Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archers Wood “Delgany”

Options
  • 09-07-2020 10:23am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Opposite Glen Heron I see a lot of ground works by Cairn. A bit of Googling tells me that this is for “Archers Wood” which has been given the address of “Delgany” :D

It would seem that this is the development of a 52 acre green field site. This will be made up of 245 three, four and five bedroom houses As well as 88 duplexes and 93 apartments. So high density but lower density than Charlesland.

Does anyone know anything else about this development?

The entrance to this seems a little dodgy even though it looks like they plan to widen the road at that junction.
    Post edited by 2011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

2011 wrote: »
    Opposite Glen Heron I see a lot of ground works by Cairn. A bit of Googling tells me that this is for “Archers Wood” which has been given the address of “Delgany” :D

It would seem that this is the development of a 52 acre green field site. This will be made up of 245 three, four and five bedroom houses As well as 88 duplexes and 93 apartments. So high density but lower density than Charlesland.

The entrance to this seems a little dodgy even though it looks like they plan to widen the road at that junction.

full planning files are on the Wicklow CC website, there's been quite a bit of discussion of it on the FB Greystones Open Forum. As well as the housing there are some sports facilities, I think it will be accessible from Priory Road as well as the Kilcoole Rd. AFAIK everything west of Kilcoole Road and north of Kilquade is "Delgany".

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

loyatemu wrote: »
    full planning files are on the Wicklow CC website, there's been quite a bit of discussion of it on the FB Greystones Open Forum.

Interesting. I don’t really do Facebook less rarely check the open forum. Thanks.

I’m surprised I have seen more about it around the place. It is going to be a sizable development.
    I expect many will upgrade to these well built homes from many of the less well built Celtic Tiger homes in the area (such as my own).
    As well as the housing there are some sports facilities, I think it will be accessible from Priory Road as well as the Kilcoole Rd. AFAIK everything west of Kilcoole Road and north of Kilquade is "Delgany".

Yeah, it just seems odd for a local like me as it is so far from Delgany village and practically in Killincarrig.

Interesting. I don’t really do Facebook less rarely check the open forum. Thanks.

I’m surprised I have seen more about it around the place. It is going to be a sizable development.
    I expect many will upgrade to these well built homes from many of the less well built Celtic Tiger homes in the area (such as my own).

Yeah, it just seems odd for a local like me as it is so far from Delgany village and practically in Killincarrig.

Eden Gate and Eden Wood are "Delgany" - this new estate will be closer to the village than either of them.

Another 99 houses on the way on the other side of Delgany:
    https://www.greystonesguide.ie/application-for-99-houses-on-chapel-road/

• Administrators Posts: 53,823 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I also saw a sign up for 8 luxury houses in "The Orchard" on chapel road. Says the entrance will be by Donnybrook Fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

The road infrastructure simply cannot handle this frenzied building.
    The road between Bray & Greystones is beyond capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭prunudo

The town of Delstones is coming closer to reality, no thought has been given to the roads around the town and its also time a plan was put in place to build bus and cycle lane to Bray from both a safety and volume point of view. Something needs to be done but I fear there will be huge opposition to a new or widened road up Windgates.
    Ultimately a new rail tunnel to allow double track would be helpful but thats not on the cards at all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

We’ve never had a plan before, why start now??
    Sure what could possibly go wrong??

prunudo wrote: »
    Ultimately a new rail tunnel to allow double track would be helpful but thats not on the cards at all.

the line is due to be doubled between the station and the first tunnel as part of the Dart upgrade program. This will allow a 20 minute frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭prunudo

the line is due to be doubled between the station and the first tunnel as part of the Dart upgrade program. This will allow a 20 minute frequency.

Better than nothing but I don't believe it's sufficient in the long term for all the new housing in the greater north Wicklow area.

Are you sure?

• Advertisement

I don't see anything in the link stating that they plan proceed with this.

I don't see anything in the link stating that they plan proceed with this.

they had a tender out for consultants earlier this year which is here

the document attached to that tender has more details on the scope:
    Irish Rail wrote:
    The project involves trackworks, electrification and resignalling primarily on the Coastal line from Drogheda in the north to Connolly station and from Connolly station to Greystones. The proposed key elements may include:
    • Electrification, re-signalling, track and associated civil works to support the projected capacity increase of the Northern Line from Malahide to Drogheda;
    • Re-configuring Clongriffin & Howth Junction Station;
    • Re-modelling of Drogheda and Fairview Depot and the provision of Battery Electric Multiple Unit (BEMU) charging facilities;
    • Turnback Facilities on the Northern & Southern Lines;
    • Siding & Stabling facilities;
    • Investigate the comparison of a BEMU strategy versus electrification of Northern Line;
    • Design an appropriate level of relief infrastructure (structures, civils, signalling, electrification, telecoms, track) in lieu of the increased frequency of level crossing closure on the Southern Line between Greystones & Connolly; and
    • Greystones Capacity Improvement including potential 3rd platform.

