Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to end your tenancy agreement early if moving abroad?

Options
  • 07-07-2020 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

HI.

I currently live in London renting a flat that is owned by a large corporation and have been there for while now.

I signed a new tenancy extension for another year back in February and during this process I asked the landlord if they could add a break out clause. They refused to and was left with no choice but to resign for now.

I am planning to move abroad within the next 3-6months or whenever the right opportunity presents itself and i feel stuck. I feel trapped and wondering if there are ways I can cut short my tenancy agreement if I had to leave, say next month to live and work abroad?

Am i stuck here until next year February when my current contract ends? I am worried that i am missing out on opportunities abroad as i can't leave until the end of my tenancy and i am asking for some advice on what i could do in this situation?

How do people with similar dilemmas handle a situation like this? Or if you as a person were looking to even buy your own property? Buying a property or moving abroad is very difficult to time perfectly along the end of a tenancy agreement and wondering if there are ways to end it in the right manner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Property laws and tenancy laws are very different in Ireland than they are in the UK.

I know a UK equivalent site has been mentioned here before but can't recall it right now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Tell them you have no customers for your product as the cops are you giving you heat. Im sure he'll terminate it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

We can’t comment on tenancy law in a different jurisdiction as we have no knowledge of tenancy law where you are resident.

Advertisement