Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Employee Got Mugged

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

banie01 wrote: »
    I've previously lived in Spain for a while, speak fairly good spanish, spent quite a bit of time travelling to Spanish cities still(Covid obviously stalled this) and Barcelona is bloody notorious for street crime, muggings and pick pocketing.

Jesus..I literally just chose a named city at random..Barcelona was the name that came into my head..I don't particularly care if you lived there before etc. I've been there a heap of times too and never had issues. I could've just said Milan, whatever.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Jesus..I literally just chose a named city at random..Barcelona was the name that came into my head..I don't particularly care if you lived there before etc. I've been there a heap of times too and never had issues. I could've just said Milan, whatever.

yes but the other poster is correct.

Barcelona is notorious as a city for tourists being relieved of money /possessions - albeit usually the handbag swipe, the watch / necklace rip or pickpocketing as opposed to being threatened with a screwdriver or knife by a toerag

e.g. https://www.thejournal.ie/vigilante-patrols-in-barcelona-after-surge-in-crime-4780602-Aug2019/

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/europe/spain/barcelona-pickpocket-capital-of-the-world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I didn't say I lived in Barcelona,did I?
    Much like the actual point of my post, another little thing you missed.

glasso wrote: »
    yes but the other poster is correct.

Barcelona is notorious for tourists being relieved of money /possessions - albeit usually the handbag swipe, the watch / necklace rip or pickpocketing as opposed to being threatened with a screwdriver or knife by a toerag

e.g. https://www.thejournal.ie/vigilante-patrols-in-barcelona-after-surge-in-crime-4780602-Aug2019/

Ah lads... I literally just picked a random city name. My god.

I could've just said Brussels or something random..

I didn't say I lived in Barcelona,did I?
    Much like the actual point of my post, another little thing you missed.

Whatever...you said Spain.

My god how has this thread gone in this direction like... people being poisonous for the sake of it

The young lad's impression of Limerick will be shít was the point originally and he's well within his right to have that opinion - Even if 99% of people say it's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

My god how has this thread gone in this direction like... people being poisonous for the sake of it

The young lad's impression of Limerick will be shít was the point originally and he's well within his right to have that opinion - Even if 99% of people say it's fine.

Well done on completely misrepresenting the so called 99%. Absolutely nobody has said it was fine. Everybody who's posted has given their sympathy to the lad. Nobody is being poisonous either. We're all well aware that his impression of Limerick is ****.

However people get mugged every single day in every city in the world. People not from those cities will leave with a bad impression. It's not nice, but it not news and doesn't need a thread on boards.

Well done on completely misrepresenting the so called 99%. Absolutely nobody has said it was fine. Everybody who's posted has given their sympathy to the lad. Nobody is being poisonous either. We're all well aware that his impression of Limerick is ****.

However people get mugged every single day in every city in the world. People not from those cities will leave with a bad impression. It's not news though and doesn't need a thread on boards.

It's a Limerick forum though - Threads here would be based on local events surely? I didn't say the situation was fine btw - I said it's disgusting to have happened. **** sake like

I actually can't keep reading such nauseating stuff like the above... It's an issue that occurred in Limerick.

You and Banie just went off on a tangent here for no reason

I think ye misinterpreted my original point to be honest and have went off in a different direction altogether.

Ah lads... I literally just picked a random city name. My god.

I could've just said Brussels or something random..

well you picked a city that is notorious for street crime so quite a bad choice really in the context of the thread and your point in particular you'd have to agree.

glasso wrote: »
    well you picked a city that is notorious for street crime so quite a bad choice really in the context of the thread and your point in particular you'd have to agree.

Ah glasso please stop..The city I wrote (literally just wrote a city name) just happened to be that. What the hell is going on here, seriously now?

Poisonous? Where? Who?
    If you want to ignore the city and address the rest of my post outside of that?
    Fine, great let's talk about what did happen and what your point is?

As for the young lads impression, of course it's going to be shít.
    He got robbed when he was here to work.
    A large number of Freshers and new arrivals to the Castletroy and UL area encounter this every year tho.

This thread was initially framed as the kid being targeted because he was Chinese, he 99.9% wasn't.
    He was most likely targeted for the reasons I laid out in the post you decided to ignore other than whingeing about your poor choice of example being rebuffed.

Now if you want to leave out the example posited, and empathise with the victim? Brilliant.
    I agree, it's a poor experience for any visitor.

I'd be all for increased Garda and even if possible Campus security presence on the student estates and routes to/from UL.

But other than that, what would you propose?

