Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeds

Options
  • 10-07-2020 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Hi. Newcomer to gardening.
    Planted my first bed a few months ago.
    It all looked good.
    But recently it's become infested with what i think are small weeds.
    (photo below)
    Is gardening always like this?
    Do I have to get down on my knees and pick each one out?
    Is there a way of preventing them from coming back in huge numbers?

gQrxmVyl.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, this is gardening. You need to get down with a tiny spoon and dig each...sorry, no of course you don't! On a dryish day use a hoe to just stir the surface of the soil so the roots are more or less pulled out and they will die when they are that tiny. You may have to go and pull larger ones individually - in that case its easier when the ground is damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Phew....relief!!! I can do that tomorrow as i think it's supposed to be dry.
    I don't have a hoe but would one of these do?

fK6GDFam.jpg

I can always get a hoe this weekend if it would be better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The hoe just keeps you off your knees. Anything to disturb the ground will work, including the aforementioned spoon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I used that prong tonight and got half the bed done. Worked a treat. Thanks for the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    I used that prong tonight and got half the bed done. Worked a treat. Thanks for the help guys.

Glad you enjoyed, you'll be doing it again in another few days!
    Now where's my weeding spoon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement