Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yongnuo 50mm f1.8 mk2

Options
  • 08-07-2020 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭

Hi all I'm wondering about something... I purchased a Yongnuo 50mm mk2 there last week and had to return the lens as it was not working correctly, aperture kept getting stuck and closing fully giving Err 01 'communication with lens is faulty'

Using it with a Canon 1100d, it was very stiff to turn onto the body. Does anyone have this lens and a Canon EF or EF-S mount? Is it compatible?

I got to take a few shots with the lens and the bokeh is really good with it. As I said just wondering if it was that particular lens I got and if purchasing another one would be the same story.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I have one, and a 1200D. The sticky aperture is a "known issue" with the lens and easily fixed with a precision screwdriver, a drop of oil and the confidence to break something you've just bought!

Whether you've also got a problem with the mount is another thing, but in principle it's perfectly compatible with both of Canon's configurations.

While I bought the Yongnuo for still photography and found it to be "perfectly satisfactory", the autofocus is very noisy. For video, I subequently bought the Canon equivalent, and it's definitely better from a handling point of view ... but it tends to stay safe in the bag with my 70D while the Yongnuo gets a lot more action on the 1200D, down dark alleys and dodgy backstreets. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Could you explain the sticky aperture issue in more detail? Does it require taking the lens apart?

That is funny I thought there was a screw loose at the side and was looking at it thinking that looks like it needs tightening. in this area:

519354.png

It is a bit loud alright for auto focusing but this is not an issue for me as it will mostly be used in full manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Could you explain the sticky aperture issue in more detail? Does it require taking the lens apart?

I can't ... because I think I might have muddled up my lenses. :o It's my Canon that's Mk II, the Yongnuo is the Mk I - so in theory the known issue with that lens should have been fixed in the redesign.

Also, having just had a look at it to remind myself which screws I undid at the time, I'm trying to remember if it was the focus mechanism that used to get stuck rather than the aperture ...

All-in-all, I think it all comes down to a cheaper lens made cheaply, so things like this are likely to occur - but not on every lens. If you were offered a replacement, I'd take it and hope it was trouble-free; but if you've been refunded and have to place a new order, I'd probably be more inclined to go for the genuine Canon 50mm. Wait long enough and you might be able to get some kind of special offer/rebate that'd bring it close to the Yongnuo price.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have a MKI, no issues. Its noisy but I dont care.

Good to know about the mk1. I'm going chance the mk2 again and if it has the same issue I'll return and go with the mk1, which is cheaper also.

Things like this should definitely not occur with any lens no matter the price bracket or with any product you buy for that matter!

I emailed Yongnuo about it when I got the lens and have not heard a thing back. Thanks, will update when I receive the 2nd mk2.

• Advertisement

Received the 2nd mk2 there today fairly quick delivery was expecting on Wednesday. Still stiff to turn, definitely not as stiff as the last one. Just took a few shots with it and seems not to have the same issue with the aperture but time will tell.

Advertisement