Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huge Variation in Speeds Between Devices and High Latency Virgin Media

• 09-07-2020 5:30pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,931 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping someone on here can shed some light on what my problem might be.

We live in a house with my parents and sister, plus me, my husband and my 2 kids, so there are a fair few devices connected to the internet at once. The internet package we have is the Virgin Media 360mb, which comes with the hub 3.0. The issue we're having is that some of the devices in the house are getting great speeds (mostly between 300 and 360) whereas other devices often are dropping down to kb speeds and are nearly unusable.

We have a set of those Virgin Media Powerline adaptors, one of which is plugged in upstairs because I need to run an ethernet cable from that to a desktop computer. I'd be lucky to get 20mbps on that, and frequently it's less than 10.

Here is a list of the devices and the download speeds they've been getting:

Dad's Phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) - 300 to 360mbps wifi
    Dad's Laptop (Acer about 3 years old) - 300 to 360 mbps wifi or ethernet
    Mum's Phone (iPhone 8) - 150 to 200 mpbs wifi
    My phone (Galaxy Note 10 plus) - 0.6mbps to 25mbps wifi
    My iPad (6th gen) - 70 to 90mbps
    Husband's Phone (galaxy note 8) 0.6mbps to 25mbps wifi
    My desktop (custom build) - 0.6mbps up to 40mbps but usually under 20
    Sister's desktop (Lenovo Ideacentre) - around 100mbps wifi
    My Laptop (Acer 2 years old) - max of 30mbps

My husband and I only moved in a week ago, and prior to that in our old house, we would consistently get speeds of over 300mpbs on all devices, so I can't understand how suddenly it's gotten so poor here. I've tried numerous reboots on the router and resetting the powerline adaptor but nothing seems to improve it. We thought it might be my parents Virgin Hub was a bit old, so we plugged in ours (we had one in our old house and it's only 6 months old) but while the speeds have improved slightly, it's not really made much difference.

I've tried a few different speed test versions and what I've noticed is that the latency is really high. I've just done one on Fast.com and the loaded latency is 979ms on my desktop with a download speed of 15mpbs and an upload speed of 46mbps.

Is there any way I can fix this or find out what's causing it? I want to exhaust all avenues before having to go through the torture of contacting Virgin Media's customer care, so any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Turn off the homeplugs, disable wifi. Wire one laptop to the hub. Test. See what latency is like that way.

1x client pushing enough pps will essentially act like a denial of service attack.

b3JmQ8Q.png

Thats one computer downloading a 10GB game using multiple parallel connections. Its on a homeplug so limited to about 180Mb at best of a 240Mb connection. Latency from 20ms to 380ms+. One of your clients could be much of your issue.

Also you need to split your wifi networks. Right now the hub is broadcasting two networks (2.4 and 5Ghz) and one is never going to be useful for anything. Splitting allows you to force most devices onto 5Ghz, your older devices will just have to make do.

Advertisement