Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is every VF fixed line (FTTC/FTTH/ADSL) user getting rubbish speeds from 6pm to midni

• 08-07-2020 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭

Following on from a specific FTTH question last week, I've been monitoring my Vodafone VDSL/FTTC service more diligently. I'm finding that, my line operates at 80+/16+ Down/Up with 12-20 ms pings and jitter <=5 from 01:00 to 17:00 ish, it drops to 3/16 with 25 ms pings and jitter between 50 and 100+ ms between 18:00 and 00:00.

I have no reason to believe that the issue lies my side of the exchange, and am surmising that Vodafone's network is unable to cater for the traffic that's trying to get through it.

Anyone with insight into what might be happening with VF's network?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Its not every fixed line, there may be issues with portions of their Network but its not universal.

9728159691.png

On SIRO FTTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

dam099 wrote: »
    Its not every fixed line, there may be issues with portions of their Network but its not universal.

On SIRO FTTH

Sorry.. I should have been clearer... I was really thinking of connections that rely on services delivered from OpenEir exchanges, whether via OpenEir FTTH/FTTC or ADSL.

I don't know much about SIRO, but isn't it the case that it operates on the electricity supply network rather than the telephony network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Sorry.. I should have been clearer... I was really thinking of connections that rely on services delivered from OpenEir exchanges, whether via OpenEir FTTH/FTTC or ADSL.

I don't know much about SIRO, but isn't it the case that it operates on the electricity supply network rather than the telephony network?

No, its a fully fibre network similar to Openeir's FTTH network (but seperate of it). The only link to the electricity supply network is the part ownership by ESB and use of some of their poles and ducts.

There are reports of some VF customers on Openeir having issues but if their transit out is OK which the Siro speed suggests is the case and other ISPs are not having the same issues at Openeir exchanges that probably leaves something with their interconnection from wherever the handoff with Openeir occurs to their core network.

However a handful of people on Boards reporting issues is not representative of "every" fixed line and is a self selecting sample of their users. Not dismissing that you and others are having issues that are attributable to problems in portions of their network but its likely nowhere near as widespread as you seem to think.

that probably leaves something with their interconnection from wherever the handoff with Openeir occurs to their core network.

Exactly my point..

However a handful of people on Boards reporting issues is not representative of "every" fixed line and is a self selecting sample of their users. Not dismissing that you and others are having issues that are attributable to problems in portions of their network but its likely nowhere near as widespread as you seem to think.

I framed it as a question, as in "Is every VF fixed line"... rather than as a statement of fact, as in "Every VF fixed line is..."... I don't know one way or t'other. That's why I was asking the question.

I surmised that there is something happening within a part of the VF network between the exchange (Athlone in my case) and the point VF connects to the wider internet. I'm trying to get feedback from others if they are getting similar issues (albeit from an extreme!y narrow and self-selected sample).

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Gilbey

My vf ftth is the same. 150mb and then come 7 or 8pm its 4 or 5mb. It would appear vf are throttling the speeds. Going on nearly 2months now. Never again will I go with vf

• Advertisement

Gilbey wrote: »
    My vf ftth is the same. 150mb and then come 7 or 8pm its 4 or 5mb. It would appear vf are throttling the speeds. Going on nearly 2months now. Never again will I go with vf

What part of the country? No need for address -just town/exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

yea same here....the last few weeks at around 7pm it drops off sharply till midnight. Sometimes it even disconnects and that never used to happen.
    A discussion was started on my towns facebook page and there was over 100 comments of people with the same problems.

yea same here....the last few weeks at around 7pm it drops off sharply till midnight. Sometimes it even disconnects and that never used to happen.
    A discussion was started on my towns facebook page and there was over 100 comments of people with the same problems.

I don't use FB. Was there any common thread on that FB discussion that would inform us? Some locations in particular? Any conclusions?

I don't use FB. Was there any common thread on that FB discussion that would inform us? Some locations in particular? Any conclusions?

A few messages said that vf were doing it because of covid and because more people were online and at home, but id take that with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Gilbey

What part of the country? No need for address -just town/exchange

ballymahon, co longford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

519610.JPGYep just replying to say that my Vodafone connection constantly dropping here in Wicklow town
    absolutely piss poor when it is working with constant dropouts
    Makes no difference if on the lan or wifi
    519611.JPG

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=519610&stc=1&d=1594541952

Was getting up to 75mb up until last week but this rubbish is just unacceptable
    Also having trouble contacting Vodafone their support is absolute crap
    cant send them an email cant reset the password on my account
    Only seem to be accepting complaints through twitter

in this instance its a painfully poor service from vodafone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Its not everyone no. Just to throw our own experience in here. Both cases are FTTC, Dublin with 100meg line, down the country 90meg line.

I recently (start of COVID) switched from Sky to VF in Dublin and the speeds did go to pot for some reason. Sky was buttetproof except for it being €55 a month so moved to Vodafone based on cost. Everything began to stall and lag after moving to Vodafone so moved back to Sky again within cool-off and speeds and reliability were bulletproof again.

