Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Lab

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

I have a 4570k in my current PC. When I eventually build a new pc (probably won't be until next year) I plan on turning my current one into a plex server. Obviously it's not as good as the 4790S but hopefully it's not far off it.

Thats more than enough. it has the same igpu as the 4790s, so in theory the hardware accellerated transcoding should be the same.

EDIT

I assume you mean the 4670K??? i didnt think there was a 4570K

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

tazzzZ wrote: »
    Thats more than enough. it has the same igpu as the 4790s, so in theory the hardware accellerated transcoding should be the same.

EDIT

I assume you mean the 4670K??? i didnt think there was a 4570K

Just checked and you are right, it is the 4670K. I'm pretty sure I've been saying 4570k for years. :D

Good to know it'll do the job, just got to get the new PC first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Im assuming you just forgot to put the /1000 on the end of the switch bit... either way shouldnt be a bottleneck for 720p.

In fairness its worth the upgrade. plenty of good bargains to be had on hardware out there. In the past I had a very nice middle ground cpu with the 4790S(also a T varient) thats low power and has onboard igpu which you can use for transcoding if thats something you ever do and dont want a seperate gpu for it. I would look for the more modern equivalent. Maybe a 9900t or lower tier or previous gen varient?

The reason id choose this over a ryzen is quicksink works well with plex if i remember correctly and can do even 4k transcodes (but i wouldnt advise this for other reasons). It has a marked tdp of 35W which is nice and managable... even if these are very loose guidance of power usage.

If you have another gpu to use in this then id be going ryzen all day long personally. cost to preformance is just a no brainer on this IMO.

+/1000 prob could go put in a 10 GB switch, but in house traffic is low. I'd love to deploy ubiquity and replace the wifi mesh along the way, but. one step at a time !

If im correct, you cant share the GPU in unraid, it's either assigned or unassigned, and I really just want to get over the 720p limit. But we dont know whats causing that right now, assuming it's transcoding audio maybe. i've never tried 4K as 1080p usually buffers.

any who, the hashcat requirement is driving a separate GPU either way. One of two cards. board/ sli dependant etc...

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    +/1000 prob could go put in a 10 GB switch, but in house traffic is low. I'd love to deploy ubiquity and replace the wifi mesh along the way, but. one step at a time !

If im correct, you cant share the GPU in unraid, it's either assigned or unassigned, and I really just want to get over the 720p limit. But we dont know whats causing that right now, assuming it's transcoding audio maybe. i've never tried 4K as 1080p usually buffers.

any who, the hashcat requirement is driving a separate GPU either way. One of two cards. board/ sli dependant etc...

Have a look at spaceinvaderone's youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZDfnUn74N0WeAPvMqTOrtA

more spacifically this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoVJ0460cro

It may or may not be what you are talking about in terms of GPU assignment. Again probably another reason to go intel perhaps? the igpu can be assigned to plex while descreate could be assigned to whatever VM or other docker you want.

Have a look at spaceinvaderone's youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZDfnUn74N0WeAPvMqTOrtA

more spacifically this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoVJ0460cro

It may or may not be what you are talking about in terms of GPU assignment. Again probably another reason to go intel perhaps? the igpu can be assigned to plex while descreate could be assigned to whatever VM or other docker you want.

I see where you're comming from now ! so, a concept there would be , what do i need for plex, Igpu would suffice, most of the stream should be direct play, but i could still leverage a seperate GPU ( or two ) for something else like a dedicated hashcat machine then.

I assume there are costings assoicated with this however, intel via AMD, the number of sockets + cores, which means diff boards etc ..

• Advertisement

So after some initial clicking arround i'm starting here, with little to no research on the hardware or limitations on the board / case etc.

No GPU selected as of yet, but the target would be 1 if not 2 1080 TI's. and no storage selected as of yet, as thats JBOD.

CPU: AMD Threadripper 2920X 3.5 GHz 12-Core Processor (£372.40 @ Alza)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4 59.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£73.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: ASRock X399 Taichi ATX sTR4 Motherboard (£328.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory (£110.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory (£110.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK ATX Full Tower Case (£84.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£102.40 @ Alza)
    Total: £1183.51

Any looming concerns ? or thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you're only going 12 core, why not 3900X?