There's an engineering report commissioned by the NTA on Derek Mitchell's website here

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Is this beyond Eden gate as you travel to N11? If so, will the houses have access to Priory Road?
    I vaguely remember hearing that Eden Gate was supposed to/ will get access to Three Trouts Bridge Road (possibly not it's proper name, it's been a while since we lived in the area)- any sign of that happening?
    Also the land to the west (?) of Three Trouts, behind the roadside houses oppposite Mill Grove, was earmarked for development too wasn't it?

I think the one he's talking about is the area on Kilcoole Road, directly opposite Glenheron Walk.

awec wrote: »
    I think the one he's talking about is the area on Kilcoole Road, directly opposite Glenheron Walk.

Correct

they had a tender out for consultants earlier this year which is here

the document attached to that tender has more details on the scope:

There's an engineering report commissioned by the NTA on Derek Mitchell's website here

Widening the tunnel through Bray Head is something I would like to see but my understanding is that it has always been consistent far too costly. I don’t see anything is the links posted that suggests that there is a plan in place to make this happen. I see that the intent is there to make all sorts of other improvements, but that is about it.

Maybe I missed something in the links posted??

Widening the tunnel through Bray Head is something I would like to see but my understanding is that it has always been consistent far too costly. I don’t see anything is the links posted that suggests that there is a plan in place to make this happen. I see that the intent is there to make all sorts of other improvements, but that is about it.

I believe he's saying that the track will be doubled between Bray and the tunnel, not Bray and Greystones and this will allow for a slightly greater frequency. The tunnel isn't getting widened.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Its part of the DART expansion proposed plan for now.

No actual plan in place that I can see to start work on this.

I believe he's saying that the track will be doubled between Bray and the tunnel, not Bray and Greystones and this will allow for a slightly greater frequency. The tunnel isn't getting widened.

I just read the post again. You are correct, my bad. Apologies for the confusion.

• Advertisement

I just read the post again. You are correct, my bad. Apologies for the confusion.

I agree they should be looking at the costs of doubling the whole line between Bray and Greystones (probably via a new tunnel rather than widening the existing ones). It would be expensive, but not astronomically so and would be an investment for the next 200 years!

Was there not talk at one point of going around Bray head instead of through it? Or am I totally making that up?

Was there not talk at one point of going around Bray head instead of through it? Or am I totally making that up?

yeah, in the 1850s when they were building the line. The then Lord Meath didn't want a railway going through his estate so he gave the railway company the route on the seaward side of Bray Head (along with a huge never-ending engineering and maintenance headache) for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

I would imagine that the provision of a new tunnel or the widening of the existing tunnel/line is not anywhere near the top of the pile for infrastructure projects based on the cost/benefit analysis

There must be a lot more projects to the north and west of Dublin which would have a better cost/benefit than the Bray/Greystones line where the terrain is more suitable for infrastructure investment

I took these photos yesterday, this is going to be an enormous development:

50262100472_e74da4f2d9.jpg

50261251423_018230932d.jpg

50261909106_979a2fde65.jpg

50261251448_321d30ebbb.jpg

Just as well that this new development has such a good road infrastructure in place :rolleyes::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Didn’t realise it was going to be that large, wow.
    The amount of building work around the village seems never ending now, with that and soon behind it the houses on Bellvíew hill and I’m guessing something soon around the convent.
    In the meantime there is no improvement in the infrastructure. Hell the amount of cars from this development - I just cant see the current roads coping with it, can you imagine the school run as there is nothing within walking distance yet (I know there will be one hopefully in Charlesland soon) but everything else will necessitate more cars on the road at key times of the day.

My photos don’t really do it justice. This is enormous. Have a look at the available area on Google maps and compare it to Charlesland and this will give you some idea. This will add significant traffic. Now that Delgany and Greystones have merged completely I see this as another step towards merging with Kilcoole and Killincarrig.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

Is this the site opposite Glenheron Walk?

lfen wrote: »
    Is this the site opposite Glenheron Walk?

Yea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Any update on this from someone living locally? We are thinking of moving back to Greystones after a 3 year break. Is this op phase 1 Glenheron on Three Trouts Road?
    So nearest school would be the new one in Charlesland?
    Will there be a more direct route to Delgany Village or would we have to go back along 3 Trouts to Killincarrig roundabout? Will there be entrance on 3 trouts or would we have to go all around the world like Eden Gate?
    Thanks

Advertisement