Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless mother forced to sleep in car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

jlm29 wrote: »
    Here’s my explanation. I don’t think anyone could be as naive, and as generous with tax payers money.
    I live in tipperary, with 4 kids, and one other adult, so our households are similar sizes, if one of her kids is 16 and practically an adult. So Our households could have similar running costs. If we didn’t have childcare and a mortgage to pay, we could live on far less than €2300 a month. Tbh, I think we could pay our childcare and run the household on it. If she can’t manage to pay her two figure Sum rent out of €2300 a month , she needs help to budget first and foremost.

You struggled to live on social welfare when you were on it, because you weren’t used to it. Because (I’d imagine from what you say) your income dropped suddenly when you were out of work, and your outgoings had been arranged according to your income, and you had financial commitments that you had taken on when you were in work. That’s a whole different ballgame from someone who doesn’t work and hasn’t worked.

Thanks for at least getting back to me with an explanation.
    Ok this is your view if i did not agree with you and called you a wind up would you like that?

Not generous with tax payers money no. But if i god forbid lost my home then i would like to know that there is help.

We dont know what money she is getting we only guessing.

There does seem to be an issue with back rent again we dont know the details. He goal seems to be to get a house near her family which to me sounds reasonable. You have kids i have kids they might go on and do wonderful things, they might goon to need social housing we just dont know. So i for one would prefer a system where social housing was plentiful. This is possible and achievable if the will was there.

I struggled because the payment was low. So i took a low paid paid job within 3 weeks i had 80% of the staff in a union and was negotiating a pay
    rise but i left due to a better job coming up.

The woman in question i would say would take up a job if the wage was fair. The minimum wage is very low and i understand why anyone would not work for such a low wage. How anyone can justify a solictor being paid more than a cleaner is beyond me but this is the society we have created.

And no im not a wind up i believe in what i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

mick087 wrote: »
    Thanks for at least getting back to me with an explanation.
    Ok this is your view if i did not agree with you and called you a wind up would you like that?

Not generous with tax payers money no. But if i god forbid lost my home then i would like to know that there is help.

We dont know what money she is getting we only guessing.

There does seem to be an issue with back rent again we dont know the details. He goal seems to be to get a house near her family which to me sounds reasonable. You have kids i have kids they might go on and do wonderful things, they might goon to need social housing we just dont know. So i for one would prefer a system where social housing was plentiful. This is possible and achievable if the will was there.

I struggled because the payment was low. So i took a low paid paid job within 3 weeks i had 80% of the staff in a union and was negotiating a pay
    rise but i left due to a better job coming up.

The woman in question i would say would take up a job if the wage was fair. The minimum wage is very low and i understand why anyone would not work for such a low wage. How anyone can justify a solictor being paid more than a cleaner is beyond me but this is the society we have created.

The woman in the car is taking the p1ss.

She had a house. She didn't bother her hole to pay the rent.
    She fcuked off out of the country.
    She came back.
    She wants to be given a house immediately.
    Accommodation in Cashel was made available.
    She didn't want it as it wasn't in the location she wanted.
    She decided to get some publicity by staging a photoshoot in a car.

She can fcuk right off.

But unfortunately I'm not in charge of the country and she'll probably get what she wants. Which is not fair on ordinary decent working people struggling to make ends meet.

How anyone can justify a solictor being paid more than a cleaner is beyond me but this is the society we have created.

I'll happily take a card for this.

If you believe that, you are either a total wind-up or an absolute gobsh1te, especially given the above statement..

Either way, I have no time for wind-up merchants or absolute gobsh1tes so I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

The woman in question i would say would take up a job if the wage was fair.

I would; with respect totally disagree with you on this one.

How anyone can justify a solictor [sic] being paid more than a cleaner is beyond me but this is the society we have created.

I think you are about 100 years out with your thinking. A solicitor has a professional qualification that took years and extensive costs to acquire. They will spend years working on low wages to develop their expertise and experience with this skill set they provide a service to people who can not provide this service for themselves so are creating value and that is how the world works.

