Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recommendation

Options
  • 08-07-2020 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi! I was given a Switch recently and I'm not really a 'gamer' but I quite enjoy sitting down, playing a game though I haven't done this in donkeys years. Wondered if anyone had any recommendations? I have Mario Karts which is great but I'm looking for something a little more 'mature' or with more of a story? I've enjoyed simulator games A LOT in the past.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I'll probably be the first of many to say Zelda Breath of the Wild. If you do get it, make sure you give it until at least you get the handglider. The game up until that is basically the tutorial. But it's absolutely amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

What exact games have you played that you've enjoyed? Then people can recommend similar games on switch.

Yep, Breath of the wild is an absolute must but maybe watch a review online to see if it's your kind of game.

A lot of the best switch games are not 'mature' and are for all ages. Mario Odyssey is a cracker. Again have a look at a decent review online to get an idea.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would recommend Zelda: Links Awakening before tackling Breath of the Wild.

BOTW is an amazing game but requires a bit more effort IMO, and it's easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer vastness of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CucamarMor

nintendoo wrote: »
    What exact games have you played that you've enjoyed? Then people can recommend similar games on switch.

Yep, Breath of the wild is an absolute must but maybe watch a review online to see if it's your kind of game.

A lot of the best switch games are not 'mature' and are for all ages. Mario Odyssey is a cracker. Again have a look at a decent review online to get an idea.

Thanks! Appreciate it. I've played Mario Karts (and enjoyed it), Metal Gear Solid, various transport simulator games, even a bit of Farm Simulator.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

CucamarMor wrote: »
    Thanks! Appreciate it. I've played Mario Karts (and enjoyed it), Metal Gear Solid, various transport simulator games, even a bit of Farm Simulator.

Cities: Skylines might be worth a look if you’re into sim games, it runs a bit slow once your city has any sort of decent population but it’s fun to play. Other than that go get yourself a copy of Breath of the Wild, it’s up there with some of the best games I’ve ever played. I have somewhere between 250-300 hours invested in it & it still pulls me back in. It’s an incredible game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 CucamarMor

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Cities: Skylines might be worth a look if you’re into sim games, it runs a bit slow once your city has any sort of decent population but it’s fun to play. Other than that go get yourself a copy of Breath of the Wild, it’s up there with some of the best games I’ve ever played. I have somewhere between 250-300 hours invested in it & it still pulls me back in. It’s an incredible game.

I've played Cities on the PC. Love it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Two Point Hospital is a hospital managment sim with a great sense of humour.
    Civilisation VI is also great on Switch.

awec wrote: »
    I would recommend Zelda: Links Awakening before tackling Breath of the Wild.

BOTW is an amazing game but requires a bit more effort IMO, and it's easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer vastness of it.

He's played metal gear solid , so breath of the wild should be fine. I really don't recommend Links Awakening. I found it tedious, illogical and frustrating. The design is clunky and linear. With BOTW you are never stuck. You can always do something else while you learn and skill up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

BOTW is one of the greatest games of all time. Outside of that and the NES/SNES downloads, Im really struggling to find one other game on the Switch to play.

The Nal wrote: »
    BOTW is one of the greatest games of all time. Outside of that and the NES/SNES downloads, Im really struggling to find one other game on the Switch to play.

What kind of games do you like ?

Ori and the Blind Forest if you don't have an Xbox.
    Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.
    Rayman Legends.
    Mario Odyssey.

• Advertisement

Go straight to Breadth of the wild.

It doesn't feel overwhelming at all imo - it's so cleverly designed that you can play it any way you want really.

The standout experience on switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sen7877

Hollow Knight and Ori and the Will of the Wisps are two similar (yet very different games) that I would recommend if you like exploration and good music (subjective, you might not think so)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sen7877 wrote: »
    Hollow Knight and Ori and the Will of the Wisps are two similar (yet very different games) that I would recommend if you like exploration and good music (subjective, you might not think so)

On the list now. Halfway through Horace and have Hades do play aswell.

Guess Im just missing original Nintendo releases that aren't aimed at very small kids. BOTW 2 basically!

I still miss Rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

nintendoo wrote: »
    He's played metal gear solid , so breath of the wild should be fine. I really don't recommend Links Awakening. I found it tedious, illogical and frustrating. The design is clunky and linear. With BOTW you are never stuck. You can always do something else while you learn and skill up.

Couldn't agree more with this. Didn't like Links Awakening at all, made no sense.

CucamarMor wrote: »

If you enjoyed Metal Gear Solid, look into Never Stop Sneakin'. It's basically taking the micky outta that series but it's good fun.
    And yes, look at reviews for BOTW. It's an amazing game.

Advertisement