Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Do they make you somehow prove you have an EV?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I didnt see any mention of EVs, not sure if you have to prove you work for BWG or something though ( I assume not )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I was looking at this tariff - but i read that BWG means Spar/Mace only. No idea if they check or not! But id hate to sign up with that link - then later find out im switched but on a different tariff cause i dont qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

I wouldn't have much hope for flogas based on their website...... Seemingly they have access to 1.2Kw panels

https://www.flogas.ie/about-solar-pv/micro-generation.html

The calculation is that for every 1.2KW panel , 357 kwh will be fed back to the grid. So, for a 4.8 kw installation – 4 standard PV panels, an annual feed in volume of 1,428kwh will be assumed or “deemed”.

For homes and small businesses who have less than 6kw of Solar PV installed – ie 5 or less 1.2kw panels, each supplier will set a feed in rate. 

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They will just be getting the figures from ESBN the same as every other supplier I would have thought? All I want to know is if anyone who was with them on here has actually received a payment or not. 0.24c isn't a bad rate either if they are actually crediting people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

AFAIK Flogas have the cheapest night rate at the moment anyway, so even if you don't get the deal it's probably the best offer

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭JayBee66

I guess which tariff you go for depends on a variety of things, namely...

• Do you have a battery?
    • Do you feed-in excess with the desire to buy it back in the winter for the least amount possible?
    • How much is a supplier offering in FIT?
    • What will your average purchase price be per KWh in the winter? i.e. the aggregate price, if charging a battery at night and topping up during the day.

You would go for the cheapest night rate if you only intend using a battery in the winter, not use any day or peak rate electricity and not feed-in to care what the FIT rate is.

Important data to gather is; how much do you expect to export per year and how much do you need to import during the winter. That will probably need a few years of data. Currently, (and partly thanks to government handouts) I have more credit than I need in winter but that will change if I go for a heat pump and the reason why I am wary of going for a heat pump.

I am currently with SSE Airtricity, which pays the highest FIT, charges the fourth lowest rural standing charge and charges the fifth lowest night rate. At least according to my spreadsheet. If I only use what I put into the battery overnight then I am buying back my electricity at 5.4c/KWh (i.e. night rate 29.4 - FIT 24.0) If you were lucky then you might have gotten an EV tariff that pays you a few cents to charge up at night so long as you are buying back your feed-in.

Some of the tariffs (especially Pinergy) are very hard to understand. In February of next year (when the current contract runs out) I will gather what tariff data I can and act accordingly.

Maybe we should have a thread where the latest tariffs are published in black and white so people can make an objective decision without all the ifs and buts on the suppliers' websites.

Post edited by JayBee66 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

ESB Networks told me today said CRU have determined that a 24hr meter is not eligible for deemed export (I'm still on a 24hr meter). Anyone been told otherwise? ESB person I spoke to seemed to be clued in and said they had read the CRU decision.

And they said to contact CRU directly. So I've emailed CRU to confirm. Nothing on the site I can see.

AFAIK if you hadn't declined a smart meter you were entitled to deemed export on a 24hr meter (I haven't declined).

If they say I'm not entitled to it, I'll ask about a D/N meter. Don't have a battery and peak rates on smart meters tariffs are scary at mo. So will likely move to a D/N in the interim until the smart meter comes.

Btw, I believe smart meters are good so we balance when we use power to reduce overall peak demand. But tariffs are dog rough at mo and favour energy providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭con747

Not sure if it was on here or another platform but I'm fairly sure I did see someone say they were getting FIT from a supplier with a 24hour meter. I could be mistaken though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If you are on a 24hr tariff it means you are eligible for a smart meter as they also offer 24hr tariffs and so you would get a measured export then rather than deemed export. You should be able to expedite the install of a smart meter and stay on your existing 24hr tariff.

So, I'd agree with the advice you have been given.

Deemed export only seems to be for those that are not eligible for a smart meter (i.e. those on d/n tariffs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

Yep thats been my understanding since they first proposed deemed export and FIT, but as @con747 stated definitely someone on facebook solar group claimed they are on a 24 hr normal meter and getting deemed fit.

claimed they are on a 24 hr normal meter and getting deemed fit

The exact CRU wording to be eligible for deemed export is:

"The customer must not be eligible for a smart meter installation as part of the ESBN-led deployment approach under the NSMP at this time or they are eligible for a smart meter installation but unable to have a smart meter installed for other reasons outside of their control."

So, that person must fit into that latter category for some reason. Could simply be that they haven't got around to installing smart meters in his area yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Or theu could be a couch expert like most FB lunatics

That's me '..or eligible for a smart meter installation but unable to have a smart meter installed for other reasons outside of their control'. They haven't rolled them out yet and I'm in D12. I got a letter maybe 1 year ago inviting me to book an early slot as part of the rollout. I'll see what the CRU say.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Or people with 3 phase meters. Which also don’t have a smart alternative at the moment. Changing later this year I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

I think I asked this before so apologies but does someone have a link to the estimated usage rates for day/night meter FIT

What do you mean by usage rates?

Do you mean number of people on d/n tariffs that have FiT?

Sorry I mean the estimated FIT based on the inverter size you have if you have a d/n meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

MEC x Capacity Factor x Export Factor x Provision Interval

so for 5kwp inverter:

5.0kWp x 0.097 x 0.35 x 8760hrs

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

are people getting this recognised and getting a few bob for it?

• Advertisement

Yes and Yes

Got paid in full from Feb 2022. Some people are struggling to get money from their providers but it will come eventually, as its in law.

yep, Energia are on the ball in my experience, getting 500 export units per 2mth billing at 18c per unit. not the highest rate but more than compensated by their now sadly extinct 9c night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lebruski

Hi DC999,

The CRU told me I was not entitled to deemed export due to my 24hr meter, I never declined a smart meter either. I have been refused any deemed export by Energia before the install of my smart meter back in Feb. I have lost out on 9 months on deemed export.

better late than never submitting the Nc6 form so . . . .

500 units - how did you get that much?

5.0kWp x 0.097 x 0.35 x 8760hrs => 1,502 units?

6.0kWp x 0.097 x 0.35 x 8760hrs => 1,784 units?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

On the topic of Energia, how easygoing are they at refunding credit to people who leave? I've got several hundred in credit now and probably going to switch to Flogas next month unless Energia do something drastic

Last time this happened with BG I had to ring them a few times and it took a while to get the refund. Ideally Energia would just deposit it into my account automatically

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Christ, was hopping that wasn't the case - thanks for that. Writing is on the wall for my 24hr meter so.

How long from when you applied for a smart meter before you got one?

that's what on my latest bill, reckon it's backdated though as they were sorting out the data with ESBN, my expected deemed export would be 1487kwh annually

correspond with them via email, don't mess around with the phone, email always best with customer services albeit slower but you have a trail. BGE are a shower so it'll be hard to match that level of disinterest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Lebruski

Hi DC999,

It didn't take long, the installers contacted me. Approx two weeks from the letter. I was under the impression I would get deemed export so I wasn't looking for a smart meter.

Lebruski.

Advertisement