Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless mother forced to sleep in car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Do you know how she ended up in this position or do you just hate poor people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭This is it

Offered a house 50km away and refused it. Sort yourself out ffs. It's the kids I feel sorry for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Before that they had lived in local authority housing in Shannon, Co Clare. She is repaying rental arrears on that house to Clare County Council.

She's making damn sure no private landlord takes her on, no HAP, one furevva home please.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

She turned down accommodation 50km away even though she has a car.
    Expecting a council house even though she fecked off owing rent on a previous house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

This comes as a surprise:
    She is repaying rental arrears on that house to Clare County Council.

She has been offered accommodation:
    He said the council’s homelessness officer had “gone above and beyond” in assisting Ms Joyce source HAP accommodation, adding a property had been identified in Cashel, 53km from Nenagh, which Ms Joyce had been advised to take.

She has chosen not to avail of it:
    I’m open to living outside Nenagh, but Cashel is too far away. If I take that house I’d never get back to my family.”

I guess her issue is not having someone to look after the 5 children while she is out working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Under the Act a person “shall” be regarded as “homeless” if “there is no accommodation available which, in the opinion of the authority, he, together with any other person who normally resides with him . . . can reasonably occupy or remain in occupation of”.

She’s not homeless. She’s choosy. Not in a good place but she should take the house in Cashel temporarily as it’s only fair on the kids.

She’s trying another Margaret Cash stunt to jump a queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

She turned down a house and owes rent from her last local authority house. I find it hard to have sympathy for anyone but the kids that she's forcing to sleep in a car because she doesn't want to move to Cashel

Ms Joyce and her parents say, however, she can no longer stay at the three-bedroom house, where she has been since February, due to overcrowding.
    She and her children, aged between three and 16, had returned from London, where they had been after the break-up of her marriage in July 2018. Before that they had lived in local authority housing in Shannon, Co Clare. She is repaying rental arrears on that house to Clare County Council.

I can’t work out if she left London in July 2018 or if her marriage broke up then. And when the report says “before that” do they mean before she went to London or before she went to her parents in February?
    “They are happily settled now in schools in Nenagh, and my family is here. I need to be close to them. I’m open to living outside Nenagh, but Cashel is too far away. If I take that house I’d never get back to my family.”

When did the schools close for COVID, February?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

What a poorly researched article. She's still happily married.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,824 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would she take one of those 6 houses that were built in Cabragh Bridge outside Thurles at a cost of €1.7 million that are sitting idle because they didn't have stables attached to them.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/they-want-us-to-drop-our-culture-and-throw-it-aside-traveller-families-wont-move-into-17m-homes-without-stables-and-land-37394115.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Would she take one of those 6 houses that were built in Cabragh Bridge outside Thurles at a cost of €1.7 million that are sitting idle because they didn't have stables attached to them.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/they-want-us-to-drop-our-culture-and-throw-it-aside-traveller-families-wont-move-into-17m-homes-without-stables-and-land-37394115.html

Are they still unoccupied? 😞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I thought they had been stripped, wrecked and burnt out?

What a poorly researched article. She's still happily married.

She is? Quelle surprise!

Where did you find that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moved from AH > CA. Please note that the local charter now applies.

Hairy Japanese BASTARDS! - seeing as you loaded the question from the get-go, you get to sit this discussion out. Don't post in the thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"Joyce" you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

pulling a Margaret cash scam in the exact same way. Its a disgrace what we allow people away with in this country.

pulling a Margaret cash scam in the exact same way. Its a disgrace what we allow people away with in this country.

Well in fairness
    The GUBBERMENT did nothing ,

I dont blame them for trying it on, the system is set up to encourage scamming and life-long, intergenerational dependency.

I do blame supposedly quality media outlets like the Irish Times for giving them the time of day. Just goes to show you the type of people running these papers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Will someone do an article about a working class family whose life is ruined after a certain family get a house next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Oh look. Mother turns down house.
    Shock horror

• Advertisement

Limpy wrote: »
    Will someone do an article about a working class family whose life is ruined after a certain family get a house next door.
    Or a working family who had to choose a house that is too small far far away from where they work?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This has been done before.

This girl won't get half the attention Cash got. It's old news.

Why doesn't she go and live with her daughter and granddaughter in Wales?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,807 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

"Wagon wheeled"
    The true story about a mother who thinks society should give her everything she wants just because she's got kids.

Here's a thought love. How about before you and your partner decide to do the oul "beast with two backs" , you sit down and work out how exactly yer finances will put a roof over the child's head and a bed under its arse for the next 18 years or so.

She cried for house. She's offered house. She didn't accept house even though she's got a car that can drive her to and from house.

Councils done all they can. You can lead a nag to water but you can't make em drink it.

Hope the boots comfortable.
    See ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I dont blame them for trying it on, the system is set up to encourage scamming and life-long, intergenerational dependency.

I do blame supposedly quality media outlets like the Irish Times for giving them the time of day. Just goes to show you the type of people running these papers.

The 'journalist' in question is synonymous with this type of article, I'm starting to think she's just a troll given how many avenues this person had to avoid 'homelessness'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭This is it

Why doesn't she go and live with her daughter and granddaughter in Wales?

She won't move down the road to a 3 bed house, can't see her jumping on the boat to Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

How on earth can this happen?
    What type of society are we creating?

That poor woman kids and no home.
    I for one would not like to be in that position and if i was then id like to know help would be there.

mick087 wrote: »
    How on earth can this happen?
    What type of society are we creating?

That poor woman kids and no home.
    I for one would not like to be in that position and if i was then id like to know help would be there.

Help was there, she was given a home in Clare (her hometown) and ended up in arrears. She moved away and has now refused a home in Cashel.

How do you end up in arrears on a council house???

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

When they get the fiddle out for the photo you no it's the age old trick of getting moved up the housing list.

Genuine people who won't make a show of themselves on Facebook or a rag will get skipped everytime.

Next insert local councillor, (who definitely won't get them a house next to there own abode) will campaign next to them. Usually with them pointing at the car Which the family went onto 5 minutes ago for the photo.

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The 'journalist' in question is synonymous with this type of article, I'm starting to think she's just a troll given how many avenues this person had to avoid 'homelessness'.

I suppose it generates loads of clicks as the idiot wage slaves of the country read, aghast, that a lady of leisure hasnt got a free house precisely where she wants it.

Advertisement