Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using macbook pro laptop with 2 monitors

Options
  • 11-07-2020 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Looking for some help. having a nightmare since workplace changed over to mac, most people would love having brand new macbook pro sent to them to work remotely, or maybe not. For me its a pain in the hole.

Was previously using an old dell desktop with 2 monitors, could navigate and drag docs across screens etc.

Can anyone tell me exactly what I would need in order to get my macbook hooked up to 2 monitors with ability to shift between both?

Monitors are HP and relatively new. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before venturing into PC World tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Assuming you have a new model MBP with 4x USB-C connectors, you can connect your monitors with simple 1-to-1 HDMI adapters like this one. This more expensive option allows you to plug one monitor as well as the USB-C charger. Last but not least, this one seems to be the recommended hub for two monitors.

I've linked the official Apple accessories, as these are definitely supported. However, cheaper options exist on other online stores, including single adapter for 2 monitors, like this one. But, if you check the comments, you will see that some people have reported issues with such devices, including one who said:
    "Not able to get extended displays on my Mac. Disappointing."

Personally, I've had various degrees of success with unsupported adapters and hubs. If you splurge on the official ones, they will definitely work. That might not be the case with the cheaper options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

JoyPad wrote: »
    Assuming you have a new model MBP with 4x USB-C connectors, you can connect your monitors with simple 1-to-1 HDMI adapters like this one. This more expensive option allows you to plug one monitor as well as the USB-C charger. Last but not least, this one seems to be the recommended hub for two monitors.

I've linked the official Apple accessories, as these are definitely supported. However, cheaper options exist on other online stores, including single adapter for 2 monitors, like this one. But, if you check the comments, you will see that some people have reported issues with such devices, including one who said:

Personally, I've had various degrees of success with unsupported adapters and hubs. If you splurge on the official ones, they will definitely work. That might not be the case with the cheaper options.

rather than just mirror the display of a mac screen (its macbook pro with 2 USB C connectors) id like to be able to connect 2 monitors and drag documents and cursor accross both as you can with windows

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

So you have the MacBook and the correct cables to attach them to the monitors is that right?

If you’re just unsure about the setup of it then go to Settings>Display on the Mac and you should be able to untick the box for screen mirroring and arrange the screens how you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Blanco100 wrote: »
    rather than just mirror the display of a mac screen (its macbook pro with 2 USB C connectors) id like to be able to connect 2 monitors and drag documents and cursor accross both as you can with windows

The Mac will work the exact same as your windows laptop. Just get compatible adaptors and it will work fine.

Have been using two attached monitors on a MacBook Pro for years.

KCross wrote: »
    The Mac will work the exact same as your windows laptop. Just get compatible adaptors and it will work fine.

Have been using two attached monitors on a MacBook Pro for years.

Can you tell me which specific compatible adapters? Would like to know what to look out for as going to pc world today

• Advertisement

Can you tell me which specific compatible adapters? Would like to know what to look out for as going to pc world today

Depends on the monitor cables you have

Are they both the same? Are they HDMI or DisplayPort?

Best bet is just go to PC World with the two cables and tell them you want an adaptor for those to connect to your MacBook Pro and they should be able to give you the right ones.

Depends on the monitor cables you have

Are they both the same? Are they HDMI or DisplayPort?

Best bet is just go to PC World with the two cables and tell them you want an adaptor for those to connect to your MacBook Pro and they should be able to give you the right ones.

I think one of them has DVI cable would that be compatible with mac?

I think one of them has DVI cable would that be compatible with mac?

Any cable will be fine as long as you get the appropriate adaptor for it but if you are unsure of the cables you have you wont know what to buy, so you need to bring the cables with you.

I have two monitors that support HDMI and/or DisplayPort cables so I have one monitor connected directly with a DisplayPort cable like this
    https://www.startech.com/ie/AV/display-and-video-adapters/usb-c-video-adapters/usb-c-displayport~CDP2DPMM6B

And another monitor connected with a HDMI cable using this..
    https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MUF82ZM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

Bloody mac, I curse the thing altogether.

only have 2 free USB C ports now aswell for these as have network key and power plug in the others.

One of these other ports will be taken up by another dell adapter allowing me plug in my wired mouse and ethernet cable.

Nature of the job needs 2 screens, mac is just a gimmick for them, id have been happier with a cheap laptop running windows to be honest.

Bloody mac, I curse the thing altogether.

only have 2 free USB C ports now aswell for these as have network key and power plug in the others.

One of these other ports will be taken up by another dell adapter allowing me plug in my wired mouse and ethernet cable.

Nature of the job needs 2 screens, mac is just a gimmick for them, id have been happier with a cheap laptop running windows to be honest.

The second adaptor I listed above has a standard USB port on it as well as the HDMI port so your mouse will probably go into that adaptor as well as the HDMI cable and it will also take the main power cable so that one adaptor will have 3 things connected but only taking one of the ports on your Mac.... so you should be fine.

• Advertisement

The second adaptor I listed above has a standard USB port on it as well as the HDMI port so your mouse will probably go into that adaptor as well as the HDMI cable and it will also take the main power cable so that one adaptor will have 3 things connected but only taking one of the ports on your Mac.... so you should be fine.

The way both monitors were hooked up on my desktop, one monitor has vga on both ends (straight into back of monitor and also into back of desktop). 2nd monitor is connected to dvi, with display port to dvi sl adapter going into back of desktop (slightly different end to it than HDMI)

Advertisement