With out being too disrespectful to cleaners - they are effectively low skilled workers and as such there is many people capable of doing their work - market forces will dictate the value of their labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BattleCorp wrote: »

If you believe that, you are either a total wind-up or an absolute gobsh1te, especially given the above statement..

Either way, I have no time for wind-up merchants or absolute gobsh1tes so I'm out.

to a degree, they have a point, we have put many careers on a pedestal which are questionable, and potentially some of the most important workers in extremely vulnerable positions, particularly financially, health care staff being an obvious one

• Advertisement

You are away with the fairies!

You are away with the fairies!
    Maybe maybe not. But itswhat i believe.

I havent a notion what your post is trying to say. Like some of your other posts, they are nonsense.
    My guess is you just don't agree with me

Are you suggesting that people who can afford a bigger house, should not be allowed a bigger house? How is that an "issue"?.
    Im not suggesting im saying no one deserve to be able to afford a better house than anyone else some people are overpaid some people are underpaid.

I think you will find that the "issue" is actualy people who cant afford a house, demanding a free house where one doesnt exist while turning down a free house in an area which they deem unsuitable.
    People carnt afford a house because they are paid low wages.
    There is no reason why housing should not be available for all, its achievable if the will was there.

Beggars certainly can be choosers in Ireland.
    I would argue why on earth are there beggars in Ireland in 2020

Best if you are out if you carn't give a just reason why a solictor should be paid more than a cleaner. Equilty real equilty is frightening.

6th time called a wind now.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    to a degree, they have a point, we have put many careers on a pedestal which are questionable, and potentially some of the most important workers in extremely vulnerable positions, particularly financially, health care staff being an obvious one

I for the first time with someone on this thread agree with with someone.
    Total true and excellent post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think this is a disgraceful situation.
    Those poor kids have nowhere to live and are sleeping in a car.
    Have a heart people. There is only one thing to be done here.
    Take the children of that wagon who has put them in this situation
    and house them with caring parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm really sorry about any problems anyone has in life

if I could flick a switch, I'd take them all away

but on the other hand I'm sick and tired of hearing about other peoples problems

especially when I hear about them day in and day out

whether it's on the TV news

or a chat show

or a newspaper article

or here

where I can't help but get the feeling

that I'm not just meant to feel guiltily about it

but that I'm actually expected to do something about it

Sorry, but I don't really care that much that I'm going to do something about it.

I've got my own life problems thanks.

And I'm not going whinging to the media about them

unless my life in is danger, as a last resort, that sorta seriousness

so please

have some dignity

and keep your life problems to yourself.

• Advertisement

I for the first time with someone on this thread agree with with someone.
    Total true and excellent post

and to add to your point, i actually know a hospital cleaner, probably on low/minimum pay, whos been cleaning covid wards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Im not suggesting im saying no one deserve to be able to afford a better house than anyone else some people are overpaid some people are underpaid.

Ah here Mick, you are definitely on a wind up. So everyone has to have the same size house no matter how hard they work or even if they don't work at all???

This thread so far is a repeat of many which have gone before it with the usual calls for her children to be removed from her, back of a napkin calculations about her entitlements, people imagining they have authority over other people that they don’t, and the rest.

No back of the napkin calculations are needed, the rates of payments are freely available on Citizens's Information and the Department's website. These are facts, not guesswork.

One Parent Family Payment (Weekly)
    Personal Allowance €203
    Child Dependant Allowance for 3 children age 0-12 @ €36 x 3 = €108
    Child Dependant Allowance for 2 child age 12-22 -@ €40 x 2 = €80

Thats €391 per week, or €20,322 per year.

Add in Child Benefit for 5 children @140 per month each = another €8,400 per year, so in total, €28,722 per annum, €2,393.50 per month, or €552.35 per week. Take your pick.

Then there are once off payments, *Back To School, *Christmas Bonus, probably combined worth of another €1000 per year. There will also be *fuel allowance if she gets her own place. (*Not included in rent assessment).

The above figures are cash payments before any HAP payment.

This is a very comfortable amount of money to live on. If she were to receive a council house, then Rent under Tipperary Co Co's differential rent scheme (2018) on an income of €391 per week with 5 children would amount to €49 per week.

