Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless mother forced to sleep in car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Private school is not necessarily "better" either. I went to a convent school in a reasonable area with girls from council houses as well as privately owned ones. We had every opportunity to get on and did. My own kids went to a community school. We live in a decent area and the school reflects that mindset. There is absolutely no excuse not to send your kids to school and get an education. The teachers have all qualified from the same teacher training colleges.
    That's the problem with that woman, wants everything, uses her kids to guilt trip anyone else who'll listen, into giving her what she wants, and at the end of the day the kids will turn out like her. And it'll be all the fault of society who " has failed them".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Wow, the level of compassion in this thread. Although, you’d hardly expect anything less.

Even if this was a contrived “stunt”, it seems like it was the last resort for this mother. Not sure how many of you would be ok with moving over 50km from where all your family, and “support”, is.

Having to live in a car with 5 kids is an absolute disgrace and I can’t imagine how difficult it has been. Hopefully the council will “cop on” and find somewhere suitable for this woman and her family soon.

Until then, they should all be “put up” in a hotel.

Einsteinian level of logic.

Put them up in an hotel - at someone else's expense - until a home of a size, condition and location that the mother considers acceptable becomes available.

That's a guaranteed way to dissuade anyone else from trying the same stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

I know a few people who went to a private school and it was mainly for social status than anything else and they wanted there kids at boarding school due to work commitments. The bright ones got on well and others went onto become hairdressers, farming, etc
    Whilst in the past guys went straight out of school and did apprenticeships. They nearly all have to do a few years in an IT and get a level 7 or 8 done before getting much work now unless they get taken on with somebody.
    Locally loads of people have done degrees out of council estates if they wanted and it was for them.
    It would really depend on what you’d classify as rich to be honest. But I know solicitors kid who opened a coffee shops, principal kids who became an hairdresser, electrian, whilst there siblings might have went to university.
    I don’t really buy the education is only for the rich for a second. Some people are just lazy in my option and they don’t want it.

The flag ship university in Ireland has only 1 in 10 students is from a working class background. You may not want to buy into it you may not believe it to be true But 1 in ten speaks for itself.

No people are not lazy when it comes to education not everyone get the tools of understanding how education works.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

mick087 wrote: »
    No people are not lazy when it comes to education not everyone get the tools of understanding how education works.

Give over, will ya.

There are plenty who don't bother with education because they will get a handier life on the dole because the dole rewards those who don't help themselves.

Now I'm not giving out about people on the dole in general, I've been on it myself. The problem I have is with people who view the dole as a career choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Give over, will ya.

There are plenty who don't bother with education because they will get a handier life on the dole because the dole rewards those who don't help themselves.

Now I'm not giving out about people on the dole in general, I've been on it myself. The problem I have is with people who view the dole as a career choice.

the educational system in fact fails to meet these peoples needs, learning disabilities would be common amongst the long term unemployed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

Wow, the level of compassion in this thread. Although, you’d hardly expect anything less.

Even if this was a contrived “stunt”, it seems like it was the last resort for this mother. Not sure how many of you would be ok with moving over 50km from where all your family, and “support”, is.

Having to live in a car with 5 kids is an absolute disgrace and I can’t imagine how difficult it has been. Hopefully the council will “cop on” and find somewhere suitable for this woman and her family soon.

Until then, they should all be “put up” in a hotel.

The Shelbourne offered to put her up in the Princess Grace Suite until the end of the year but she turned it down because it was too far from mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

They would do anything to give there kids a better life.

Anything except move to Cashel?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

jlm29 wrote: »

Cashelians must take great offense to the snub tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Read the article before commenting. She had a house in Shannon. Didn’t pay the rent. Went off to England. Fell out with husband. Came back just before lockdown and moved in with parents. Was given a house in Cashel. Turned it down because it was too far from mammy. Throws a hissy fit ala Maggie McCarthy.
    she's near as bad as the farmers want everything for nothing

she's near as bad as the farmers want everything for nothing

farmers work their holes off, many probably work at least 12 hour days at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

To be honest in any of these cases,the mother is first thinking of herself with a nice home.Her kids come second or even third in the grand scheme of things.They use the kids as a sympathy leverage to bypass all the hard work and savings most folks have to endure.

Not sure how many of you would be ok with moving over 50km from where all your family, and “support”, is.

I would move to the moon, if it meant having a roof over my kids heads rather than choosing to have them sleep in a car.

I understand that this woman might not have had the educational opportunities that I had afforded to her, because of her background. I get that it might have been very very difficult (not impossible, but difficult) for her to get a good enough education to allow her to get a job that would get her a mortgage and the ability to support 5 kids. But she shouldn’t have had 5 kids if she didn’t have a stable home for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    farmers work their holes off, many probably work at least 12 hour days at the moment

Lets keep on topic folks.... That's a whole other thread...

