Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Froome transfer from Team Ineos to Israel Start-Up Nation is confirmed

Options

Comments

It'll be interesting to see what he's looking like at the tour and the build up to it. One things for sure he's not going to be going in a leaders role now no matter what is said. Wonder what kind of money they offered ?

I'd imagine someone like Ben Hermans would be a bit miffed too and would have been looking to lead in that team going into this season after a pretty solid one with Israel last year.

Wonder if this is the start of the signings for them? There are a few big names out of contract this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Doubt he'll go to the tour. I've never liked him*, but fair play on a multi year contract at this stage of his career, still unproven from after the crash!

*from his development from being let go by sky to GC challenger, the behaviour when "supporting wiggins" (sh!t or get off the pot - cowardly behaviour imo), I've never warmed to him at all or brought into the "nice guy" thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Doubt he'll go to the tour. I've never liked him*, but fair play on a multi year contract at this stage of his career, still unproven from after the crash!

*from his development from being let go by sky to GC challenger, the behaviour when "supporting wiggins" (sh!t or get off the pot - cowardly behaviour imo), I've never warmed to him at all or brought into the "nice guy" thing.

But his good to get the British cycling fans going tho...Sure are both your Tour de France winners actually Belgian & Kenyan :D:D:D:D

His development was phenomenal tho...Came from nowhere to win a Grand Tour...Unreal stuff;)

Macy0161 wrote: »

No it's never sat right me that nice guy bit. They showed the 2012 Tour you mentioned on Eurosport there last week and it was a reminder of a few things for me.

c.p.w.g.w wrote:
    But his good to get the British cycling fans going tho...Sure are both your Tour de France winners actually Belgian & Kenyan
    I save that as a response to stuff about Dan, Sam and Nico to be honest!
    No it's never sat right me that nice guy bit. They showed the 2012 Tour you mentioned on Eurosport there last week and it was a reminder of a few things for me.
    I've been avoiding all that "best of the brits" stuff. Only just finished the Giro's so starting on the Tours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

519322.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I'd say he'll have free role at the Tour but have to play the good teammate if things are tight for Bernal in the third week. He won't be supported if he has a problem during a stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭billyhead

He will be taking part in this year's tour. He said he would in a recent interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

No way do they pick him for the Tour team.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I read some where they only reason it isnt a mid season transfer is because he was guaranteed a tour ride. Madness if you ask me

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    I read some where they only reason it isnt a mid season transfer is because he was guaranteed a tour ride. Madness if you ask me

That I read too and further to that was the reason Ineos didn't renew his contract was he wanted a guaranteed sole leader role, which they were never giving him that at 35 with unproven form post crash and with Bernal and Carapaz on the rise and he knew all this. So was a handy way out for all concerned.

We were talking about this here earlier about the grand tours in general this year all coming among a madly condensed calendar and herself said to hell with Froome and that out of all the contenders the one man she'd love to see win one this year is Thibaut Pinot. Couldn't argue with her there I'd love to see it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I hope he does go to to the tour; cycling needs another Marmolada Massacre. There is no way that Froome doesnt attack Bernal should he get the opportunity to do so because he is going to take every opportunity to get that fifth title.
    I'm just not sure that Brilasford/Inoes take the risk of this happening. Imagine Bernal is out in front and Froome attacks and in do so drags a few more contenders back into reach. It could make for a great Tour - maybe Pinot can sit in the wings and steal it from both of them

Hard to imagine Froome having any guarantee that'd stand up. Hasn't really raced since the accident, so he could tank at any/ all of the warm up races. Ineos aren't going to give an "no matter what" guarantee, so once there's wriggle room... We know from 2012, and even from Thomas' win to a degree, Froome doesn't really do team orders.

Advertisement