Serephucus wrote: »
    If you're only going 12 core, why not 3900X?

Damn it ! thats a perfectly good point ...

Ok so refactored with new Mobo and cooler.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor (£417.50 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£72.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard (£289.98 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK ATX Full Tower Case (£84.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£102.40 @ Alza)
    Total: £1188.60

Now, to be clear: Threadripper does give you advantages.

You get more PCI lanes, so if you want to add in 10Gb ethernet, more M.2, or a GPU or two to play around with passthrough to a VM, a PCI card for more SATA ports... There are reasons to pick it.

I've gone with the X470D4U, coming from an X399 Taichi. It's limiting, in several factors (as above) but I'm not too bothered because it's to the point now where the unRAID box is the main storage and the 'day-to-day, leave alone and don't screw with it' stuff. I have a second box that I use for testing and breaking things.

You refactored build look decent. I'd ditch the RAM for something else though. There's no point running anything above 3600MHz or so with Ryzen, as once you go about 3733MHz, the infinity fabric (the interconnect between CPU dies) decouples from the memory frequency, and adds latency. I'd also see if you can get a 2x16GB kit, just in case you want to add more down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There is a valid reason to buy higher-spec RAM: dropping the speed to 3600MHz & tightening the timings.

Now, to be clear: Threadripper does give you advantages.

You get more PCI lanes, so if you want to add in 10Gb ethernet, more M.2, or a GPU or two to play around with passthrough to a VM, a PCI card for more SATA ports... There are reasons to pick it.

I've gone with the X470D4U, coming from an X399 Taichi. It's limiting, in several factors (as above) but I'm not too bothered because it's to the point now where the unRAID box is the main storage and the 'day-to-day, leave alone and don't screw with it' stuff. I have a second box that I use for testing and breaking things.

You refactored build look decent. I'd ditch the RAM for something else though. There's no point running anything above 3600MHz or so with Ryzen, as once you go about 3733MHz, the infinity fabric (the interconnect between CPU dies) decouples from the memory frequency, and adds latency. I'd also see if you can get a 2x16GB kit, just in case you want to add more down the line.

And i think the limitations of a NON-TR will be the deciding factor here, the x399 looks amazing from the perspective of expansion, affords me the ability to put in two 1080ti's over time in sli. and possibly a smaller card to dedicate to plex ( should it be required ).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    There is a valid reason to buy higher-spec RAM: dropping the speed to 3600MHz & tightening the timings.

One could only assume this is a software / bios configuration, but how can it be confirmed cpu perf testing ?

And i think the limitations of a NON-TR will be the deciding factor here, the x399 looks amazing from the perspective of expansion, affords me the ability to put in two 1080ti's over time in sli. and possibly a smaller card to dedicate to plex ( should it be required ).

One could only assume this is a software / bios configuration, but how can it be confirmed cpu perf testing ?

out of curiosity is there a reason you are set on the 1080ti's? Dont get me wrong they have been amazing gpu's but they are getting old at this point and i think they are very overpriced still. And with the 30XX on the way i imagine the 20 series will drop heavily in price in the coming months.

Also i would defo be saying to go with TR but thats just because im currently being limited by PCIe lanes in my build.

out of curiosity is there a reason you are set on the 1080ti's? Dont get me wrong they have been amazing gpu's but they are getting old at this point and i think they are very overpriced still. And with the 30XX on the way i imagine the 20 series will drop heavily in price in the coming months.

Also i would defo be saying to go with TR but thats just because im currently being limited by PCIe lanes in my build.

The 1080ti's seem to hold a sweet spot based on price vs return, i'm not interested in 4K gaming, so it's pure MH/s that im really interested in.

That being said, currently im using a VM to run hashcat, with in GPU, and it's fine! well, not fine, it's horrific, so any upgrade to a GPU is better than no upgrade.

Folks i'm back for some guidance, Case and PSU related, the marketplace is flooded with options.

