Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

painting exterior of a house

• 09-07-2020 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

Im going painting exterior of a house in a few days, its a regular block wall and its just got ordinary plaster on it, nothing fancy.

Ive given it a good wash with power washer so its v patchy at the minute paint chips missing everywhere. The Atlantic Ocean wins over Dulux Weathershield.

Im going roller shopping tomorrow, so Ill be buying a medium 9" roller.

when that roller is loaded, how much surface area of wall should I cover before I need to dip again ?

Im guessing 8ftX3ft maximum ?

And I guess Ill need 2 coats as its white ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Don't over think it.

Paint it.

You'll know yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

listermint wrote: »
    Don't over think it.

Paint it.

You'll know yourself.

Get a bottle of Owetrol anti fungal additive & add to paint, paint will last much longer & easier to apply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

8ft x3ft??

That's stretching it a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Is there a general consensus on best exterior paint to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Get a proper paint scuttle, 12" long pile ( not medium )roller sleeve. Dip the roller sleeve into the paint and roll off 3 or 4 times on the side of the scuttle. You will know yourself how often to dip by the coverage on the wall. Last thing, if you get white paint to cover in 2 coats, then do the lottery

• Advertisement

Anti fungal will not make exterior paint last longer. Most , if not all, already have anti fungal built in. Add in Owatrol EB into first coat if you want . Its expensive but is a brilliant product

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Is there a general consensus on best exterior paint to use?

Just to check this again - any thoughts on best exterior paint for value vs quality? Is Dulux Weathershield a good shout?

One of the best is Tikkurila Finngard. Nothing wrong with weathershield. My "go to" at the minute is Fleetwood Weather Clad. superb paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Just to check this again - any thoughts on best exterior paint for value vs quality? Is Dulux Weathershield a good shout?

Not usually a fan of Johnstones paint but their exterior is pretty good. I also used Mcpherson exterior recently and found it had good coverage, but it was a colour, not sure about how their white would cover. White exterior is usually not great to cover.

I find Ceresit silicone based very good, and it has good coverage as well.
    https://www.insulationshop.co/silicone_paint_ceresit_ct48.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Second the Tikkurila Finngard recommendation. Painted the house during lockdown and it's lovely stuff to work with. Have since done a further 3 interior rooms with Tikkurila paints so am a convert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I've used weathershield and sandtex.

Weathershield is on the house a couple of years now and holding up well (3 coats). Sandtex is on the garden walls and shed and also holding up well.

I would recommend both but there is something about the sandtex that seems a bit better to me, might be that it just seems to go on nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

aidanki wrote: »
    Im going painting exterior of a house in a few days, its a regular block wall and its just got ordinary plaster on it, nothing fancy.

Ive given it a good wash with power washer so its v patchy at the minute paint chips missing everywhere. The Atlantic Ocean wins over Dulux Weathershield.

Im going roller shopping tomorrow, so Ill be buying a medium 9" roller.

when that roller is loaded, how much surface area of wall should I cover before I need to dip again ?

Im guessing 8ftX3ft maximum ?

And I guess Ill need 2 coats as its white ?
    Personally, I’d always use a coat of stabilising primer. Bloody great stuff, particularly for already painted, flaky substrates. Just roll it on the day before painting. 10ltrs will cover a regular 3 bed semi.

https://store.aicpaints.ie/Fleetwood-Masonry-Stabilising-Primer-p92290931

dodzy wrote: »
    Personally, I’d always use a coat of stabilising primer. Bloody great stuff, particularly for already painted, flaky substrates. Just roll it on the day before painting. 10ltrs will cover a regular 3 bed semi.

https://store.aicpaints.ie/Fleetwood-Masonry-Stabilising-Primer-p92290931

I'd agree that stabilising solution/primer is good stuff, where needed.
    If it's not needed then there's no point in wasting time and money.
    It's not needed in the vast majority of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Ceepo wrote: »
    I'd agree that stabilising solution/primer is good stuff, where needed.
    If it's not needed then there's no point in wasting time and money.
    It's not needed in the vast majority of cases.

I’d fix the chips before I started - I did mine and didn’t and it is still annonying me. If this carries in I’m going to have to do another job on it again.

I’d fix the chips before I started - I did mine and didn’t and it is still annonying me. If this carries in I’m going to have to do another job on it again.

While appreciating that every job is different, and of course prep work is the key to a good job, this is the difference in job done by a professional and someone with "sure if you can piss you can paint" attitude.
    If you have a sound base then you don't need stabilising primer.
    If your wall has a chalky residue then you do need a primer prior to painting it.
    If your wall has loose flakey paint you need to remove "all" of that first.
    If you don't remove it all, and apply a primer over it, any loose paint will lift off anyway at some point.
    Stabilising Primer/solution can only be as effective as the base it go's on.

Ceepo wrote: »
    While appreciating that every job is different, and of course prep work is the key to a good job, this is the difference in job done by a professional and someone with "sure if you can piss you can paint" attitude.
    If you have a sound base then you don't need stabilising primer.
    If your wall has a chalky residue then you do need a primer prior to painting it.
    If your wall has loose flakey paint you need to remove "all" of that first.
    If you don't remove it all, and apply a primer over it, any loose paint will lift off anyway at some point.
    Stabilising Primer/solution can only be as effective as the base it go's on.

This!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭mac_09

Currently starting this project myself. All paint is chipping away so have started removing the remaining with a power washer. I have completed the side of the house up to head height.

Next step is to get a ladder and go higher. Any hints on how to stop the paint chips flying everywhere - especially into neighbours side passage / garden?

Thanks,

The flakes will get everywhere. Use the powerwasher as a "brush" after and sweep them into a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did this job recently and on advice from this forum used Fleetwood Weather Clad and Owetrol EB as the primer. Very happy with the job, I did it white and it is indeed very white, a neighbour said he would need sunglasses to look at it:)

Agree about the flakes getting everywhere and its very hard to sweep them with a yard brush, that part was a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭mac_09

That's great, thanks!

Will definitely try the Owetrol EB Primer.

I'm not so worried about the paint flakes in my garden & side passage - I was more worried about the flakes flying all over my neighbours garden? Any advice on this? I will of course offer to clean up etc. but their garden is maintained very well and they take a lot of pride in it! Paint flakes in the flower beds might not go down the best??!

Thanks a millón

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I dont know for sure but would say if you have drop sheets perhaps offer to put them down on their grass/patio so you can pick up the flakes of paint easier by just folding up the sheets. I dont know how you would protect flower beds as a drop sheet over them would bend them over with the weight. That light weight netting that gardeners use to protect vegetables from animals might do it.

At the end of the day prevention is better than cure so try to power wash the house in a direction away from their house. Be wary of wind too. If you're a couple of minutes into the job and are finding flakes are going into their garden dont just continue on with the job, stop and think what you can do to prevent it. Definitely talk to them in advance of the job to let them know you'll clean up afterwards if anything does fall into their garden.

Advertisement