• Advertisement

Poisonous? Where? Who?
    If you want to ignore the city and address the rest of my post outside of that?
    Fine, great let's talk about what did happen and what your point is?

As for the young lads impression, of course it's going to be shít.
    He got robbed when he was here to work.
    A large number of Freshers and new arrivals to the Castletroy and UL area encounter this every year tho.

This thread was initially framed as the kid being targeted because he was Chinese, he 99.9% wasn't.
    He was most likely targeted for the reasons I laid out in the post you decided to ignore other than whingeing about your poor choice of example being rebuffed.

Now if you want to leave out the example posited, and empathise with the victim? Brilliant.
    I agree, it's a poor experience for any visitor.

I'd be all for increased Garda and even if possible Campus security presence on the student estates and routes to/from UL.

But other than that, what would you propose?

I don't know! It's just an unlucky occurrence for the fella and it was raised on the Limerick section of a discussion forum.

Nothing wrong with people talking about it. My god

EDIT: Can't believe I'm actually writing this - But the whole thing of you and Cookiemunster 'liking' all of each other's posts on this thread like 12 year olds is hilarious.

I don't know! It's just an unlucky occurrence for the fella and it was raised on the Limerick section of a discussion forum.

Nothing wrong with people talking about it. My god

EDIT: Can't believe I'm actually writing this - But the whole thing of you and Cookiemunster 'liking' all of each other's posts on this thread like 12 year olds is hilarious.

You really need to step away from the internet and have a cookie.

I'm still struggling to grasp what your point is, and when you are asked what it actually is?
    You don't know?

As for liking posts, is that not how you show agreement with a post?
    Should I not do it? Should I ask your permission if it's ok to have an opinion before I try to share one?

Seriously, you are taking things very personally and are outraged at what?

It's a Limerick forum though - Threads here would be based on local events surely? I didn't say the situation was fine btw - I said it's disgusting to have happened. **** sake like

I actually can't keep reading such nauseating stuff like the above... It's an issue that occurred in Limerick.

You and Banie just went off on a tangent here for no reason

I think ye misinterpreted my original point to be honest and have went off in a different direction altogether.

It's an issue that occurs everywhere and isn't unique to Limerick has been my point through the whole thread. I haven't gone off on any tangents, especially when your original post was a reply to me, that was your good self.

I suggest you calm down and actually read my posts. Nowhere did I say you think its is fine, I was replying to you accusing 99% of posters of thinking that it was fine, which is completely incorrect.

The only misrepresentation here is coming from yourself.

Sorry...I just can't comment on this thread again - This is my last on. Reply to it as you wish my man.

My original reply to you wasn't an argument etc - It was a discussion point.

I didn't say 99% of posters think it's fine.

I said probably 99% of people living in Limerick think Limerick is fine.

I'd thank that post, but I'm awaiting confirmation of the rules ;)

Sorry...I just can't comment on this thread again - This is my last on. Reply to it as you wish my man.

My original reply to you wasn't an argument etc - It was a discussion point.

I didn't say 99% of posters think it's fine.

OK I read that part of your post incorrectly, but that's still completely and utterly rubbish. 99% of people in Limerick are law abiding citizens who would be aghast at anyone being mugged. Their race or origin doesn't come into it. I think you're just having a go at Limerick now.

Cookie just said the above, and then you double down with this?

That's quite a claim, one I'd disagree with.
    Limerick is far from fine, and I've not seen anyone claim that?

You are seriously after ranting based on nothing and are now making a baseless claim before bowing out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Yurt! wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear your colleague went through that, and it must be traumatic for him.

To my understanding, the Gardai don't log such incidents as racially aggravated assaults / thefts, even though he was likely picked out because of his race. They should really start doing so.

Going by where it happened and the nature of the mugging, I'd wager that it was a native ethnic type that was the perp. Very little in the way of crime out that way bar the usual suspects.

To be fair scumbags will rob any easy target infairness to em they don't discriminate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Muggings don't happen everywhere in my experience and are definitely prevolent in Limerick. Why, though? Students are regularly terrorised by these dodgy characters and very little is ever done about it. I have a friend whos house was burgled and he was threatened with a knife at 4am in his own bedroom in college court.

I roll my eyes whenever 'Blindboy' goes on a rant on twitter, proclaiming that Limerick > Galway and that tourists should wake up + agree. The vibes in Galway are nothing like Limerick's and in my 4 years of living there, I never heard on anyone being mugged. That being said, the city itself has come on a great stride in comparison to what it was like 5-6 years ago.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Why, though? Students are regularly terrorised by these dodgy characters and very little is ever done about it.

