Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog caught and killed a neighbour's cat

2»

Comments

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Why is this being said on here? The scenario being described seems a fairly plausible one to me: dog hates cat so attacks cat and cat dies. It’s not outlandish. If they were trolling, wouldn’t they at least try to be a bit more provocative and sensationalist? Seriously its like someone being accused of trolling because they describe being victim to a hit and run car accident or a burglary or a flaming bag of sh1t on the doorstep prank or whatever you want to suggest. Not THAT common but it happens frequently enough not to be unusual. Maybe you are trolling?

Have a quick look at any of his other posts. The OP is pretty much Walter Mitty.

Mods should get a better handle on persistent trolls in these boring times.

It shouldn't be that hard, maybe a group chat each morning about who's been taking the p*ss across each forum. If I can see it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Have a quick look at any of his other posts. The OP is pretty much Walter Mitty.

Mods should get a better handle on persistent trolls in these boring times.

I thought it sparked some interesting ethical questions and responses, regardless of authenticity.

I'm done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

I thought it sparked some interesting ethical questions and responses, regardless of authenticity.

Or it will lead to Rottweilers getting extra grief with lazy stereotyping.

Someone who is unsure about Rottweilers will stumble across this thread and think they are this evil kill everything dog.

If he wanted to start a discussion on dogs biting or killing why not talk about the French Bulldog who killed its owner or the Labrador who killed two 29 day old babies instead of made up nonsense about the big old bad restricted breeds.

Nudain is completely right. Go over to the motoring section and read all the nonsense from the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

You should find the owner and inform him/her. Of course she/he will be upset but it's the right thing to do. I can't imagine the owner wondering where's his/her cat have gone to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm currently minding my sister's dog. A rottweiler. She's a dote. I was letting her out to do a toilet.

After I released her, I noticed her charging for a cat I didn't realise was out there until it was too late. I let out a roar, the cat was too engrossed in a chicken carcass I left out for my feathered friends.

She caught the cat unfortunately and damaged him quite badly. The cat did not survive the ordeal. I currently have her in a basket in the shed wrapped in a bed sheet.

Could anyone please advise me on the best thing to do now? Should I post on my residents' WhatsApp group? Should I bury the cat in a hidden location and say nothing?

Is this a bad sign the dog attacked a cat?

Thanks for your contributions and sorry for the grizzly reading.

To clarify, the cat was in your garden?? If so, post it to the residents group that whoever owns it can collect it, there is no liability on your part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

To clarify, the cat was in your garden?? If so, post it to the residents group that whoever owns it can collect it, there is no liability on your part.

Yes. The neighbour's cat who wanders into my garden frequently was the one who was unfortunately killed.

Ludo wrote: »
    Yeah, and cats kill mice, etc. The difference is a cat (or a small dog) isnt going to seriously hurt or kill a child or even an adult. A dog like that who can't ce controlled is an entirely different propect. And using a cartoon as a defence...that was actually funny in fariness.

Theres nothing to suggest this dog will injure or seriously maim a child.

I get your concern about large dogs, I do. It's wrong to have that concern because the dog chased a cat though

FFS. Close it. It's nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I have two Rotties who are protective of the back garden.So if a cat wandered in,then yeah it wouldn't end well for the cat.But by your description,the cat is someone's beloved pet.So I would try and locate the owner and be sympathetic over the whole affair.IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yes. The neighbour's cat who wanders into my garden frequently was the one who was unfortunately killed.

No fault on your part. Let whoever owns it know. If they start looking for compensation etc tell them where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

ronivek wrote: »
    Am I the only one a little shocked at all the people posting on an Animals & Pet Issues forum who don't seem to give a rats ass about the owner of the cat? Am I missing something?

Agreed completely. Some of the posts on this thread have really shocked me (and its not the first time I've encountered disdain on this forum when people have simply been looking for help).

People saying the post is made up. First two replies are taking the p1ss out of the OP instead of trying to give advice. Too many responses encouraging the OP to not make any effort to tell the potentially anxious cat owner what happened. Blaming the dog for going after a cat:rolleyes::o Blaming the OP for not having control. Posts and posts about seagulls and crows eating meat when that isn't even that relevant to the story.

My dog got into an unfortunate situation a few weeks back that was really stressful for me as an owner. I'm so glad now that I didn't come on here at the time looking for advice or support as clearly I would have encountered the same levels of judgement.

OP- try and locate the cat owner. Do not blame the dog. He/she followed instinct and despite what others have said on here, there can be no correlation between a large dog killing a cat and being hostile or aggressive towards humans or children etc. Rottweilers are strong dogs, as all large dogs are, and I'm sure it happened in the blink of an eye. I know how quickly these things can happen. I think most dogs out there would have behaved the exact same way, if they were fast enough to catch the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I have a gentle whippet very good recall etc but if a cat was on our land he'd go after the cat he mightnt killl her but his instinct would drive him. Most cat owners understand the risk of their cat being allowed to be free, but do find the owner.

Iif you are too cowardly to say the dog killed the cat maybe say you found her on the road . But someone is missing her especially if there is a collar on the cat, that means she is a loved cat. Man up and do the right thing. There are some callous people on the animal thread, they should really be banned as soon as they start an emotive thread.

Advertisement