Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthing a Shipping Container

Options
  • 10-07-2020 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi All ,

I need to bring electricity to a Metal Shipping container via SWA cable.

Is there any issue with adding an Earth rod to a TN-C-S Earthing arrangement ?
    Do I need an earth rod , or will the Earth from the SWA be OK ?

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Cable size, load, distance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 PosterX

AFAIK u don't put down a rod

You bring a main bond to the container

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi All ,

I need to bring electricity to a Metal Shipping container via SWA cable.

Is there any issue with adding an Earth rod to a TN-C-S Earthing arrangement ?
    Do I need an earth rod , or will the Earth from the SWA be OK ?

Many Thanks!

The container should be bonded back to the MET. I would use at least a 10 mm sq. cable for this. The armor on the SWA would not be sufficient in most cases.The armor often suffers from corrosion and glands can loosen over time. For these reasons and others I would always advise not to depend on SWA armor alone as a CPC or for bonding.

Depending on many factors such as the size of the supply and the distance the container is form the main board / building earth rod(s) may be best.

There is no issue with adding addition earth rods to a TN-C-S arrangement.

My preference would be to install a sub-board in the container and link the local earth rod to the earth bar in this board. The container should also be bonded to this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Are you saying to install a single 10mm^2 as a main bonding conductor along with the main supply cable?

Or supply the container with a 3x10mm^2 (Say the load is fine) and just bond the container to the met in the sub board within the container (This is they way I have always seen it done)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Are you saying to install a single 10mm^2 as a main bonding conductor along with the main supply cable?

I’m saying I would bond it with a cable that is at least 10 mm sq. even if the supply cable is only a 2.5 mm sq.
    Or supply the container with a 3x10mm^2 (Say the load is fine) and just bond the container to the met in the sub board within the container (This is they way I have always seen it done)

That would be a good option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

2011 wrote: »
    The container should be bonded by to the MET. I would use at least a 10 mm sq. cable for this. The armor on the SWA would not be sufficient in most cases.The armor often suffers from corrosion and can glands loosen over time. For these reasons and others I would always advise to to depend on this alone as a CPC or for bonding.

Depending on many factors such as the size of the supply and the distance the container is form the main board / building earth rod(s) may be best.

There is no issue with adding addition earth rods to a TN-C-S arrangement.

My preference would be to install a sub-board in the container and link the local earth rod to the earth bar in this board. The container should also be bonded to this board.

Appreciate the information - That is the route I will take. Thanks a million !

Appreciate the information - That is the route I will take. Thanks a million !

I just read my post back and saw that I had a few typos. I imagine you know what I meant but have corrected them anyway, see above.

Advertisement