Very true, it's a point I made earlier.
    Students are all too often seen as easy pickings by scummers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

bb1234567 wrote: »
    If the sole purpose was to rob the victim, then why do you think the the criminals chose to rob him because of his race? You havn't even met the lad or know what he looks like, (there are dozens of ethnic groups in China), and your'e bringing race into it without knowing anything about the crime beyond the very basic details. It may be very relevant, who knows, but saying it likely is racially motivated based on absolutely no evidence and then going onto criticise the police force for poor reporting of this type of crime is pretty ridiculous. When you posted that, you didn't even know whether the crime had been loged with the gardai, or what information the gardai looked for if it was.

Well I doubt he was part of the Russian ethnic minority from Dongbei for one thing. And I'd have my doubts our assailant can pick out the difference between a Hui, Han or Mongolian Chinese national; mostly that they're after a soft target, and I've a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you if you think that the man's non-Irish appearance didn't feed into him being targeted.

Ireland is by the way almost unique in the EU that the racist element of attacks are not an aggravating factor in sentencing, and are filtered out in the prosecuting documents if recorded at all. Again, the CSO and Gardai collect no date on racially motivated assaults, which tells you a lot about how they are recorded. This has been noted by the UN by the way, who have called for legislation to remedy this legal anomaly compared to other countries.

As it happens research by UL (a stone's throw away from the incident coincidentally) fed into the UN report and was name-checked.

Seriously?

I'm not going to put a percentage on it, but it's highly likely he was. Lowlifes pick on foreigners because they think they're an easy mark as another poster correctly pointed out.

Seriously?

Yes, the incident took place in an area that has a high rate of crimes against students.
    The fact that anyone in the area walking on their own and carrying a backpack is at the very least likely to have a Laptop that can be quickly moved on plays a huge part in the targeting of students.

The mugging and the effect on the victim is abhorrent, however a large number of students of all races are accosted yearly and suffer similar losses.
    There needs to be a specifically targeted policing strategy aimed at ensuring students in the Castletroy and surrounding areas can commute to/from the Uni in a greater degree of safety than is currently available.

To be quite honest, if I was to take up a career in mugging, I could think of few better places to victim source than surrounding UL and the areas between UL, Groody and Kilmurry.

Its far more likely this lad was targeted because he had a backpack and likely other electronic gear and cash and was alone, than it was because he was Chinese.

If it was because he was Chinese? Given that we have quite a settled and well integrated Chinese community in the city and indeed the country?
    I'd expect to hear quite a bit more about it.

Well if you're 99.9% sure about it I'll leave you to your odds. You must think very highly of the muggers of Castletroy. I doubt we'll be seeing the assailant celebrating Chinese New Year any time soon.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Muggings don't happen everywhere in my experience and are definitely prevolent in Limerick. Why, though? Students are regularly terrorised by these dodgy characters and very little is ever done about it. I have a friend whos house was burgled and he was threatened with a knife at 4am in his own bedroom in college court.

I roll my eyes whenever 'Blindboy' goes on a rant on twitter, proclaiming that Limerick > Galway and that tourists should wake up + agree. The vibes in Galway are nothing like Limerick's and in my 4 years of living there, I never heard on anyone being mugged. That being said, the city itself has come on a great stride in comparison to what it was like 5-6 years ago.

Never heard of anyone being mugged in Galway?

Teens face trial following spate of muggings in Galway https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/teens-face-trial-following-spate-of-muggings-in-galway-1.3403371%3fmode=amp

Young man stabbed after armed robbery attempt https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/young-man-stabbed-after-armed-robbery-attempt/

Teenage girl has vital medical equipment stolen during mugging https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/news/teenage-girl-has-vital-medical-equipment-stolen-during-mugging-36439652.html

All within your 4 years in Galway.

Or how about NUIGs advice to students to avoid being mugged? https://services.su.nuigalway.ie/site/view/1110/ I wonder why they give that advice?

Limerick has its issues, but no more than any other city. I wish people would quit singling it out as if it was the only place that crime existed.

Well if you're 99.9% sure about it I'll leave you to your odds. You must think very highly of the muggers of Castletroy. I doubt we'll be seeing the assailant celebrating Chinese New Year any time soon.

The mugger may have seen an Asian face and seen an easy mark, but the easy mark could as easily been an Irish girl walking on her own. Muggers look for vulnerable people, not race when they pick their victims.

it's never going to shake that rep is though really?

Coined by a Limerick newspaper allegedly so a self-inflicted wound then...

http://www.aran-isles.com/blog/2008/09/stab-city-no-shotgun-city-woul.php

Advertisement