Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modified vintage car insurance

Options
  • 09-07-2020 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

So I've been trying to get insurance on my classic car and so far I only have one realistic quote from Carole Nash.

When I spoke to them last year, they mentioned that modifying the car would not be a problem and potentially wouldn't affect my premium.

When I asked about it today though I was told I could do no modification (except maybe to restore it).

I then asked if I had a vintage car, would I be able to modify that and was again told that I wouldn't.

I had been previously toying with the idea of getting an old MGB GT and doing an engine swap or turbocharging it, but it now seems if I did that, I wouldn't be able to insure it.

My question here is does anyone have a modified vintage car?

And if so, how have you insured it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Miscreant

farna_boy wrote: »
    So I've been trying to get insurance on my classic car and so far I only have one realistic quote from Carole Nash.

When I spoke to them last year, they mentioned that modifying the car would not be a problem and potentially wouldn't affect my premium.

When I asked about it today though I was told I could do no modification (except maybe to restore it).

I then asked if I had a vintage car, would I be able to modify that and was again told that I wouldn't.

I had been previously toying with the idea of getting an old MGB GT and doing an engine swap or turbocharging it, but it now seems if I did that, I wouldn't be able to insure it.

You could check Autoline in Northern Ireland. They insure modified classics in the Republic so might be worth a shot. A friend of mine just bought a modified classic and they had no issue insuring it where other companies refused. Hilarious thing is that they are underwritten by AXA but they would not quote my friend directly so go figure I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

farna_boy wrote: »

Hope someone here can help?
    Long story short, my mate let his insurance lapse, is getting extortionate quotes,
    (he's artic, hgv, etc etc) licence, but wants a small affordable run around, and his only way of cheaper insurance is getting a vintage csr/camper van,
    He wants to know does he have tehabe private insurance for first, or can he go straight to vintage?
    Tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hope someone here can help?
    Long story short, my mate let his insurance lapse, is getting extortionate quotes,
    (he's artic, hgv, etc etc) licence, but wants a small affordable run around, and his only way of cheaper insurance is getting a vintage csr/camper van,
    He wants to know does he have tehabe private insurance for first, or can he go straight to vintage?
    Tnx

You need to have a daily driver insured to get vintage insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Del2005 wrote: »
    You need to have a daily driver insured to get vintage insurance.

Thanks, that news's kills that plan for him so, again thank you

Advertisement