On the flip side, I'm down the country working from home with the parents and the broadband here with Vodafone is absolutely excellent and always getting at least 70meg on a 90meg profile never falling below. This was after a year of pain with Eir where you couldn't even watch RTE Player because pages failed to load etc. I'll never touch Eir again after that.

I've never been with Digiweb but only ever hear good things about them. I've tried Eir, Vodafone, Sky, Pure Telecom over the years and Vodafone and Sky would be the winners in my experience.

Did anyone get a service message from vodafone saying their bb will go off between 1am and 3am last tues morning.

I just checked my speeds here and it seems to be back to full speed at this time, which is peak time. I am wondering was the downtime tues morning the result of this.

Speed at 50mbps dl @7:10pm

Edit...it's dropping again Speed at 9mbps dl @8:12pm

further edit....it's dropping again Speed at 0.7mbps dl @21:52pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Still crap here in Wicklow too
    did manage to get on to them on twitter and they said they would have a look at it but they haven't done a thing as its complete and utter crap so its time to look elsewhere :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Same here in Kerry too. Was getting near enough 900Mbps - 950Mbps all day. Come 9pm its gone down to 5Mbps. Can barely stream netflix on the lowest setting. This seems to happen too regularly now

Same here in Kerry too. Was getting near enough 900Mbps - 950Mbps all day. Come 9pm its gone down to 5Mbps. Can barely stream netflix on the lowest setting. This seems to happen too regularly now

What your exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭LandonRicketts

What your exchange?

No sure the exchange but I'm in Tralee

EDIT: I hard reset the gigabox router there using the button at the back of the router and it seems to have sorted out my problem i think. Back to full speeds now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

FTTH in West Limerick, 500mb package, getting over 400mb anytime of the day/evening.

The problem must be affecting areas only (thankfully!)

Kencollins wrote: »
    FTTH in West Limerick, 500mb package, getting over 400mb anytime of the day/evening.

The problem must be affecting areas only (thankfully!)

Are you Vodafone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Yes, switched from Eir a few days ago. Vodafone 500mb + phone for 30 euro a month for 12 months

• Advertisement

Kencollins wrote: »
    Yes, switched from Eir a few days ago. Vodafone 500mb + phone for 30 euro a month for 12 months

Keep an eye on your 7pm-11pm speeds for a couple of days. Hopefully you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

I’m on Sky FTTH in Dublin and getting awful packet loss from after 5pm in the evening. Had to resort to going to tethering off my phone on Vodafone 4G which was pretty stable as kept dropping off conference calls all the time. I’ve still got a few months left on my Sky broadband contract.

Could I just put in a new order with eir again or would sky somehow block it? It’s basically unuesable for me for WFH as I’ve calls to the US everyday during peak congestion times.

digiman wrote: »
    I’m on Sky FTTH in Dublin and getting awful packet loss from after 5pm in the evening. Had to resort to going to tethering off my phone on Vodafone 4G which was pretty stable as kept dropping off conference calls all the time. I’ve still got a few months left on my Sky broadband contract.

Could I just put in a new order with eir again or would sky somehow block it? It’s basically unuesable for me for WFH as I’ve calls to the US everyday during peak congestion times.

Unless your service is being provided via OpenEir FTTH connecting into the Vodafone (VF) infrastructure from the local.exchange, I don't think you'll get any useful answer on this thread. Maybe your query needs it's own thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

People do it all the time. You'll just be in contract with them until it expires but you can change provider as a new install provided you don't share your uan number

Just a brief update...

Since Tuesday, I've been getting consistent 80+/16 speeds on a 90/20 link. Latency in the 14-20 ms range. Above all, jitter reduced from occasional 120+ ms to zero.

Hope I'm not tempting fate, but something has definitely changed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 emilrasyad

it's almost 11pm and looks consistent to me
    9782610652.png

9782614247.png

i decided to ring customer care about my speeds. I feel like 20 mins of my life has been robbed from me.

he asked me to go to fast.com and i was getting very good speeds on that speedtest. but when i went to another speed test i was gettin awful speeds.

I got know where anyway.

An eircom guy landed on my doorstep at half 9 this morning. He said my lines capacity was too high and reduced it to 60% and said that this should fix the problem.

I only rang customer care Friday evening and someones there to fix it first thing Monday morning and by the way when I rang customer care there was no waiting queue at all.

I feel bad now after all the giving out I was doing in my previous post here.

Is it fixed though, I'll know tonight at around 8pm!

My slow speeds still persist at peak times despite a call from eircom this morning... download 1.8 @19:51

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

An eircom guy landed on my doorstep at half 9 this morning. He said my lines capacity was too high and reduced it to 60% and said that this should fix the problem.

I only rang customer care Friday evening and someones there to fix it first thing Monday morning and by the way when I rang customer care there was no waiting queue at all.

I feel bad now after all the giving out I was doing in my previous post here.

Is it fixed though, I'll know tonight at around 8pm!

Exact same issue here! Eir technician called out and said line and speeds are fine but they’ll reduce the capacity to see if it will work. It hasn’t. It’s getting worse. Unbelievably bad service. I’m currently on 4G as I type this because we have no internet connection at all.

Is there any way, or has anyone been successful, in cancelling a contract early, without a penalty? We are literally paying for a service that does not work.

Advertisement