Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Is BG the provider that said you have to be a customer to get paid FIT? Ie to get the 2nd 6 month payment you need to remain a customer and not switch?

Any provider that puts weird clauses on paying FIT should be bottom of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭axe2grind

I queried this when on to them about microgen and understood that this is not the case. If I moved, I would get paid FIT till the date I changed provider. He specifically said, I cannot get FIT from them from the date I change provider. I assume that one would still need to wait till the 6 months are up, before being paid whatever was due.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

A poster on the EV forum has said that BG said they will pay him for Microgen after he has left by bank transfer. It would be a lot easier for BG and the customer if they just put it as a credit on the final bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

delete

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If I moved, I would get paid FIT till the date I changed provider. He specifically said, I cannot get FIT from them from the date I change provider.

Correct, they are only liable for the time you are a customer of theirs which makes perfect sense.

I assume that one would still need to wait till the 6 months are up, before being paid whatever was due.

Possibly. I opened a complaint and got paid shortly after I left them. I didn't have to wait. It took a formal complaint to get paid though so if you say nothing I suspect you would get nothing until their next payment window. BG are pulling the p*ss with that, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭con747

The latest from Bord Gais.

Hi XXXX,

Thanks for your recent email to Bord Gáis Energy.

I'm sorry for the delay in replying to your email.

Your day meter doesn't have a deemed capacity, so it is not suitable under the export tariff program. The only meters that are eligible for payment are day/night meters and smart meter that both are and aren't activated. Once you have updated to one, we can backdate the payment and begin the export tariff. You can request to have the meter exchanged to smart for free by being put on an early adopters list. 

The information is available on MyGOV.ie, this article states "Smart meters and smart infrastructure are essential to the delivery of the benefits of the energy transition, including for micro-generators. Smart meters can measure the profile of demand at the premises and thereby allow micro-generators to maximise their self-consumption." I have linked the website below. Please get back if you have any further queries.

gov.ie - Micro-generation (www.gov.ie)

I wonder do any of them know what deemed FIT is.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Deemed fit only applies if you have a day/night meter as we can't be switched over to a smart meter yet.

I was under the impression deemed FIT is calculated based on the inverter size not on meter type?

It is but only if you have a day/night meter. The only reason it's like that is because when they introduced smart meters they made a balls of it. As they didn't provide for any way to replace day/night meters with smart ones! The traditional day/night plan people have can't be replicated on a smart meter. It's bizarre as smart meters can support day/night/peak or day/night/extra cheap night plans. Possibly the hour change also messes it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Last time I was a BG customer I was honestly left astounded that any electricity got to my house at all. I know call center staff generally don't give a crap but BG are right down their with Eir

Ah well, it's not like they're in charge of pumping highly explosive gas into people's houses for heating and cooking

Oh wait....

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

I'll have to have a read of the CRU guidelines again and check that.

Con747, I think I misunderstood your situation.

You have an old analog meter(s).. yes?

And are you on a 24hr or day/night tariff?

If you are on a 24hr tariff then they are correct and you are eligible for a smart meter.

If you want FiT you have to get a new meter. Either a d/n meter (go on deemed export) or a smart meter in which case you would be on measured export.

Keeping quiet and having a backward spinning 24hr meter is probably better as that is effectively giving you FiT anyway at full day rate.

Id say let it go! 😉

@con747 I know you're under contract but I still think you're better off switching. As @KCross said having the backwards spinny meter is definitely a plus, so try to keep it

But I don't think you'll be getting the FIT out of BG anytime soon, and if switching means you will get it then it'll almost certainly outweigh the break contract fee

Yeah, old backwards 24hr rural meter, I still can't find where it say's anything about it on the CRU website though. I can't find the guidelines on it easily on the CRU website. Bord Gais stated they will pay the deemed export backdated to NC6 submission once a new meter is fitted so I will leave it at that I think and see how long it takes ESBN to get to me. I'll just keep the meter reader at bay and add the usual 2 units per billing cycle.

Bord Gais stated they will pay the deemed export backdated

You will only get deemed export if you are not eligible for a smart meter. The only ones not eligible are those on day/night tariffs so you won’t get that unless you specifically ask for a d/n tariff.

Your choices are

1. stick with current meter and enjoy your backward spinning meter for as long as you can. No paid FiT in the meantime but what you have is better than FiT.
    2. Switch to a d/n tariff which will require a meter change and then you get deemed export FiT
    3. switch to a smart meter. You stay on 24hr tariff and get measured FiT

You should do 1!

I always intended to stick with the meter I have until ESBN came knocking, It was more getting clarification on the deemed FIT payments in connection with the old meter I wanted from Bord Gais. I know they want me to request a new meter but that's not going to happen! Once I don't refuse a new meter it should be ok until the rollout gets to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I'd be of the same mind as KCross, that 1) is the way to go. Keep your backwards spinning meter as long as you can. It's a gold mine :-)

However, there are some of us on D/N meters (getting the deemed export) and consuming virtually 100% of what we consume. So we are using the electricity generated from the panels and getting paid for units which we're not exporting. Best of both worlds. For me, I also get a few euros a week from a few old bitcoin miners I have lying around from energy I'd otherwise be exporting, which also heats the office a few degrees Celsius and reduces the need to turn on the heat.

But yeah, backwards spinning meters.....you might be getting covid that day they want to change it out - LOL

I reckon COVID is too mainstream now, a vomiting bug on the other hand is usually enough to send anyone packing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Great thing is that they are not involved with either. BGE are a supply company owned by Centrica. Gas Networks Ireland deliver the gas and ESBN deliver the electricity.

Doesnt change the fact that they are ashower of barstewards though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Last time I was with BGE for my gas and electric, they got my billing wrong every single bill for the year and I ended up spending hours on the phone to their useless call-centre staff explaining how percentages work. I would only go back to them now if they were way way cheaper than everyone else, which they never are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭alexf1

So, I have a new install just done last week. 6.4kWp system with 6kW inverter. 48.5kWh generated since 12pm Wednesday, which I’m very happy with. Smart meter being installed tomorrow. I figured I could get FIT for metered generation but only now reading that I need to be on a Smart tariff. Is this correct?

Currently with SSE since July 2022 on a 33% duel fuel discount. If I switch to a “Smart” tariff I’ll be paying way way more than I am right now. Do I get paid anything for export on my current contract with smart meter installed?

Muppets:

I don't disagree, but specifically what did they do wrong this time?

Also, am I the only one imagining that the "dedicated microgeneration team" is just a rigged up answering machine like from the IT crowd?

Well they said March initially, or even Feb and they keep pushing it out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Why are you switching to a Smart meter, cancel it as Smart meter plans are the most expensive out there

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

do NOT get a smart meter. They are anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

Have official cru complaint reply from complaints team at bord gais guaranteeing backpayment from Feb to when I left them last year would be paid first week of march. Now they can't find my old account. They obviously don't realise I'm not a person who gives up 😁

Post edited by irishchris on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Stick it to them!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Anyone else get FIT from a previously closed EI account? It doesn't list this as FIT but "ex Gratia payment"! Now lets see how/if they sent me the money!

Advertisement