(€20 for the first €200 of income + 0.20c per euro after that. €2.30 is deducted per child under the age of 16).

To try and claim this is unaffordable from an income of approx €550 per week is ridiculous.

The State and the taxpayer are doing a lot to support this woman, and I don't actually begrudge her any of the above.

But the air of entitlement that comes with "sleep out protests" and demanding a house where she wants, when she wants it, just cannot be tolerated, and should not be given in to.

Ah here Mick, you are definitely on a wind up. So everyone has to have the same size house no matter how hard they work or even if they don't work at all???

most workers should be able to have the option to buy their own home, but we ve riley fcuked that one up, and now we dont know how to fix it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Best if you are out if you carn't give a just reason why a solictor should be paid more than a cleaner. Equilty real equilty is frightening.

Why a solictor gets more money?

Well they go to school, they learn, they go to college, they learn, then they go and get apprentership, they learn and then end up witha good job normally in thousands or euro of debt, pay that off and then happy days.....

That route is open to everyone, same as getting any good job is open to everyone.

Sitting on your hole and not going to school, not getting a good leaving, not going to college, sitting around complaining because everyone else is doing better than you, of course that is also an option.

Turning and asking why someone who done option 1 v option 2 gets paid more is the height od stupidity to me.....what are you asking everyone to reward someone for not bothering their ass working or getting educated?

The woman in the car is taking the p1ss

Maybe she is taking the p but give the benefit of doubt dont try to get rid of innocent to proven guilty.

We dont know all the facts on this but yes does seem an issue with unpaid rent.

She went to the UK that is part of the common travel area so moving to the UK and back is permitted with no penalties.

She came back.
    Common travel area permits this

She has children there is no reason we dont have more social housing we could if we wanted.

Maybe it didnt suit kids school or near family and friends we would need more information before casting judgement

She didn't want it as it wasn't in the location she wanted
    Yes this seems to the case she took action to highlight her issues.

She can fcuk right off.
    No Comment

But unfortunately I'm not in charge of the country and she'll probably get what she wants. Which is not fair on ordinary decent working people struggling to make ends meet.
    I agree things are not fair and ordinary decent working people deserve so much more. So join together and make a country more equal and fair.

most workers should be able to have the option to buy their own home, but we ve riley fcuked that one up, and now we dont know how to fix it

Most people can affrod to buy a new home.

What they can't afford to buy is a home in the exact street, in the exact location they want because everyone else wants to buy a house in the exact street in the perfect location.

Its called supply and demand. If everyone wants to live on the same street in a certain area of Dublin then prices rise so the more money you have the more chance you have of buying the house. That is not to say you move 5-10 miles down the road to a "less desirable" location you can't buy a prefectly good house

Similar to this waster who wants a free house in the exact location or if not is crying on the papers about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Maybe she is taking the p but give the benefit of doubt dont try to get rid of innocent to proven guilty.

We dont know all the facts on this but yes does seem an issue with unpaid rent.

She went to the UK that is part of the common travel area so moving to the UK and back is permitted with no penalties.

She came back.
    Common travel area permits this

She has children there is no reason we dont have more social housing we could if we wanted.

Maybe it didnt suit kids school or near family and friends we would need more information before casting judgement

She didn't want it as it wasn't in the location she wanted
    Yes this seems to the case she took action to highlight her issues.

She can fcuk right off.
    No Comment

I agree things are not fair and ordinary decent working people deserve so much more. So join together and make a country more equal and fair.

lets be very honest here, its not like a school place for those kids matters a fiddlers to her.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Most people can affrod to buy a new home.

What they can't afford to buy is a home in the exact street, in the exact location they want because everyone else wants to buy a house in the exact street in the perfect location.

