Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal/home improvement Loan or mortgage???

• 10-07-2020 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Please delete thread Moderator. Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

OL16 wrote: »
    Can we just get a personal loan or a 'home improvement loan' to finish off the house?

Do I understand you correctly, you are going to ask someone to give you a loan to carry out improvements on a house that does not exist?

If so then, no. In fact it most likely would fall under the category for fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭OL16

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You seem angry, possibly sad. Reflect.

I'm neither angry nor sad. I asked you to clarify if I understood you correctly.

We can get a house built to a certain stage, because we have the site and the cash. That is our hope/intention/possible scenario.

I was inquiring, because I foolishly though, I could get a quick and helpful answer here; as to whether we would need a loan, including a home improvement loan or would we need to apply for a mortgage to finish the house. Is that simple enough?

And I pointed out to you that you can't get a home improvement loan on house to does not exist as it most likely would fall under the category of fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I’d price up the mortgage protection as it may not be as expensive as you think. A personal loan will usually be a max of 10 years. There’s a handy app called EZ calculators which has a simple loan calculator. This will easily allow you see the difference in payments between a mortgage (3% interest approx) and a personal loan (6-8% approx).

Banks can also give an exemption on life insurance on the mortgage, if you cannot get cover you’d be in a very strong position to apply for this due to the amount of equity.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭OL16

• Advertisement
Advertisement