Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General warranty query

Options
  • 10-07-2020 2:08pm

Hi, couldn't find a general Q&A thread so I'm unsure where to put this question. Don't really think it deserves a thread of its own, but anyway.....

Mrs $hifty bought a fitbit and after about 14 months the battery started to fail. It wouldn't hold its charge and would sometimes need to be charged twice per day even after being at 100% in the morning. We contacted them and got a new one......free of charge (in more ways than one). It has now been about another 14 months or so and the replacement has developed the same fault.

Does the warranty period reset when you receive the new/replacement product? So, even though the initial 2 year period has expired, was the clock reset at the 14 month stage when we replaced the 1st unit, or are we SOL?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Clock doesn't reset on warranties unless explicitly stated; which is basically never

Consumer rights also don't reset but have a longer potential period - although at ~28 months now it may not be worth the effort to try enforce them for what could be a reduced value on something that can be quite cheap to begin with depending on model.

However, Fitbit have a decent reputation for customer care so it may be worth asking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

no the warranty does not automatically reset. that much is black and white.

so your purchase was 28 months ago approximately for the purposes of calculating warranty. However under the sale of goods and supply action you have up to 6 years to log a small claims court.

that does not mean the product is supposed to last 6 years rather that the court can determine what the life of the product should be and how long you got out of it and perhaps assign some value to the length of time you should have got.

in this case you say you got 28 months, how long do you think a battery should last ?

Thanks for the replies, I'll give them a shout and see what they say. It's a bit dodgy that they can base a warranty off the original purchase, imo, but them's the breaks. Imagine if you bought a new car which went belly up with two months left on the warranty, they patched it up and gave it back to you, only for it to go bang in 3 months time. Would anybody be happy with rolling over and buying a brand new one?
    how long do you think a battery should last ?
    I would expect something that cost in the region of €150 to still be working a year and 2 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Thanks for the replies, I'll give them a shout and see what they say. It's a bit dodgy that they can base a warranty off the original purchase, imo, but them's the breaks. Imagine if you bought a new car which went belly up with two months left on the warranty, they patched it up and gave it back to you, only for it to go bang in 3 months time. Would anybody be happy with rolling over and buying a brand new one?

I would expect something that cost in the region of €150 to still be working a year and 2 months later.

Fitbit support is class, Reach out to them directly they replace every time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Its 2 years and four months later since your purchased it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement