Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archers Wood “Delgany”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

50709681458_c1889096df.jpg810_2126 by John Mc Gowan, on Flickr

50710501682_8afc923449.jpg810_2124 by John Mc Gowan, on Flickr

50710420061_1a522bf71f.jpg810_2116 by John Mc Gowan, on Flickr

50709686068_91cfe6b0be.jpg810_2115 by John Mc Gowan, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Any update on this from someone living locally? We are thinking of moving back to Greystones after a 3 year break. Is this op phase 1 Glenheron on Three Trouts Road?
    So nearest school would be the new one in Charlesland?
    Will there be a more direct route to Delgany Village or would we have to go back along 3 Trouts to Killincarrig roundabout? Will there be entrance on 3 trouts or would we have to go all around the world like Eden Gate?
    Thanks

site plans are here - it will have entrances on Priory Rd and Kilcoole Rd.

Yeah nearest school will be Greystones Community NS, the big building beside Charlesland. Delgany NS is fairly close as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I see Houses on property price register, going for c. 20% less than market price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 D10NY5U5

I see Houses on property price register, going for c. 20% less than market price.

New builds don’t include VAT on property price register. Are you factoring that in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Maybe thats the reason. A bit misleading, as the price should reflect the price people pay. VAT is irrelevant to most people.
    I suspected it was county council buying units at a discount, maybe they are.
    I see the same price difference on the register for the new Enniskerry estate, Sika Wood.

• Administrators Posts: 53,823 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Maybe thats the reason. A bit misleading, as the price should reflect the price people pay. VAT is irrelevant to most people.
    I suspected it was county council buying units at a discount, maybe they are.
    I see the same price difference on the register for the new Enniskerry estate, Sika Wood.

You don't pay VAT when you buy a second hand home, so they have to take off the VAT from the price of the new homes to that the register contains consistent data.

Homes sold to councils at non-market rates are usually marked with an asterix on the PPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dazziola

Are these houses timber framed? They seem to be springing up at some speed. Didn't think timber-framed houses were common in Ireland. It may also suggest why they're slightly cheaper on the PPR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭prunudo

dazziola wrote: »
    Are these houses timber framed? They seem to be springing up at some speed. Didn't think timber-framed houses were common in Ireland. It may also suggest why they're slightly cheaper on the PPR.

Yes, noticed them standing the frames before Christmas. Strange though as most other developers in the area have gone back to block work for the structure. As you say though it definitely makes for a speedier build.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dannyc31

i don't believe pricing has been confirmed yet at this development as far as i'm aware. where are you seeing quoted prices?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would expect similar to Glenheron pricing.

2011 wrote: »
    I would expect similar to Glenheron pricing.

are the homes at glenheron timber frame? i was sure they were concrete.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

dannyc31 wrote: »
    are the homes at glenheron timber frame? i was sure hey were concrete.

I think you are correct.
    Either way I wouldn’t expect it to have any impact on the price. They will end up as similar houses (appearance, size and energy rating) in almost the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

Yes they are, as are the DRES Eastmount homes. its certainly a faster method of construction, personally I much prefer block built but a well designed and constructed timber frame house is fine in Ireland.

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Yes they are, as are the DRES Eastmount homes. its certainly a faster method of construction, personally I much prefer block built but a well designed and constructed timber frame house is fine in Ireland.

this is interesting. i would of thought of all the countries in western Europe were timber frame would not be good would be Ireland due to our damp wet climate. this is one of the reasons that makes a little nervous about timber frame homes. also a plumber who is friend of the family mentioned he has a shocking amount of call outs to timber frame homes with leak isssues etc. now it might be due to the type of older timber frame homes that were built during the celtic boom but over all i feel more inclined to lean towards concrete until i understand better the differences between the two build types.

this is interesting. i would of thought of all the countries in western Europe were timber frame would not be good would be Ireland due to our damp wet climate. this is one of the reasons that makes a little nervous about timber frame homes. also a plumber who is friend of the family mentioned he has a shocking amount of call outs to timber frame homes with leak isssues etc. now it might be due to the type of older timber frame homes that were built during the celtic boom but over all i feel more inclined to lean towards concrete.

yes some of the older timber frame house in Celtic Tiger days were really poorly constructed. The devil is very much in the detail with timber frame construction.

this is interesting. i would of thought of all the countries in western Europe were timber frame would not be good would be Ireland due to our damp wet climate. this is one of the reasons that makes a little nervous about timber frame homes. also a plumber who is friend of the family mentioned he has a shocking amount of call outs to timber frame homes with leak isssues etc. now it might be due to the type of older timber frame homes that were built during the celtic boom but over all i feel more inclined to lean towards concrete until i understand better the differences between the two build types.

The timber frame is not exposed to the elements. There is a waterproof membrane and external cladding (brickwork or rendered block usually) between the frame and the weather.

awec wrote: »
    The timber frame is not exposed to the elements. There is a waterproof membrane and external cladding (brickwork or rendered block usually) between the frame and the weather.

Unfortunately poor installation often leads to the timber frame becoming exposed to the elements!

• Advertisement

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately poor installation often leads to the timber frame becoming exposed to the elements!

Exactly.
    Once built properly I would have no concerns, but I would be concerned about many of the Celtic Tiger homes.

Looking at the old Georgian houses around Dublin, many of them had to be reroofed as the wood had rotted. However the brick and concrete walls in most cases remain in relatively good condition.

2011 wrote: »
    Exactly.
    Once built properly I would have no concerns, but I would be concerned about many of the Celtic Tiger homes.

Looking at the old Georgian houses around Dublin, many of them had to be reroofed as the wood had rotted. However the brick and concrete walls in most cases remain in relatively good condition.

I'm sure the original owners of these were raging! :D

awec wrote: »
    I'm sure the original owners of these were raging! :D

No doubt :D

Back in the day I wired a number of these that were being restored.
    Very well built. Some had issues with foundations but the wood for joists (floor and roof), partition walls and floorboards were often beyond repair. Some of the hardwood sash windows lated well though.

does anyone living close by know which part of the site they have the houses up already? is it the houses right at the back of the site south of the proposed playing fields and closest to Glenbrook house or is it the section of the estate in the middle which will include apartments and duplex houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dazziola

does anyone living close by know which part of the site they have the houses up already? is it the houses right at the back of the site south of the proposed playing fields and closest to Glenbrook house or is it the section of the estate in the middle which will include apartments and duplex houses?

Not sure where the playing field a are to be, but the area I've marked in the attachment in red are almost done by the looks of it.

The area marked in orange looks like it's kicking off. Hope that helps!

Not sure where the playing field a are to be, but the area I've marked in the attachment in red are almost done by the looks of it.

The area marked in orange looks like it's kicking off. Hope that helps!

thats great thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Blue_Chip

Do we have any update on this ?
    I know that the construction is off limit these days but it seems we are in limbo for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Blue_Chip wrote: »
    Do we have any update on this ?
    I know that the construction is off limit these days but it seems we are in limbo for a long time.

I live beside the site, havent seen any builders on it in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Blue_Chip

Cluster wrote: »
    I live beside the site, havent seen any builders on it in ages.

Thanks a lot for the info.

• Advertisement

i'd be curious to know how much interest there will be in these homes when they launch. does anyone remember when the Glenheron developments launched some years back? just wondering did all the homes get snapped up very quickly particularly the 3 beds.

Advertisement