Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The challenge in “Supporting Irish businesses”

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

On the card machines especially contactless, most people dont realise that broadband is needed for these payments, many retailers in rural ireland do not have the service available to process these transactions, calling them all ‘tax evadors’ etc.. is insane.

Inside cities yeah ill agree but many simply cannot process these transactions due to poor connectivity

Most of these card services can operate on a mobile data as well. You don't need broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Darc19 wrote: »
    Will everyone fuc off with the "poor oap" and "vulnerable" sh1te

The primary drop in letter volume was in utility bills and statements - all are online.

The letter post was being subsidized by other services which was stupid and they changed that.

Well maybe you couldnt care less about elderly people but some of us here have elderly parents and dont like seeing them being hit with massive increases. You should get a grip and realise there are thousands of OAPs in this country on the bread line, just because you're alright doesnt mean everyone else is.

An post now have 40% of the consumer parcel delivery market in Ireland and have gone from loss making to profitable.

BTW, the cost of postage here is similar to other countries and in many cases cheaper.

Youre saying that like its some kind of achievement when its actually a massive failure. An Post used to have 100% of the parcel market till deregulation came in. They were best positioned to maintain market dominance but instead blew the whole market by allowing companies like Nighline and DPD to run rings around them. Youre saying they've got 40% of the market but the truth is they've lost 60% of the parcel market through their own incompetence. Its only in the last couple of years they've finally got their sh1t together but not before they spent years sitting back and literally doing nothing as private companies stole their revenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Muahahaha wrote:
    Youre saying that like its some kind of achievement when its actually a massive failure. An Post used to have 100% of the parcel market till deregulation came in. They were best positioned to maintain market dominance but instead blew the whole market by allowing companies like Nighline and DPD to run rings around them. Youre saying they've got 40% of the market but the truth is they've lost 60% of the parcel market through their own incompetence. Its only in the last couple of years they've finally got their sh1t together but not before they spent years sitting back and literally doing nothing as private companies stole their revenues.

The wealth created trickles down anyway, so I wouldn't be worrying too much about it, I do hope I get my trickle down cheque soon though, my wish list is sizable now

Geuze wrote: »
    Pint of weak 2.8% beer in Manchester suburbs in 2019 = GBP 1.34

http://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.com/2019/09/what-times-mr-smith-coming.html

VAT in UK = 20%, it's 23% here, fairly close.

Excise duty on beer is similar in UK and Irl, can be higher in UK depending on exchange rate.

Yet pints can be got for less than 2 euro in 2019.

I was in Manchester the end of February and the disparity in prices was eye opening. Pint of Boddingtons £2.50. Thats less than 3 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

irishgeo wrote: »
    Most of these card services can operate on a mobile data as well. You don't need broadband.

I think you'll find a massive overlap between places that have very little mobile signal and places without broadband.

I know of atleast 2 petrol stations in rural Ireland who's card machine cannot take contactless payment because they are dialup models because thats all that works there.

• Advertisement

My local shop in Dublin has one that dials and it’s no issue at all.

My local shop in Dublin has one that dials and it’s no issue at all.

as far as I was aware the contactless terminals had to be IP , this could vary by provider but that seems to be the consensus from BOI payments and elavon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

I think you'll find a massive overlap between places that have very little mobile signal and places without broadband.

I know of atleast 2 petrol stations in rural Ireland who's card machine cannot take contactless payment because they are dialup models because thats all that works there.

I don’t understand this. I’ve used credit cards in tiny, rural gas stations in the middle of the desert in Australia and the USA. Places hundreds of miles from the interstate highway where you’re lucky to get a phone signal. If businesses that isolated can accept cards, how comes Irish ones can’t? Ireland is not that big. The entire island should be covered in high speed broadband but the Irish are too ready to settle for less. Shrugs the shoulders, “it can’t be done”, with no further investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I was in Manchester the end of February and the disparity in prices was eye opening. Pint of Boddingtons £2.50. Thats less than 3 euro.

You can get cheap pints pretty easily if you're not fussy about where you drink, but on average it's about the same as here.

coinop wrote: »
    I don’t understand this. I’ve used credit cards in tiny, rural gas stations in the middle of the desert in Australia and the USA. Places hundreds of miles from the interstate highway where you’re lucky to get a phone signal. If businesses that isolated can accept cards, how comes Irish ones can’t? Ireland is not that big. The entire island should be covered in high speed broadband but the Irish are too ready to settle for less. Shrugs the shoulders, “it can’t be done”, with no further investigation.

'New' countries often without the limitations Ireland has had, many do not accept debit cards and reconcile transactions later on credit cards (manual validation) or others will have phone lines , sometimes by radio link or in the case of the US CDMA mobile networks we never had.

Theres surprisingly little bandwidth required to run a card terminal but due to planning objections, old farts not giving right of way for cables, geographic concerns (in a valley etc..) we have a worse infrastructure than many of those.

• Advertisement
Advertisement