Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Employee Got Mugged

• 10-07-2020 6:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭

Our new employee from China got mugged on the Groody Road at approximately 7:30 pm Wednesday evening.

They threatened him with a screwdriver. Took his cash. Luckily they didn't take his laptop, memory sticks or bank cards.

He was fairly shaken since it was his first time ever getting mugged.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

YFlyer wrote: »
    Our new employee from China got mugged on the Groody Road at approximately 7:30 pm Wednesday evening.

They threatened him with a screwdriver. Took his cash. Luckily they didn't take his laptop, memory sticks or bank cards.

He was fairly shaken since it was his first time ever getting mugged.

Very sorry to hear your colleague went through that, and it must be traumatic for him.

To my understanding, the Gardai don't log such incidents as racially aggravated assaults / thefts, even though he was likely picked out because of his race. They should really start doing so.

Going by where it happened and the nature of the mugging, I'd wager that it was a native ethnic type that was the perp. Very little in the way of crime out that way bar the usual suspects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

He was most likely mugged because he was a very easy target. Dirty scumbag(s) hopefully he got a good look at them and gave a good description to Gardai of what they looked like. Let’s hope the next person they target is able to take the screwdriver from them and stab them right in the balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yurt! wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear your colleague went through that, and it must be traumatic for him.

To my understanding, the Gardai don't log such incidents as racially aggravated assaults / thefts, even though he was likely picked out because of his race. They should really start doing so.

Going by where it happened and the nature of the mugging, I'd wager that it was a native ethnic type that was the perp. Very little in the way of crime out that way bar the usual suspects.

True, it normally quiet there.

Yeah I knew exactly who did it as I passed there before 7 pm and one of them was training his equine breed.

He was most likely mugged because he was a very easy target. Dirty scumbag(s) hopefully he got a good look at them and gave a good description to Gardai of what they looked like. Let’s hope the next person they target is able to take the screwdriver from them and stab them right in the balls.

The chap was well shaken. Shouldn't have been totally wet behind the ears as he is currently studying for his PhD at UCD.

I won't speculate.

• Advertisement

I won't speculate.

I was talking to the Chinese student this morning. He is over the initial shock.

I won't speculate.

Don't believe those were my exact words but I'll accept the mod-snip! :D

Don't believe those were my exact words but I'll accept the mod-snip! :D

I was replying to your earlier version of the post ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Are you saying that when I lived in south London and I was robbed 3 times and intimidated 3 times all by people of colour that those incidents should have been recorded as a racist attack?

AllForIt wrote: »
    Are you saying that when I lived in south London and I was robbed 3 times and intimidated 3 times all by people of colour that those incidents should have been recorded as a racist attack?

I don't know if you were explicitly targeted because of your race, but if you have reason to believe you were, I see no reason why it shouldn't be recorded by the police and serve as an aggravating factor in the crime. I'm honestly unaware of the legislative position in the UK with this; but I believe it should be introduced in Ireland for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's obvious not a nice thing to happen, but I'm not sure of the point of this thread. The OP has told the story and left it open ended. Are you looking for help in finding the attackers? Advice on what the victim should do? What's the fact that he's a new employee got to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

These scumbags are opportunists plain and simple.

If they saw a young Irish student in the same situation they'd have pounced too.

Racism is not the reason. They've never needed that to motivate their criminal behaviour.

It's obvious not a nice thing to happen, but I'm not sure of the point of this thread. The OP has told the story and left it open ended. Are you looking for help in finding the attackers? Advice on what the victim should do? What's the fact that he's a new employee got to do with anything?

To mention that these attacks still occur.

To mention that these attacks still occur.

In fairness it's not exactly news that muggings occur. They happen every day all over the world and as long as there are criminals and junkies will continue to happen. I'm still not sure why it was relevant that the victim was a new employee in your company though. It could happen to anyone.

In fairness it's not exactly news that muggings occur. They happen every day all over the world and as long as there are criminals and junkies will continue to happen. I'm still not sure why it was relevant that the victim was a new employee in your company though. It could happen to anyone.

It was a local incident that happened to a foreign student.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭consulatory

Oh FFS. Not everything is racially motivated. The word racist is on the verge of losing all meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

If the sole purpose was to rob the victim, then why do you think the the criminals chose to rob him because of his race? You havn't even met the lad or know what he looks like, (there are dozens of ethnic groups in China), and your'e bringing race into it without knowing anything about the crime beyond the very basic details. It may be very relevant, who knows, but saying it likely is racially motivated based on absolutely no evidence and then going onto criticise the police force for poor reporting of this type of crime is pretty ridiculous. When you posted that, you didn't even know whether the crime had been loged with the gardai, or what information the gardai looked for if it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

Limerick is a bad place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

6541 wrote: »
    Limerick is a bad place.

Stop using your parent's boards.ie account little one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Tbf, I'm assuming the idea that he might have been targeted because he was Chinese is just because he'd likely be an easier target (less familiar with muggings, less familiar with escape routes, less understanding of the actual physical danger he was in, more likely to be carrying large amounts of cash) that some race-based dislike of any Chinese ethnic groups.

That is to say, his race, or his foreignness at least, may have made him a target.

Muggers the world over target tourists/foreigners for the same reasons.

• Advertisement

Sadly the guy got such a bad experience, he has left Limerick and gone back to UCD to continue his studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

They certainly should not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sadly the guy got such a bad experience, he has left Limerick and gone back to UCD to continue his studies.

Grim really. Scumbag doing the same to so many others no doubt.

As I said before it's not a nice thing to happen, but it's not unique to Limerick. He's as likely to be mugged back in Dublin (or anywhere else) as he is in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

As I said before it's not a nice thing to happen, but it's not unique to Limerick. He's as likely to be mugged back in Dublin (or anywhere else) as he is in Limerick.

True, but how often do you hear of someone coming back from a city (eg Barcelona) and had a close call/mugged and their opinion of Spain is 'it's rough'. That'll be the guy's thought on Limerick now.

If never mugged in Dublin he'll obviously have that opinion of Limerick exclusively.

callaway92 wrote: »
    True, but how often do you hear of someone coming back from a city (eg Barcelona) and had a close call/mugged and their opinion of Spain is 'it's rough'. That'll be the guy's thought on Limerick now.

If never mugged in Dublin he'll obviously have that opinion of Limerick exclusively.

I'm aware that this individual won't have a good memory of Limerick, but my point, in all my posts in this thread, is that this unfortunately happens everywhere, isn't unique to Limerick, isn't newsworthy and definitely isn't worthy of a whole thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

callaway92 wrote: »

I've previously lived in Spain for a while, speak fairly good spanish, spent quite a bit of time travelling to Spanish cities still(Covid obviously stalled this) and Barcelona is bloody notorious for street crime, muggings and pick pocketing.

The student in question was unfortunate in that he was mugged.
    The chances of him being mugged because he was Chinese are IMO near nil.
    He was targeted as being coming from student accomodation or estate along with heading towards UL.

Easy mark for any quick mugging tbh.
    Likely carrying a laptop, phone headphones and other electronic gear that would all be fairly quickly sold on.

If there was a modus to the targeting of the victim, it was far more likely to be that they were young, alone and carrying a backpack than it was they were Chinese.

I'm sorry Yflyer lost their employee, and that the kid had such an awful experience.
    But this was far more likely a "student" victim in the eyes of the perpetrators than a Chinese one.

Anyone remember that family from Syria that said they'd rather go back to war torn Syria than stay in Limerick?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Were they sent back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Anyone remember that family from Syria that said they'd rather go back to war torn Syria than stay in Limerick?..

And I would hazard a guess that they didn't leave:pac:

Advertisement