So far the confirmed spec is ..

AMD Threadripper 1950X
    Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3
    ASRock X399 Taichi ATX
    And 4 Dimm's of Memory.

I'm aiming for a mix of drives also, but nothing excessive, and space for something like a 1080ti. ( eventually )

I'd like to put in 120 mm fans , or at the very least have this thing run as quietly as possible, so taking in to account that for the PSU fan also I guess.

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated :)

Optimum Tech recently did a video of the best 120mm fans (actually a follow-up to a previous video)
    TL;DR - Buy a few Arctic P12s. :)

Optimum Tech recently did a video of the best 120mm fans (actually a follow-up to a previous video)

I was just looking AT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsMNu0gWlZw

What the hells with all the RGB !! I just want airflow, not to host a damn rave, case manufacturers really make me wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Folks i'm back for some guidance, Case and PSU related, the marketplace is flooded with options.

So far the confirmed spec is ..

AMD Threadripper 1950X
    Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3
    ASRock X399 Taichi ATX
    And 4 Dimm's of Memory.

I'm aiming for a mix of drives also, but nothing excessive, and space for something like a 1080ti. ( eventually )

I'd like to put in 120 mm fans , or at the very least have this thing run as quietly as possible, so taking in to account that for the PSU fan also I guess.

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated :)
    Where are you buying a 1950X?
    I don't see them anywhere now except for stupid prices - did you mean 2950X?

For cooler, don't go with the NH-U9 TR4-SP3 - get an ARCTIC Freezer 50 TR (Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 / be quiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4 if you want looks for worse performance) [review @ Kitguru]

I will have a Fractal Design R6 TG on Adverts later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Recommended these these things ages ago. Nice to see some numbers confirming how good they are.

Can pick up 5 packs on Amazon for about £16 in sales. Crazy good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

Is there generally a noticeable difference in noise between 120's and 140's?

• Advertisement

Where are you buying a 1950X?

2nd hand.

I will have a Fractal Design R6 TG on Adverts later in the week.

Pm me with a proposed price you have in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Inviere wrote: »
    Is there generally a noticeable difference in noise between 120's and 140's?

The 140's should be quieter as they don't need as much RPM to shift the same amount of air.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm curious as to why you are ordering "fast" ram, in 4x8gb sticks for your use case.

From the little I used hashcat and as far as I can see, if you going to be doing GPU cracking then basically you just need roughly the same amount of ram in the system that's equal to the GPU's. Additional space helps with cached dict lists.

But the speed doesn't mean anything. If you ran some benchmarks you might see a difference, but running VM's and using it as a house storage box/server its not going to make the slightest difference in the real world. It just a waste of money. You might say I can get another 4x8 sticks in future but they are not going to run at those speeds in that config.

For the same price you could pick up 4x16gb sticks or 2x32gb sticks with another 2 down the chain. For me, having a cap of 256gb over 64gb is far more important. Or having 32gb now available for caching would offer far more performance.

I'm curious as to why you are ordering "fast" ram, in 4x8gb sticks for your use case.

From the little I used hashcat and as far as I can see, if you going to be doing GPU cracking then basically you just need roughly the same amount of ram in the system that's equal to the GPU's. Additional space helps with cached dict lists.

But the speed doesn't mean anything. If you ran some benchmarks you might see a difference, but running VM's and using it as a house storage box/server its not going to make the slightest difference in the real world. It just a waste of money. You might say I can get another 4x8 sticks in future but they are not going to run at those speeds in that config.

For the same price you could pick up 4x16gb sticks or 2x32gb sticks with another 2 down the chain. For me, having a cap of 256gb over 64gb is far more important. Or having 32gb now available for caching would offer far more performance.

In the end, I opted for 4 x 16 .

What I'm really trying to achieve is, something to cover all odds, I dont have a daily use for hashcat, but I'd like to fire a GPU at it in the event I do need to use it. But i may not go the GPU route immediately.

In fact, to give some additional background, I'm coming off a Parrotsec VM, which has 1 core and 2 GB of memory assigned, simply to prevent stealing power from the Physical host.

Advertisement