Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I wasnt at home. My young lad knew they were coming to do the tails as it was booked a few weeks ago.

It was only last night that I spotted it had been changed. Ive raised a complaint with ESBN but I doubt Ill get anywhere.

Should I push for a D/N meter now do you think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I would, think @ELM327 got changed back from SMART to D/N

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Hi All,

currently on the full whack unit rate from Energia (48.44c!!), looking around I see Flogas are Charging 38c (fixed for a year) and paying 24c FIT, so was wondering does anyone know what the frequency of payments from Flogas are and should I now look to have a smart meter installed as they are a bit ambiguous as to weather they will pay deemed export if the ESB havent already installed a smart meter?!?

btw I have 4.8Kwp south facing, no battery.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Flogas apparently pay every two months, similar to Energia

I think I'll be switching over to them as well when my Energia discount ends. The rates are better but the standing charges are nearly €400 per year

I'm holding off requesting a smart meter as they're still a rip off and I'm doing better on deemed export than metered

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Just make sure you read the T&Cs, the flogas rates are fixed rates as far as I know, whilst other providers are variable.

My view is if offering fixed rates, whilst lower than other providers variable rates, rates probably will fall, but not if you locked into a fixed rate.

That's just my 2c,nim out of contract, renewed with Energia to buy some time, but probably move with 14day cooling period to SSE as they have lower variable rate after their 15% discount as opposed to Energia 10% discount.

• Advertisement

Very true, personally I'm okay with fixing, I don't see rates going down much. Remember wholesale prices are at 2021 levels which was still quite high compared to COVID times

And if rates do drop considerably then it'll probably be worth just posting the €50 break contract fee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Well that's nice! shouldn't have anything to pay then

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭alexf1

Any accountants on here? I will probably export a decent amount this year and hope to get about €800 from micro generation. Can I write off these 'profits' against the cost of the solar panels? I mean, if a commercial business can write off the cost of equipment why can't I do it for 'micro generation'? The cost of my system is €12000. I'm only making a 'profit' because of the massive investment in the system, and ultimately I see it as a loss because I'll be paying more out than I get back until the loan is paid off.

Was your €12k wholly and exclusively invested for the purpose of exporting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Why are people exporting so much? If you have solar big enough to export decent amounts surely you'd have a battery?

Just curious as I'm seeing a few people exporting decent amounts, I wouldn't want to be wasting a single watt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Putting a lot of eggs in the FIT basket.

What happens when companies inevitably start reducing the FIT payment?

oversizing setup to improve Winter generation, setups geared towards EV charging but there will be days when EV not home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Ill take this one...

The system always has limits. At mid day around 1:30 my east west system is peaking with the sun hitting all 19 panels. That means i could possibly hit 3,4 or close to 5kw being collected. My battery is 5kw in size but it has a limit of 2.5kw charging. if i dont have either my eddi diverting or an ev plugged in.. or a house load on big enough to take the excess im exporting...

The days i don't work from home are the days i dont want to see massive sunshine...cause i wont be able to self consume it.

Thanks to FIT at least there is something for when the cup overflows!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

For every unit exported the cost of a unit imported works out at roughly 7 cent for me anyway (EI). Batteries don’t come cheap and in the future I expect there will be a lot less battery use as EVs become the norm. If the price of batteries drops significantly and FIT payments decrease it might financial make sense to get a battery but it doesn’t in my case.

Then you buy a battery 😁

I agree that the current FIT rates will drop, but if they're in line with electricity prices then it's not so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭JayBee66

I exported 1.5MWh last year and expect to export 2MWh this year. I have a 5KW battery and from March to September it's full by mid-morning.

I use export as a secondary battery for the period October to February when I can buy back my export for a 5c loss on the export/import spread. I can't justify another battery and it wouldn't hold 2MW.

I don't and won't use a diverter because a) the expense eats into any savings b) even though the hot water cylinder (solar thermal rated) is well-insulated, electricity dumped into it gets wasted as the tank gives up its heat in 24 hours. I prefer to heat water when needed e.g. electric showers or a kettle of hot water to wash the dishes. Once a week I'll turn the immersion heater on to take the cylinder up to 60C for legionella and for clothes in the press.

I never buy cars new and I don't particularly like any of the current crop of secondhand electric cars so dumping excess load there is not currently an option.

I feel I have optimised as best as I can.

I assume that FIT will decrease over time and that's just the way of it. Early adopters always get the best of things until the system works out a way to gouge all the profit out for itself and leave nothing for the rest of us. I will just find ways to use less electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

Wow, like I wrote that myself. I have the very same views on the optimise stuff you mentioned. I got solar and still want to use the least amount of electricity in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have exported 90kWh since september 9th. I'm on a zero export mission but will be happy once I export less than the deemed amount over 12 months.

Of course, once we inevitably lose the deemed export and get moved to smart meters, I'll be happier to export any unused electricity as I'll get paid for it.

Oooops

Nope. Couldn’t afford a battery as well as panels. Didn’t want to do a solar install twice so just filled the roof with panels. This is a long term investment, a battery will come later. An EV will come sooner or later. My question still stands though…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Search the thread. Its been discussed before incl links to revenue guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭con747

Put four names on the account and each one is entitled to a €200 exemption. Check post #2357

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Same here. If you have a smart meter the usage data is all available on the ESB networks site, so I've gone and worked out my expected bill for Feb, but still no sign of the actual bill from E.I. The contract says you will be billed every month on the 5th (I think) with the bill to be paid within 14 days. We're now on the 17th and no bill. Not that it's any big deal, but it's odd.

I had exactly the same situation a few months back.... replacing the tails, ESB networks came same day as the guys putting in my car charger ...... came in, changed the tails and put in a smart meter. I was in the house and didn't even realis they had joined the party while the other guys were working... he spoke to the charger techs and didn't even bother to see if I was home! And I had declined the Smart meter previously too. The must be on a commission to get those things in.

I was a bit undecided about the merits of the smart meter vs. d/n meter going forward so I left it at that. When it came to looking at the various options I liked the E.I. weekend booster (free Sat) and went for that. It's working out very well so far (car charging on Sat, various other moveable stuff moved to Sat.). I like the benefits of getting the usage data too... can really track what's going on.

So a sneaky move by ESB networks, but maybe not worth the hassle of trying to move back, unless you're really into (or need) night charging. Look at the all plans first anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah I can see my bill is going to be about 30 euro for the two months but they just haven't issued it

If you have four earners in the house that's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭con747

Very few here would need more than 2 names on the account in fairness.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

ok, getting to the stage now of thinking of jumping on the metered CEG path when my precious Energia EV plan ends, and currently SSE Night Boost looks the best of a shockingly bad lot but their peak rate is eye-watering 😭 (67c!!) but this is offset somewhat by their 24c CEG rate... not even considering BG, EI (gangsters), and not going PAYG.. anyone else considering taking the plunge from D\N to Smart to get paid for metered export and have exceled the various rates, usage, etc.?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

Smart to get paid for metered export and have exceled the various rates, usage, etc.?

@jkforde, have a look here (not excel): https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058252242/calculating-the-best-time-of-use-tariff#latest

• You will need to update the rates, very out of date now. If you do, please share.
    • It does not consider low/excessive use limitations. On the TODO list for the next version (android).

I tried to get a D/N plan with an 'active' smart meter. Almost managed it. Settled for a 40% discount on Energias Smart EV plan. I'm ok with the usage limitation. For me the full package is competitive with the D/N equivalent from Sept last.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

Advertisement