Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Understairs toilet

• 08-07-2020 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

I want to install an under stairs toilet. Where is the cistern water normally fed from. Can I plumb a feed from the kitchen or do I have to locate a feed from upstairs? I'm currently having the kitchen done so that would be the easiest option.

Comments

its not the water feed you need to worry about..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Off topic but is that vinyl plank flooring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

As long as they have plenty of Tupperware there shouldn’t be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

colm_mcm wrote: »

They look like these; https://www.associatestile.com/product/country-blanco

Source: I have the same tiles and you wouldn't be the first to mistake them for not tiles (someone else thought they were wood).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Listen to the brown finger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Correct mp3guy. I was considering vinal but opted for the tile instead.

So any opinions on where to get water feed from?

We did an extension on our house, and part of it ran along the side of the house (L shaped, back and side, extension).

In the part on the side of the house, we added a bathroom. The toilet is against the wall that the kitchen sink is against on the other side (they're not actually back-to-back, they're about 10-12ft away from each other, but for the sake of explaining it, they back onto the same wall). Our kitchen was originally on the other side of the room, so it had been moved to this wall during the extension. There was no water over here at all originally.

The bathroom has a shower, a toilet and sink. The kitchen just has a sink. Outside the bathroom, mounted on an external wall of the house, is our (gas, combi) boiler.

As far as I can recall, the plumber took a mains water connection to all of the above. He just tee'ed off from the sink, and ran the same mains connection to the toilet, then to the shower, etc. Some people on here have said that this isn't the right way to do things, and you can get in a spot of bother for doing it, but we had SEAI out inspecting it and they signed off on it, the plumber was SEAI and RGI registered, and no one that was working on the house alongside him (qualified electrician, builder, etc.) batted an eyelid, so I'm fairly sure it's allowed.

EDIT: Obvious as it may sound, waste water is a bigger job. Make sure that if you're putting a toilet in, that you figure out what to do with the waste sooner than later. No point putting down a lovely floor, to have to rip it up again half an hour later.

Thanks kkv. This seems the most straightforward route.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Obviously if you plumb your toilet directly into the mains it's not going to work whenever the water is off.

Surely if you're putting in a toilet you're also putting in a sink so you're going to need to plumb from the hot tank anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Hot flush?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

If it's not a composting toilet you will need a waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Toilet will work off mains water bit condensation will be a pain as the water is so cold. I’ve seen it literally dripping off the outside of cisterns.

There are macerator pumped systems that can run waste through a 1.5 inch pipe similar to a sinks waste. Can make fitting a toilet simpler.

_Brian wrote: »
    Toilet will work off mains water bit condensation will be a pain as the water is so cold. I’ve seen it literally dripping off the outside of cisterns.

There are macerator pumped systems that can run waste through a 1.5 inch pipe similar to a sinks waste. Can make fitting a toilet simpler.

1.5inch pipe for waste? Jaysus ye wouldn’t want to be using that if you’ve had a big steak dinner the night before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Off topic again;
    I just want to ask if your planning to keep that cooker switch?
    Perhaps consider changing to a Clipsal Classic like this:
    It's the same size as a single socket will look much neater than the huge notepad sized switch
    https://www.electricalwholesaler.ie/products/plugssocketsswitches/domesticplugsswitchessockets/domesticswitches/domestic1gangswitches/1gang20adoublepoleswitchclipsal
    I've changed my entire house to clipsal feel like a beach stone no sharp edges and no loud clicks neither
    Can have up to 5 switch on a single plate,
    Anyway back on topic,

LenWoods wrote: »
    Off topic again;
    It's the same size as a single socket will look much neater than the huge notepad sized switch
    https://www.electricalwholesaler.ie/products/plugssocketsswitches/domesticplugsswitchessockets/domesticswitches/domestic1gangswitches/1gang20adoublepoleswitchclipsal
    I've changed my entire house to clipsal feel like a beach stone no sharp edges and no loud clicks neither
    Anyway back on topic,

Haven't even considered it. Having a nightmare getting the kitchen installer at the moment anyway

Haven't even considered it. Having a nightmare getting the kitchen installer at the moment anyway

There also available in black with optional green lens instead of a red,
    As saw in my home improvement thread if interested its here: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/

I've changed the under stairs toilet if that keeps things on topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Do watch this first, and check if the switches are clicky, or slowly fusing themselves together :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrMiqEkSk48

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

Staying a bit off topic!! I installed vinyl plank flooring in my kitchen I was deciding between the wood effect tiles like OP and vinyl

Wasn't much info around about Vinyl plank flooring when I was looking but I bit the bullet and went for it.

I'm delighted with it was easy enough to fit and looks well

If you want any info on it or a picture of what it looks like drop me a PM

astrofool wrote: »
    Do watch this first, and check if the switches are clicky, or slowly fusing themselves together :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrMiqEkSk48

In my case there smaller switches; which make smaller noise
    Thanks though good information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

If you are going to use them poo shoots some makes dont allow 90 degree bends within the first few meters

• Advertisement

LenWoods wrote: »
    Off topic again;
    Anyway back on topic,

I used TrendiSwitch. They're a bit pricy, but they look really well in my opinion:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trendi-Artistic-Tactile-Switch-ART-WHS2WH/dp/B00DP3KSA6/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=trendi+switch+cooker&qid=1594503714&sr=8-9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Richard? If you're still hanging on in there as ye thread becomes a switch discussion fest? I have to ask: Where is this 'understairs' in relation to ye kitchen? :confused:

Stigura wrote: »
    Richard? If you're still hanging on in there as ye thread becomes a switch discussion fest? I have to ask: Where is this 'understairs' in relation to ye kitchen? :confused:

Same as 99% I've seen in other homes, it's next to the kitchen.

Building regs etc?????

This is the soil pipe I intend tapping into. Problem is it seems to be glued in place. Doesn't seem to want to twist out. What are my options? Remove and replace the whole section? Or cut out a section?

Firstly, I am not a plumber so I could be totally wrong, but I think that's a waste water pipe rather than a soil pipe, and I don't believe it would be suitable for a toilet. Soil pipes are have a larger diameter for obvious reasons, but they are also vented for safety reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

awec wrote: »
    Firstly, I am not a plumber so I could be totally wrong, but I think that's a waste water pipe rather than a soil pipe, and I don't believe it would be suitable for a toilet. Soil pipes are have a larger diameter for obvious reasons, but they are also vented for safety reasons.

Pretty sure he's talking about the black pipe which is a soil pipe.

mp3guy wrote: »
    Pretty sure he's talking about the black pipe which is a soil pipe.

Could be right, not a plumber as I said, thought it looked a bit narrow!

I thought soil pipes were supposed to be vented?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Youd have to cut out a section, its most likely glued with PVC glue so you wont be able to remove it like that.

Cut out and get T junction you may have to put in straight connections too.

listermint wrote: »
    Youd have to cut out a section, its most likely glued with PVC glue so you wont be able to remove it like that.

Cut out and get T junction you may have to put in straight connections too.
    No , slip collars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No , slip collars

Touche!

The other soil pipe has an air vent. The one in the pic is from the bathroom. I've read about slip collars but I don't think they will fit. A slip collar will work for the white PVC pipe from the hand basin but the toilet pan pipe is the tricky one. I assume the pan waste pipe is 110mm. Same as the soil pipe. I can't figure out how to connect in a new waste pipe from the toilet. Is there such a connection for this type of job?

Teeing into an unvented soil stack might cause problems.
    May be better off asking in plumbing

Just for reference all th houses in the estate have the same set up. One soil stack has a vent and both lead into the sewer

Advertisement