Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Owning two cars

Options
  • 09-07-2020 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello guys,
    Want to check the options first before I buy a second car.
    1. Is it OK to own two cars at the same time. One for me and one for my spouse?
    2. We both are Irish full license drivers, will it possible to take Insurance one me as Main driver and spouse as named driver V-V?
    3. Also want to add other provisional named drivers on one car to get NCB, is willing to pay difference in Insurance price, he won't be using the cars though. Is this acceptable ? I am aware main driver NCB will be affected if at all any claims.
    4. Both Vehicles, non-Commercial will be used only for Personal purposes.

Thanks in Advance
    Regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

kvr1727 wrote: »
    Hello guys,
    2. We both are Irish full license drivers, will it possible to take Insurance one me as Main driver and spouse as named driver V-V?
    3. Also want to add other provisional named drivers on one car to get NCB, is willing to pay difference in Insurance price, he won't be using the cars though. Is this acceptable ? I am aware main driver NCB will be affected if at all any claims.

Thanks in Advance
    Regards.

You will need to take it a policy on each vehicle, on some policies the spouse is covered automatically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Osamabumdipper

kvr1727 wrote: »
    Hello guys,

Thanks in Advance
    Regards.

Yeah just need two separate insurance policies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yeah just need two separate insurance policies

You can own as many cars as you like.
    You have to insure each one separately.
    You can only use your NCB on one policy at a time.
    Named drivers don't get NCB, so no point.

Its just a matter of money, really

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

You will need to take it a policy on each vehicle, on some policies the spouse is covered automatically

Also on some the spouse is the only one NOT allowed to drive :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

galwaytt wrote: »

While named drivers don't earn an actual No Claims Bonus, they may still be entitled to a "no claims discount" when they seek their own policy some other time. Just a few examples:

https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/help-centre/what-is-named-driving-experience
    https://www.123.ie/customer-care/my-policy-documents/no-claims-discount/do-additional-drivers-earn-a-no-claims-discount-on-my-policy
    https://www.axa.ie/help/question/what-is-named-driving-experience/

So, there might be some point to it after all. OP might want to consider it a bit further first, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Osamabumdipper

Exactly...all common sense stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Insurance Companies are a lot more willing to insure you if you were a named driver for 2 years years first. It does not give you NCB but it make it easier to get quote.
    Some companies give you a discount if you add yoy spouse a d named driver on your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭djan

Don't discount the value of named driver no claims experience. With 123.ie I got a reduction of 300 euro on a 1500 3rd party policy due to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I had 10 years named driving experience when I got my own car. Post insurance gave me a discount equivalent of 5 years no claims bonus. They carried that over for the next two years I was with them

Some companies will give you a discount the first year after your named driving experience but then remove that discount the second year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

djan wrote: »
    Don't discount the value of named driver no claims experience. With 123.ie I got a reduction of 300 euro on a 1500 3rd party policy due to it.

but that's just it: named driver experience (NDE) does not actually earn NCB. What it does do is enable you to get a quote in your own name more easily, and some companies will extend a discount for that NDE. Note the NDE has to be a minimum of 1 year unbroken to be even condsidered.

I just went through all this with my/our insurer, in March. Bloody nightmare.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement