Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Base Xbox One to Gaming PC

Options
  • 11-07-2020 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to make the move from my launch day Xbox One to a gaming PC.
    The main reason for this is there are some sim racing games that I'd prefer to play on PC, e.g. Assetto Corsa Competizione is so poor on console.
    I'll also play games such a COD:Warzone, so a mix of games really.

Fill in this to make it easier to spec a machine for you

1. What is your budget? €700-1000, lower end of my budget would be preferred.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Project Cars 2, COD: Warzone and other FPS

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080, No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard and Mouse

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Credit Card, preferably order everything from Amazon but open to suggestions.

9. When are you purchasing? Considering buying in the next week but all this talk of new cards being released soon is putting me off committing. However, I don't think this would affect my gaming needs at 1080p?

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? South Dublin City

This is the build I've come up with so far. The part I'm not sure of is GPU. Looking at games like Assetto Corsa Competizione, I need an 8gb card.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£149.65 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£79.70 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£61.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Kingston A2000 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£61.65 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£54.48 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card (£169.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: be quiet! System Power 9 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£58.67 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £706.09
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-11 11:27 BST+0100

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Looks good to me, although I don't know much about that motherboard good or bad. The only things that strike me as missing is a wifi card and I'd get a cheap cooler like a Hyper 212 as I found the box cooler kept ramping up the fan, but you can always try the box cooler and upgrade if it bothers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Since you have the budget, definitely buy a better GPU, e.g. RX 5600 XT. It's about 50% faster so well worth it.

You might also consider a better motherboard, e.g. B550; or a better CPU cooler, e.g. Arctic Freezer 34 / 34 CO

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Since you have the budget, definitely buy a better GPU, e.g. RX 5600 XT. It's about 50% faster so well worth it.

You might also consider a better motherboard, e.g. B550; or a better CPU cooler, e.g. Arctic Freezer 34 / 34 CO

What's the benefit of the better motherboard, haven't a clue about it.
    Ye, I was undecided on the GPU and think I could invest in a better one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

Get a cheap B450 motherboard for around 55gbp, an Evo 212 cpu cooler and spend the mobo savings on a better GPU such as mentioned previously.

There is absolutely no need to be wasting money on a B550 board at this budget. The 3600 will last a long time.

Don't forget to grab a WiFi card, preferably a PCI one, albeit some USB ones are nearly as good for sub 250Mb broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

I'm still finding it hard to decide on a GPU.

I've decided against the 5700XT because from what I've read it doesn't seem to handle Assetto Corsa Competizione very well.

I'm keep swapping my build between a 2060S, 2070 and 1660Ti.

Would the first two be overkill for a 1080p machine? Or a wise choice to future proof my machine at this resolution?

I think the 1660Ti would not last as long? The number of different GPUs is so overwhelming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If going Nvidia, I'd buy a 1660 Super now & upgrade when the next-gen cards are out in September/October.
    But know there's no such thing as "future-proof".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What's the benefit of the better motherboard, haven't a clue about it.
    Ye, I was undecided on the GPU and think I could invest in a better one.

Almost 0 for your build but KO likes to recommend them to everyone regardless of budget.

Advertisement