Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 520 Sync Issue

Options
  • 09-07-2020 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of first world hassle from my Garmin 520 lately. About a week or two ago I updated to software version 13.10. Since then the Garmin is lazy to auto upload to Garmin Connect (and subsequently to Strava). I have to switch the unit on and off a few times and maybe the phone too. It also seems to drop LiveTrack during a ride for no apparent reason.

Maybe it's the phone (iPhone 7) as it syncs without issue if I hardwire it to the desktop and sync using Garmin Express.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I don't really want to reset the 520 back to factory and then have the task of setting it up to my preferences all over again. I may still have the problem after a factory reset.

I did have a similar issue with a previous software version and it seemed to get resolved with later versions.

Ultimately, I'd like to get rid of it for a Wahoo.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Is the memory full? If you have a lot of rides stored on your Garmin, it makes auto sync slower.

I delete all rides from my Garmin every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Is the memory full? If you have a lot of rides stored on your Garmin, it makes auto sync slower.

I delete all rides from my Garmin every few weeks.

I do the same every so often. It’s been a month or so since I deleted so maybe 20/30 rides are stored.

I’ll delete the history and see what happens.

I’ve a good few courses stored so I’ll delete those also.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Every now and then I have sync issues with my 520 (Plus) also. It eventually just seems to sort itself out. I haven't figured out any specific cause or particular solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

crosstownk wrote: »
    Maybe it's the phone (iPhone 7) as it syncs without issue

IOS could be sleeping the app, if its seen to be using too much battery it gets nuked. Common problem with the Strava app not recording.

Cupertino says you dont need an option to disable it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ED E wrote: »
    IOS could be sleeping the app, if its seen to be using too much battery it gets nuked. Common problem with the Strava app not recording.

Cupertino says you dont need an option to disable it.

That may well explain the LiveTrack issue where the phone disconnects mid ride causing the LiveTrack to fail.

• Advertisement
Advertisement