Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Thanks for sharing these figures @Kcross. My sweet EV day/night plan with Energia just expired. When I compared the day/night plans of these, even considering the FIT saving I'm getting, I was surprised to see that not switching but staying on my existing (expired) plan was the cheapest. This is because I had a 31% discount when I renewed last time and Energia seem to be applying this discount even to the new (more expensive) units now that my plan over 12 months. With the new plans that Energia offer there is only a 10% discount. So basically even though new plans have a lower rate before the discount, the price after discount is not as good as I'm getting now even though I'm out of contract.

That seems weird to me.

Will the 31% discount from my previous plan will continue to apply to the new more expensive units now that I'm beyond the 12 month contract period with Energia? I was surprised at that. I expected the discount to go to 0%. However I'm 100% sure that the small amount of my usage in Jan which was outside of contract had the old 31% discount applied in my new bill. The unit cost out of contract did of course go up, it's just the discount % stayed the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Be careful, because your previous plan just expired Energia cannot make a change mid billing cycle, they have to wait until the next clear billing cycle and charge current non-discounted rates e.g. if your plan expired Jan 2nd and you are billed per calendar month then Energia will continue to charge the entire month of January per your expired plan until the January bill is done, from Feb 1st you go to variable rates

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Are you sure you're getting a 31% discount?

What will be your VAT inclusive night, and day unit rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

From talking to Energia last week there's no budging on the 10% discount. Criminal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

Finally got my CEG payment from SSE today. I was expecting around €325 but got closer €500.

I see from the ESB portal that my export data only goes back to May, when I think is when we switched to a smart plan. Is it possible that for Feb-May, SSE paid me for deemed export? Given they're darker months, that might explain the bump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

did EI put the FIT credit on the bill or did it appear in their online dashboard - like the Gov credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

i had an energia rep to the door claiming they could offer 40c inc vat day rate, and 21c night. I pointed out I had a smart meter, and that this seemed far cheaper than anything on their site, but they werent deterred. I haven't been able to get through to sse to even renew my plan, so most likely i have 0% discount right now, so I went ahead with it. hopefully energia answer the phone tomorrow. or sse will ring me with an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭allinthehead

☀️

Thanks. I got my bill yesterday - but i cant download it from them for some reason - i think their system is on the blink. Im still in credit tho :) :) :) so just wondering is that partly from FIT.

I can confirm EI have paid me the FIT (microgen scheme). I did not get paid from FEB - becuase when i checked on my NC6 form - ESB said they never got it from installer. Once i chased this - multiple emails - It seems like I was paid about 5 days after the date that i opened a ticket with EI to confirm they recieved it. MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW UP AFTER INSTALL!

This Bill I got:

2 x Microgen credits

1 x Gov credit

1 x Electric Ireland Credit (50 euro bonus only EI customers got)

1 x SuperValue credit 5 euro :) :) :)

Happy PV people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone still waiting for Electric Ireland to pay them for FIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Yes on page 2 of the bill it shows 4 different prices:

Day units from before the contract ran out in early January. 0.3081 per Unit (ex VAT and before discount)

Day units after contract expiry. 0.487 per unit (ex VAT and before discount)

Night units from before the contract that ran out in January.0.0887 (ex VAT and before discount)

Night units after contract expiry: 0.2336 per unit (ex VAT and before discount)

Then it shows a discount for the period which is 31% of the sumproduct of the above and the number of units for each category. I checked the calculation and it equals 31% of the total of units x rate for each rate.

So now after contract expiry total incl VAT is:

Day: 0.487*(1-0.31)*1.09=0.3662

Night: 0.2336*(1-0.31)*1.09=0.17569

I'm afraid though that the 31% will go away in my next bill though. As I mentioned I was surprised it was there for the out of contract units in this bill. Maybe it's just because their system doesn't handle periods where you had units both within and out of contract very well? Would be interested to hear from anyone who went out of contract with Energia whether the old discount remained (albeit on a higher unit rate).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Still waiting on my Bord Gais payment and my plan is up end of Feb. I'm on the Smart EV one. Their offer for renewal came through today at 7% discount on electricity and 16% on gas... while their website offers 15% on both. Ridiculous.

