Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on extraction and dental implants time frame

Options
  • 08-07-2020 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi all,

Background info, I'm historically a 'bad' dental patient - dental anxiety and putting off issues resulting in more problems. This year I made the decision to tackle all my dental issues and work through the anxiety. The practice I'm with are amazing and informative and I do feel I am in very safe hands.

I am scheduled to have two teeth removed next week. Upper and lower 7s LHS. The dentist talked me through the procedure and we briefly discussed dental implants. I was told I can make a decision on the implants after 6 months once I give the extraction sites time to heal (and bone graft time to take).

My question is, what is the maximum length of time I would have to pull the trigger on the implants? The financial burden of 2 implants on top of some other dental work that needs doing is going to be difficult for me, and while I do really want to resolve the dental issues the financial stress is increasing my anxiety. I can see myself being able to afford it in 10-11 months time but I don't know if leaving it that late will effect the feasibility of the implant?

Dentist also mentioned that if I do go with implants they will want to remove the wisdom teeth also. Is that normal? My wisdom teeth have never caused me any issues and where possible I'd like to not lose another two teeth.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any insight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

Are you missing other teeth as well?
    I wouldn’t be racing off to replace my 7s if I wasn’t..

Irregardless, you have to treat active disease and get solid foundations first before you consider any more advance rehabilitation or definite treatment. Implants can wait, get the essential dental treatment complete first.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

No I’ve never had any other teeth removed. However there is serious deterioration of both of them though and pain/discomfort in recent months which is what has prompted me to tackle it.

I saw the main dentist and was referred to the dental surgeon, both of whom indicated removal of these teeth was the only option. Also met with endodontist - not enough tooth left for root canal success.

Is it easy to adapt to living without your upper and lower 7ths? They seem like significant teeth to me

Advertisement