Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Saorview Frequencies are changing' - Sunday Independent ad last Sunday (5th July)

• 11-07-2020 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Page 28 of last Sunday's Sunday Independent (5th July) on a page with various small ads had an ad from Co. Meath based Smart Sat Ireland TV which stated that Saorview Frequencies are changing - and says contact them so as to avoid disruption to your TV viewing (see attached).

I had though that whatever Saorview frequency changes in various areas that were due to take place (for now ) had already happened months ago, or am I missing something?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Saorview frequencies were fixed as stated above months ago. I think as also stated above this is a reference to Saorsat. If not it is 'midsummer madness.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Could be a long running ad also. Most papers do a deal with advertisers where the advertiser pays substantially less for a weekly ad as opposed to a one off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Antenna

An ad for them appeared again yesterday (Sunday Independent 12th of July) however with the ' Saorview Frequencies are changing' bit removed, otherwise ad was identical to previous week.
    Saorview frequencies were fixed as stated above months ago. I think as also stated above this is a reference to Saorsat.
    Saorsat is not considered part of the Saorview platform.

The advertiser's website says nothing about Saorsat (or doing Saorsat installs) - it says they do Freeview satellite installs. Co Meath and surrounding areas is not an area where anyone is likely to need Saorsat due to insurmountable terrestrial issues - everyone agrees it is very much a service of last resort considering the reduced number of channels (no VM1, 2, 3) and other issues with Saorsat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Best guess here is that it was simply an old copy of the ad, that they either stuck in to run repeating over a number of weeks, or they forgot to update ad.

• Advertisement

Antenna wrote: »
    An ad for them appeared again yesterday (Sunday Independent 12th of July) however with the ' Saorview Frequencies are changing' bit removed, otherwise ad was identical to previous week.

The advertiser's website says nothing about Saorsat (or doing Saorsat installs) - it says they do Freeview satellite installs. Co Meath and surrounding areas is not an area where anyone is likely to need Saorsat due to insurmountable terrestrial issues - everyone agrees it is very much a service of last resort considering the reduced number of channels (no VM1, 2, 3) and other issues with Saorsat.

Freeview satellite is an oxymoron as Freeview is the UK DTT service and has nothing to do with satellite. I wish people would stop making this error. FTA satellite would be a better and at least accurate term.

Antenna wrote: »

Freeview satellite is an oxymoron as Freeview is UK DTT and has nothing to do with satellite. FTA satellite would be a more accurate term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Antenna

Freeview satellite is an oxymoron as Freeview is UK DTT and has nothing to do with satellite. FTA satellite would be a more accurate term.

my mistake, apologies , website says 'Freesat', not 'Freeview' (though of course neither are official terms/services in ROI, so strictly speaking it should be 'FTA satellite' of UK TV channels)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Sadly this kind of thing is all too common with Irish companies. How many times have you gone to a website to see their Xmas 2016 special offers. Email or "contact us" is purely ornamental.
    /rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭crc

Noticed this week (in Meath) that my Saorview channels no longer work, so maybe the guy in the ad knew something. RTE etc. were definitely working last weekend and as of yesterday, not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

crc wrote: »
    Noticed this week (in Meath) that my Saorview channels no longer work, so maybe the guy in the ad knew something. RTE etc. were definitely working last weekend and as of yesterday, not.

Nothing changed since the old frequencies at the affected sites were switched off in March. It's just an ad. that overstayed it's welcome.

Your problem is most likely something at your own end.

Advertisement