Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SIRO ONT compatible with power over ethernet (PoE)

• 11-07-2020 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Weird problem here. Our recently built semi-D was *not* set up for Fibre (despite it being in the area), only for Virgin. So there is coax everywhere, and some Cat 6. The tidiest solution would be to have the ONT in the Comms box, just below the electricity box, but obviously no power there. Wondering if the ONT is compatible with PoE, in which case we could send electricity back along the Cat 6 from the networking cabinet inside the house.

Anyone know if this is possible? Would prefer not to have to run the fibre down the side of the house, and drill through the wall (which is what everyone else has done so far).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You could convert at both ends but the question is will SIRO install there? OpenEir won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 limez

Good idea. I can but ask. I understand it's taking them up to an hour to drill through the exterior wall, so that might sway their decision!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

limez wrote: »
    Good idea. I can but ask. I understand it's taking them up to an hour to drill through the exterior wall, so that might sway their decision!

FWIW I live in a detached house ... and I needed to have the SIRO enter my house at the exact opposite of the ESB electricity box.
    That was no problemo ... the lads got the fibre cable into the ESB box and routed it all the way around my house on the outside before drilling through the wall and installing the ONT exactly where I wanted it :P
    The cable routing took ~30 mins and the drilling through the wall itself less than a few mins .... :D

Hope this helps,
    Stone

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If the Comms box you refer to is the external white plastic covered thing below the ESB meter box, then in my experience, no. When Actavo were out installing my SIRO service, I said they could just go into that comms box and straight through (hole already there too) but they said they weren't allowed so drilled their own hole a foot away, with a grey external box screwed over it.

byte wrote: »
    If the Comms box you refer to is the external white plastic covered thing below the ESB meter box, then in my experience, no. When Actavo were out installing my SIRO service, I said they could just go into that comms box and straight through (hole already there too) but they said they weren't allowed so drilled their own hole a foot away, with a grey external box screwed over it.

Yeah precisely that thing. There's already a Cat 6 cable running from there to the utility (about 8m away), where all the TV and Network cables in the house terminate, so we have a 'home server box' there, which is not on an external wall. So ideally, we'd have the ONT outside running through the Cat 6 to there. Anyway, I guess we'll see how we go...

Thanks for the replies everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

limez wrote: »
    . I understand it's taking them up to an hour to drill through the exterior wall, so that might sway their decision!
    I would say 5 minutes.

alec76 wrote: »
    I would say 5 minutes.

That estimate does seem too long, but comes from other people in the estate with presumably the same wall construction and recent fibre installs. But it is surprising, as it isn't block-built. Whatever it is, it was pretty painful drilling (admittedly not with a hammer drill)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Any SDS+ will drill it in few minutes.
    They had to drill 2 feet of pure stone ( old cottage), no problem whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

How did it go in the end?

Advertisement