I'm not going to renew with them anyways due to the crazy standing charge and their insane payment terms. I wish I had 12 month payment terms. Never seen that ever.

Electric Ireland is looking like the one to go with for me so far. SSE looks OK-ish but not mad on their microgen payment terms either.

If I wasn't with EI already I think id be going for them and take the 150 cash. Haven't shopped yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I was browsing this site and an ad for it came up on right side. I can't find it published anywhere! Next time I see it again I'll follow it and try find a link.

Last year I took Thier 300 cash switch offer and that lasted thru autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I got my FIT credit off them in my December bill. €320 for the year, 6.1 KW system and its deemed export since I don't have a smart meter

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

Flogas offering 150 cash back for gas (not sure about electricity) or 300 to move gas and electricity. I moved gas on bonkers.ie

Higher unit and standing charge thsm others but still worth it for us. We have low gas usage

I wouldn't touch flogas. Had awful trouble with them before.

• Advertisement

I am DAY/Night meter - Right now it looks like its EI versus Energia - no one else even comes close.

TLDR; my story...I have 5Kwh battery and no EV. I import 1500Kwh at day rate and 2700Kwh at night rate - (the rest in Solar). I get Deemed export of 1900 units. Current provider is EI and I have to make a decision in March.

I am leaning towards staying with EI - they have already froze my discount - and rather than lock into a contract I would like to wait to move... if something competitive comes up later this year.

Energia is marginally better - but EI gave 50 euro credit for loyalty last year - so its practically a wash.

My Day Units are going to cost me roughly 600 euro next year. And this would be nice to reduce - but I cant really justify speding 000s on a DIY battery (dont hate me) to get this lower. I paid around 200 euro ALL year for electricity this year with bonuses and grants and FIT etc... so im pretty happy to stay as i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

600 this year, and next, and next etc. How many 600s do you pay before the battery pays for itself?

I have 20kWh of batteries and never pay day rate. My average is 1kWh per day over the last two bills, or about 12 quid. That's in peak load timing and inverter sync. If I could switch off the incoming meter during the day I'd have used 0 altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Don't forget they are all ready to 🤬 us once more with elec price bumps next month.

At least with the energia EV tariff you get fixed rates for 1 year (if they still do that)

I knew i would have to defend that :) Its not 600 euro - its the difference between 1500Kwh at day rate - at .20 right now thats 300 euro per year. So it could be 5/10 years payback! definetly not worth it for me.

I do have a battery - so i agree they are useful... but in my usage profile - 20Kwh would be too much cost for not enough return. 10Kwh might make sense -but i fear im chasing that no day rate (i mean 1500 KWh is all we are talking about!) for a lot of RISK and potentially a LOT of headaches... sourcing, delivery, VAT, building, electroctution, dodgy cells, lowere capcity - problems with inverter - need for automation - and TIME required to DIY.

I admire those that build - and never say never - i can see expanding my battery in the next 10 years - but for now - i cannot justify it. I will be keeping an eye on prices - ease of ordering etc... and someday i would like to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

OK so taking 300 quid minus 40 for grid fluctuation and assuming that electricity prices dont rise any further, after 5 years you have 1300. That means 10 years ROI on 16 of these cells Lifepo4 Battery 320ah Diy 12v 24v 48v Lithium Iron Phosphate Cell High Quality Rechargeable Golf Cart Batteries For Rv Ev Camper - Rechargeable Batteries - AliExpress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

That day/night rate ratio (36%/64%) is pretty impressive if you are not grid-shifting or EV car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Guess we're all getting shafted at renewal time so

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Get a changeover switch and you can turn off the incoming meter during the day

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Oh yeah it is very much grid shifting. I am lucky the other half is bought in on the idea.

Advertisement