Its called supply and demand. If everyone wants to live on the same street in a certain area of Dublin then prices rise so the more money you have the more chance you have of buying the house. That is not to say you move 5-10 miles down the road to a "less desirable" location you can't buy a prefectly good house

Similar to this waster who wants a free house in the exact location or if not is crying on the papers about it.

we re clearly living on different planets! i know many couples that cant get a house, going out alone to buy a home, na, not on this planet! very few id imagine

thats all that neoclassical free market bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was a cleaner before.
    I went in at 9am and finished at 4pm mostly and that was that.
    I did a few days training.
    My friend who became a solicitor
    Studied very hard for his leaving cert , spent years studying at college and was eventually took on somewhere. His job isn’t 9 to 4, it requires a lot of detailed knowledge and understanding and it’s hard work.
    If I lived in a society why I was paid they same as him for my bit of cleaning work i don’t know why anybody would bother to go to college,etc and I’d sort of be embarrassed to receive the same wages as him.

• Advertisement

Why a solictor gets more money?

Well they go to school, they learn, they go to college, they learn, then they go and get apprentership, they learn and then end up witha good job normally in thousands or euro of debt, pay that off and then happy days.....

That route is open to everyone, same as getting any good job is open to everyone.

Sitting on your hole and not going to school, not getting a good leaving, not going to college, sitting around complaining because everyone else is doing better than you, of course that is also an option.

Turning and asking why someone who done option 1 v option 2 gets paid more is the height od stupidity to me.....what are you asking everyone to reward someone for not bothering their ass working or getting educated?
    I was a cleaner before.
    I went in at 9am and finished at 4pm mostly and that was that.
    I did a few days training.
    My friend who became a solicitor
    Studied very hard for his leaving cert , spent years studying at college and was eventually took on somewhere. His job isn’t 9 to 4, it requires a lot of detailed knowledge and understanding and it’s hard work.
    If I lived in a society why I was paid they same as him for my bit of cleaning work i don’t know why anybody would bother to go to college,etc and I’d sort of be embarrassed to receive the same wages as him.

You are feeding the troll.

we re clearly living on different planets! i know many couples that cant get a house, going out alone to buy a home, na, not on this planet! very few id imagine

thats all that neoclassical free market bollocks

No its not, I look in my area and house prices range from under 200k to 600k. That is over the entire price range inbetween. Rooms etc. Living on the Dublin border, train station in the area, Dublin bus running etc.

Are you saying people are looking to buy a house in Dublin area for under 200k?

If thats the case they really are not living on this planet

No its not, I look in my area and house prices range from under 200k to 600k. That is over the entire price range inbetween. Rooms etc. Living on the Dublin border, train station in the area, Dublin bus running etc.

+1 , lets be honest almost anyone working a reasonable job can afford a house in Ireland, just perhaps not in the part of Ireland they want to live in.

neoclassical economics is constantly trying to simply our world by making incredibly disturbing assumptions of our world, in particular human behavior, its why its models and systems constantly fail to represent reality, i.e. its a fantasy

+1 , lets be honest almost anyone working a reasonable job can afford a house in Ireland, just perhaps not in the part of Ireland they want to live in.

Serious question. What's a reasonable job? Ballpark salary?

neoclassical economics is constantly trying to simply our world by making incredibly disturbing assumptions of our world, in particular human behavior, its why its models and systems constantly fail to represent reality, i.e. its a fantasy

If you say so, its aint a housing crisis anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

We dont know all the facts on this but yes does seem an issue with unpaid rent

When back to school allowance, add on to weekly money for the children, childrens allowance are all taken into account she is on about 30k a year in benefits. Without medical bills, how much money does somebody working have to earn to have 30K a year, with 30 or 40 quid a week in rent and no medical bills, no childcare costs etc.... She cant even pay her rent ? Thats absolutely disgraceful

No more information is needed here she chose to sleep in her car instead of taking an offer of housing an hour away. TULSA should become involved here. This woman is making her children sleep in a car instead of a house she was offered.... That is child abuse.

Serious question. What's a reasonable job? Ballpark salary?

30k , two people on 30k in a household can afford a house.

If you say so, its aint a housing crisis anyway

housing and accommodation issues are only a part of this, neoclassical economics is in fact destablizing our species most essential needs, i.e politically, economically, socially, environmentally etc etc. to see what happens when countries take neoclassical to its extremes, just look to our nearest neighbors, i.e. the us and the uk, both of these countries are destablizing to now dangerous levels

• Advertisement

30k , two people on 30k in a household can afford a house.

so a person on 30k can buy a house?

Advertisement