year of signup?

This is what Bord Gais say.

Payments

• To receive a payment, you’ll need to agree to our Microgen Export Plan T&Cs
    • If you were a Bord Gáis Energy customer on the 15 February (date of legislation) and microgenerating at that time, your payment will be back-dated.
    • If you joined us after the 15 February, payments will be back-dated to when you became eligible. 
    • All payments will be based on the data provided to us by ESBN.  
    • To offer our customers the most competitive rate possible, we’ll make a single payment to customers once a year. Once you’ve exported for 12 months, payment will be made as a credit on your electricity bill. We’ll be making our first payments from March 2023.
    • If you’re eligible for a smart meter, you’ll need to have one installed to qualify for a payment.

* Deemed customers are customers who are not eligible under the National Smart metering program to have a smart meter installed. In this case your export amount will be calculated (deemed) using a pre-determined formula.

You can contact us if you wish to sign up for a Microgen Export plan tariff.

Who is eligible for the scheme?

• To qualify for an export payment with Bord Gais Energy, you must have your electricity supply with Bord Gais Energy. Please go to our plans page to see our available offers.
    • You must have a microgenerator installed (i.e. solar PV, micro wind, micro-hydro or renewable micro-CHP)
    • You must have notified ESBN of your microgeneration connection to the grid (via an NC6 form or equivalent). If you are not sure whether your installer has completed this form, contact ESBN networks to confirm. 
    • If you are eligible to have a smart meter installed during this phase, then you will need a smart meter to be paid for your export. Where customers are eligible to have a smart meter installed, ESB Networks will endeavour to install a smart meter within four months of a valid NC6 form being processed by ESB Networks. 
    • If you are not eligible to have a smart meter installed during this phase of the rollout, then you will be paid based on a deemed export calculation.

Make of it what you will.

A lot of hoops there. Technically a day/night meter makes you not eligible for a smart meter... too much faff.

Yearly payment is too restrictive. Easier to have a little off each bill.

Granted I'm with Energia for nearly 3yrs so far.. but having one payment a year.. from signup ..

Really reduces the choice of supplier.. esp when my deemed export is about 300ish.

A lot of grey area murky wording in their T&C's. It will be a wait and see but get ready for a fight scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭AntonP

Regulator is slacking big time. zero enforcement. Complete joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CHorn

Do they have a night rate? I could only see standard and smart tariff... 48c I think 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wonder when this will change, I see a future where you can move to the best import rate and best export rate with two different suppliers

"Please note you must be with the same energy supplier for your regular electricity account as your micro generation account."

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

Even better cut out the middle man and sell directly to ESB Networks.

No wait, i can see that going pear shaped with flat tariff pricing and only one monopolistic purchaser

I'd happily have a supplier with a high day rate (even 60-70c) but cheap night and good FIT rate. All this needs a smart meter, and that would be the only reason t o get a smart meter - if you're exporting a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well if you're exporting over 6kW then effectively you're selling directly to ESBN at 13.5c/kWh. I think that's fixed for 5 years

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I think ESB Networks owns Electric Ireland, who actually have the worst FIT/CEG @ 0.14...

ESB group own both ESBn and EI (along with other companies in the group)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

I just called Energia about switching, and asked about how to declare microgeneration when switching and was told I needed to call a One Stop Shop for Energy Upgrades..? This is obviously incorrect.

Can anyone who has done this tell me how I declare migrogeneration - NC6 was active as of mid-October.

• Advertisement

I didn't have to do anything. You don't need to "sign up" with Energia, esbn just tells them if you are a microgenerator.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

Thanks! I'm with SSE at the moment, but I'm not inclined to get into a fight about smart meters for the sake of one month's deemed export...

69 cent ouch. 150 sign on plus deemed export of say 250... I'd have to do my maths but not sure my 5kw battery is enough to offset that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

my story from esb . had a smartmeter installed . previous one was a 24hr. solar installed end of MAy.

got bill at the start of the month with an estimated bill . rang them to find out why the estimate as i was on smart meter ,

first bill is estimated , turns out .. fair enough i say .

i asked about the FIT. so was transferred .

turns out the electricity i wasn't using since May was stopping at the old meter as it didnt have tails .. hadnt heard of deemed export.

said the electricity couldn't go to the grid 🤔

when i questioned how it magically disappeared into nothing, the person couldn't give an answer .

they are only paying FIT from when smartmeter went in ...

muppets

I just tried to change my D/D with Bord Gais due to the possible tax implications with the FIT, "We only accept Irish IBAN numbers" Now it will be a pain trying to explain to some halfwit that they are breaking SEPA regulations and it is illegal not to accept an N26 IBAN number.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

IBAN discrimination has been illegal for about 10 years. Sometimes you wonder how dinosaur companies like that still exist. Obviously there is too little competition and they charge us too much. Insist their practice is illegal and demand to speak to a manager.

I have long abandoned Irish banks and I'm with N26 as my only current account myself now for the last year or two. It took some time to get some of those dinosaurs to listen, but eventually they all did.

I know, I moved from Irish banks a couple of years ago as well. It's just the start of the pain in the arse of getting the FIT paid out from them.

I sometimes do enjoy the fight with them a little bit too much though. 😂 It took me 11 years to get the SEAI to admit they messed up with work I got done but never give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

I reported BG to the CRU for exactly this.... ah shucks, my innocence! needless to say I got nowhere so I moved to Energia, so BG did me a big favour in the end! will never consider them again.

and ditto re. N26, 99% brilliant service on their standard plan. Irish banks are clueless dodos.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

An hour between on hold and explaining I got the N26 D/D set up and then I asked why I was paying them every 2 months and they were only paying me once a year for FIT, I could hear the blank look on his face. No coherent reply needless to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Going off topic. Problem with lots of old companies (not just banks) is they are stuck with a huge amount of old IT systems that they have to integrate into. So from mainframes that still work really well (but customers never see) to the app on your phone to transfer money or seek load approval. Plus they have a huge overhead on risk and security appetite. Means they can’t change or innovate quickly or cheaply. I’m deffo not defending them. Their original business was about you going to them (branch) to use a service, or cheque. The ‘internet age’ is much newer than what they were built on. Wide range of energy providers, insurance, telecoms are likely the same again.

Brand new players shaking up any old industry (like bank providers) are really software companies under the hood that happen to provide a banking service to make their revenue. So it’s all built for a slick end user experience, no / little legacy systems. Tis night and day what they can offer.

I know this from personal experience.  

Advertisement