Oops! wrote: »
    Lets keep on topic folks.... That's a whole other thread...

yes boss

Overheal wrote: »
    Cashelians must take great offense to the snub tbf

Would you believe, I’m just this minute home from An outing to Cashel. Great playground there. Her 5 kids would love it.

Would you believe, I’m just this minute home from An outing to Cashel. Great playground there. Her 5 kids would love it.

True, probably the nicest town in Tipp!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The flag ship university in Ireland has only 1 in 10 students is from a working class background. You may not want to buy into it you may not believe it to be true But 1 in ten speaks for itself.

They are lots of ITs and colleges in Ireland with people of various classes attending them.
    You don’t need to go to Trinity to get an education.
    You don’t even need to go to an University.
    Lots get on in life by just working from when they finish school or doing a few PLC courses.

Education isn’t for everybody but you’ve to do some of it and get over yourself.

However when you have a society/culture where dropping out of school before the junior cert is accepted/encouraged/allowed. You are going to run into issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    the want funding from everywhere, known as farmers dole. They have the reps spouting on radio every day

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

This is exactly the case. Folks, we're taking 50km here, not 500, or a 1000km.
    A huge number of people have commutes which would far exceed that.

If her family is really that supportive, they'd take the children in with them and the mother (or some sort of split arrangement).

This is a joke. Why does the gutter press resort to this and instead not focus more on genuine cases where covid ir otherwise has placed people and businesses on the brink.
    The bleeding hearts out there unintentionally (in most cases) drop genuine cases down the pecking order by focusing their support on leeches

the wand funding from everywhere, known as farmers dole

probably because they have huge debts, and be aware, the market is actually psychopathic, it doesnt care if competition causes workers and business owners to go bust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭This is it

Not sure how many of you would be ok with moving over 50km from where all your family, and “support”, is.

If the "alternative" was to "force" my 5 "kids" to "sleep" in a "car", I'd "be" jumping at the idea of a 3 bedroom house "approximately" 45 minutes "drive" away. As would any decent "parent" I'd have "thought".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

To hell or to cashel

Is Joyce her married name? Is her maiden name Harty?

I'm not sure what your point is? Is

it the fact you did not get this help she seeks? Or the fact you don't believe anyone should get help? Or you just don't believe her?

Single parent did and still do have it tough and do a bloody amazing job. They would do anything to give there kids a better life.

Unfortunately not all single parents will achieve as much as you. So for them that's not make things any tougher.

My point is that many of us single mothers just get on with providing for our children. Pay our own way. Not sit back and whine for someone else to provide for us.

I believe that she wants her own way. Now. And not have to wait or pay much for it.

This is it wrote: »
    If the "alternative" was to "force" my 5 "kids" to "sleep" in a "car", I'd "be" jumping at the idea of a 3 bedroom house "approximately" 45 minutes "drive" away. As would any decent "parent" I'd have "thought".
    Any capable parent would be the same as you, which is why I would support the children being placed into care in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I'm not being funny but what does she want , anyone who returns home from abroad or whom is ejected from their parents to have immediate accommodation?

Like what is she expecting, a house to magically appear in the locality. If its not there is not there.

Does she think she should queue jump over low income workers who are paying rent (unlike herself) while waiting for a social house?

Alot of this story doesn't add up...

no.8 wrote: »
    This is exactly the case. Folks, we're taking 50km here, not 500, or a 1000km.
    A huge number of people have com
    mutes which would far exceed that.

If her family is really that supportive, they'd take the children in with them and the mother (or some sort of split arrangement).

This is a joke. Why does the gutter press resort to this and instead not focus more on genuine cases where covid ir otherwise has placed people and businesses on the brink.
    The bleeding hearts out there unintentionally (in most cases) drop genuine cases down the pecking order by focusing their support on leeches

We are a modern ("blended" you may say) family, and my partner's 2 kids live ~50km from us, spending part time in each location.
    It works with no issue.

I'm not being funny but what does she want , anyone who returns home from abroad or whom is ejected from their parents to have immediate accommodation?

Like what is she expecting, a house to magically appear in the locality. If its not there is not there.

Does she think she should queue jump over low income workers who are paying rent (unlike herself) while waiting for a social house?

Alot of this story doesn't add up...

You wouldn't need Columbo on the scene to figure out her back round, what's going on and what she's up to....

Only if it was in her back yard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ELM327 wrote: »
    To hell or to cashel

Tipp is a hell worse than Connaught ;)

Advertisement