Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Got my new energia bill and no deemed FIt in this one, last one had it.

Time to make some noise I guess.

Anyone else the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Everyone else is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, same boat, had one bill with deemed FIT and then the next one not.

Ok had a chat with them so apparently they pay every 6 months from Feb 2022, not every bill and that's based on what ESBN tells them (stupid for deemed export as there are no units to be provided by ESBN since it is a static number)

I joined in August, got bill and FIT in October so that sort of matches up, next one should show up in next bill, allegedly.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That's new, they were intending to pay every bill originally far as I know and it's not what they've been telling other people who have enquired.

• Advertisement

If only these feckers would take as long when it comes to bumping the unit prices as they take with paying FIT...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It's SSE that we're saying twice a year. BG I think once a year.

Energia should be every bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Hi, I had my system installed 18/01/22, smart meter in May, got 286 euros credited to my account in Dec. The email also stated that any FIT would be credited on every bill going forward. Prior to this I did kinda hound them via email & Twitter for some communication about same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Bord Gais are getting ready to put up their export data (and hopefully payment) so have made some updates to the accounts.

It now shows the MEC and a little microgen icon thing. However, mine says 1kW. There's me thinking it's just BGE being shockingly bad again, but just in case I dropped ESBN an email... and they confirmed the same. Installer never put in updated NC6 to bring MEC up to 6kW. 🙄

I wonder how many are finding the same thing now exports are starting. If I was on a non-smart meter I think I'd be really fecked as I'd get payment based on 1kW. I'm on a smart meter and ESBN is showing export data so should hopefully get paid correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Hi All, I'm sure this has all been discussed previously but hoping someone will give me a quick answer! I'm due to have 4.8Kwp installed in 2 weeks(no battery). I have an old mechanical meter(latched unfortunately) and am due to finish my discounted rate with Energia at the end of the month. The questions I have are:

1. Will I get deemed export until a smart meter is installed and will I then be required to go on a smart tariff to get paid by export amount?
    2. Should I request a D/N meter installed before the install? I looked back on my usage and it will probably slightly increase the bill amount

TIA👍️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I had 2 cold callers from Bord Gais at the door the other day. I'm still under contract to EI, but asked them what was their rate of payment for the FIT's. 18.5c per kw was the reply. Told them I was getting 21c from EI, but we might talk again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

1. Yes, you will be on a deemed export until you get a smart meter. I dont believe they can force you to go on a smart tariff but you might have to to continue to get paid FiT.
    2. d/n tariffs are much better at present. How long that lasts is unknown. There is a plan to introduce a new smart meter that is configured for d/n tariffs which would then also allow you to get measured FiT on a d/n tariff but its not rolled out yet.

For you, I'd do nothing. Keep your old meter for as long as you can and avoid smart tariffs for as long as you can. If you want to prolong it then request a d/n tariff from your current provider (meter change will be required). That will keep you on a deemed export for the rest of this year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Thanks for the info! I think I'll just stick on what im at presently so. I've looked at my consumption and theres very little saving for me on a day/night by unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Got just over €500 FIT from EI, backdated to February last year. Took them a long time to get their payments going but am glad it’s finally coming through. Hopefully it stays per bill now

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I thought it was every bill with Energia?

The deemed fit process is very cloak and dagger stuff with most of the energy companies. Very bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭snor

if you get smart meter taken out, is it possible to get deemed export? Thanks

Post edited by snor on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

that's taken from Energia's FAQ

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

not anymore, they're blaming ESBN for bad data, but for deemed export it's just a formula based on your inverter rating.. go figure, literally!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

just got my first bill, since smart meter was installed. EI are still paying me deemed export for some reason. Not complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

Seeing these comments has me wondering. I had a smart meter installed last year and Solar PV installed last month. An NC6 form is submitted for this and so waiting for ESBN and Electric Ireland to process same to accommodate FIT payments. One thing that I've noticed on my Electric Ireland account is that the smart meter data since installation of the smart meter is intermittent. There are data gaps of 2 - 3 days in the overall data history plot. I'm not sure why this is the case but if they are unable to record my exported electricity accurately on account of such data gaps i.e "bad data" then will I inevitably have my FIT based off deemed export formula calculation?

Does anyone know if the "bad data" Energia are referring to relates to the scenario where poor or intermittent 2g signal in an area where smart meters are installed is occurring resulting in only intermittent tracking/recording of half hour packet data for electricity use/export?

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

If you register with esb networks you will see that they have all the data, it seems to more an issue with EI not processing the data properly. I logged a call with EI about it Friday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I just got an email from Bord Gais regarding getting the feed in tariff - FIT paid every year??

What an absolute joke - I buy a unit I pay them in 60 days - I sell them a unit I get paid in 12 months??

Deemed export by the way so surely they can work it out per bill or split it over the yearly billing cycles as its deemed its going to be a set figure per year.

Just as well I have a meter that spins backwards. There is no incentive to sign up for a smart meter with this crap going on.

Thanks for the response. What do you mean by "register"? Do you mean the NC6 application to ESBN? How do you see the data? I have an account with Electric Ireland and that data they allow me see shows gaps. This is the half hourly data you can see once you accept the use of your data for accommodation of smart data services/insights. Is this the data you are referring to?

Click login and then you will see a register now button. Once you input you MPRN etc, they will give you access to all the data including usage and export data.

Thanks a mill for that. I registered just now and I can see that they are only giving me the import data as of yet. however, the main thing is there are no data gaps, or at least aggregated data is available for the entire period.

I only submitted the NC6 form a fortnight ago so there may be a delay in getting the export readings. Curiously there are import readings from yesterday lunchtime when I know I was exporting an excess of solar PV, way more than the baseload power demand. Some of the data looks way off to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭JayBee66

I would not get into the habit of turning the fireman's switch on and off on a regular basis. They are meant to stay on until you get a fire. Otherwise too many switchings will result in the switch failing altogether. Fireman's switches are not designed for regular switching.

Initially, I was avoiding day import by flipping my transfer switch but that resulted in the fireman's switch cycling four times a day. After 7 months the switch died. I had another fitted but it too died when my installer was doing some experiments to discover why the fireman's switch was cycling in the morning when off-grid.

I am now on my third switch and leave the system on grid 24/7 unless there is a power cut.

Besides, how are you going to get any FIT if you are not connected to the grid?

I get deemed FIT. I've exported 54kWh since september but been paid for hundreds. The magic of the day night meter, not only are the rates cheaper, you get paid for exporting at a 25% rate, whether or not you export anything!

I'm not talking about cycling the fireman switch I'm talking about removing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭JayBee66

I see. Well, you can remove it. Just take the cables out and plug them into each other; male to female, from each array to the appropriate inverter connector. So long as you don't mix polarities and arrays then all will be well. I bypassed mine for a month whilst waiting for a new fireman's switch but to be honest I was worried the whole time...

The reason being that if your house burns down and it is discovered you bypassed the switch (assuming you didn't electrocute any of the firemen and they're not hunting you down first) then the loss adjuster will report that to your house insurer and you might not get a penny.

• Advertisement

There is zero requirement to have a fireman switch, beyond qualifying for the SEAI grant.

I know people who work in the field for ESBn and the prevailing wisdom is to assume any and all lines are live until proven otherwise. These fireman switches are pure and utter nonsense. Created in the SEAI. The rest of your post about disqualifying your house insurance is blatant and utter misrepresented bunkum. My installation is still perfectly in compliance with the install requirements legally and from safe electric. The only place in the chain of approval where a fireman switch is required as opposed to suggested is the SEAI grant checklist.

Advertisement