Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Dundalk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

can you tell me where I can get 20 square meters of flooring for 40 euro. cheapest 18mm osb (standard loft board) I can find is about 10 per square meter.
    I getting my 18 chipboard for 2 euros per square mtr .

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

I am not looking for fruitful income,I looking for house in one hand and money in another in 5 years time not paying 2K rent in Dublin.If I will not rent this house I can sell it for same money and get another 100K when In Dublin I will lose 124K in another 5 years.

The main idea is convert money from losing to rent in Dublin to own house and money to Dundalk

The option 2 use this house as financial support for next project.

The fact is Saved 100K and lost 124 K in Dublin in 5 years
    Or invest saved 100 K in Dundalk and get another 100K saved and get house ! in 5 years time

You really need to get in touch with the agent to get a look inside this house before you put any more thought into this idea. It could be an absolute lemon that's been abandoned for years or it could be a reasonably easy renovation. There's only one way to find out.

Report back when you have done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

OP have you actually been in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'd go a few miles further and buy in newry. Landlords actually have rights in the UK unlike here. More bang for your buck in newry but I'd imagine rents would be lower too.

Guys,somebody cant imagine house without solid wood floors and jakuzi or brand new stylish kitchen with brand new apliances,somebody will happy about roof and walls.Somebody want pay nothing and get everything somebody will happy get just house.We all are different and have different understanding about living conditions.

As I said before ,having 100k in Dublin you pay rent 5 years and getting minus 124 K
    Buying house in Dundalk you have 100K in 5 years and house on top.

To be honest,I will spend in house 4 hours before sleep,6 hours in bed 5 days per week
    Saturday and Sunday I could spend visiting friends,family,walks in mountains or make house nicer for living/cleaning/cooking/washing/painting

The one real problem is kids,they will lose friends in Dublin,have problems making new in Dundalk and will have do this again coming back to Dublin .That gonna be only one problem I see.If no kids then no problem at all.

• Advertisement

Guys,somebody cant imagine house without solid wood floors and jakuzi or brand new stylish kitchen with brand new apliances,somebody will happy about roof and walls.Somebody want pay nothing and get everything somebody will happy get just house.We all are different and have different understanding about living conditions.

As I said before ,having 100k in Dublin you pay rent 5 years and getting minus 124 K
    Buying house in Dundalk you have 100K in 5 years and house on top.

To be honest,I will spend in house 4 hours before sleep,6 hours in bed 5 days per week
    Saturday and Sunday I could spend visiting friends,family,walks in mountains or make house nicer for living/cleaning/cooking/washing/painting

The one real problem is kids,they will lose friends in Dublin,have problems making new in Dundalk and will have do this again coming back to Dublin .That gonna be only one problem I see.If no kids then no problem at all.

You really need to get a look inside the house. This is what you get in Dundalk for €100k:

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-25-linenhall-street-dundalk-co-louth/1516777

https://www.mcardleauctioneers.com/new-products/25-linenhall-street-dundalk-co-louth

No amount of paint or chipboard will make something like liveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭harvindhillon

Crazy to think it's ok to rent a slum out to desperate people. More so to suggest your own kids living in such conditions

You really need to get a look inside the house. This is what you get in Dundalk for €100k:

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-25-linenhall-street-dundalk-co-louth/1516777

https://www.mcardleauctioneers.com/new-products/25-linenhall-street-dundalk-co-louth

No amount of paint or chipboard will make something like liveable.

Is that Dublin PAs started worry about ? That people from Dublin will start running to surrounding areas because in Dublin they getting nothing when around they getting something !?Dublin property and rents are so overpriced that people paying same amount of rent as in Dublin starting get houses for free around Dublin !?

Not good example anyway,to far from Paypal/DKIT.Also this property was on sale for 65K just couple years ago by another PA.This house for sale as far I remeber is about 5 years.They will never get 100K for it same as they did not get 65

You mised that one ,only 65K

https://www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-auction/dundalk/carnroe-rices-bridge-dundalk-louth-2612564/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭janedoe007

https://brggibsondublinauctions.eigonlineauctions.com/lot/details/23275
    this 1 is in good condition if you can get it for the €65000 advertised

Crazy to think it's ok to rent a slum out to desperate people. More so to suggest your own kids living in such conditions
    Many people who pay rents in Dublin does not have better life either.

• Advertisement

janedoe007 wrote: »
    Too far from PayPal /DKIT,the price will be same as for the house.Appartment life is not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AS you seem set on 100k properties, how about you pick something more finished?

https://www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-sale/dundalk/20-williamsons-place-dundalk-louth-2493871/ would be okay if you don't plan on getting a car.

https://www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-sale/dundalk/34-father-murray-park-dundalk-louth-2580807/ if you have a car. Unlike the one you posted, this one has so little damage, they'll post pictures of it.
    It's when the EA doesn't post pictures that you know it's bad.

https://www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-sale/dundalk/97-chapel-street-dundalk-louth-2577062/
    Possible issue with parking, and a few feet of a back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not missed; ignored. You implied that you wanted to be near the train station.

the_syco wrote: »
    AS you seem set on 100k properties, how about you pick something more finished?

https://www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-sale/dundalk/20-williamsons-place-dundalk-louth-2493871/ would be okay if you don't plan on getting a car.

https://www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-sale/dundalk/34-father-murray-park-dundalk-louth-2580807/ if you have a car. Unlike the one you posted, this one has so little damage, they'll post pictures of it.
    It's when the EA doesn't post pictures that you know it's bad.

https://www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-sale/dundalk/97-chapel-street-dundalk-louth-2577062/
    Possible issue with parking, and a few feet of a back garden.
    The crack on corner on last link looks worse,I would not recommend this house to anybody same as all old houses newly plastered/painted.Dampnes on internal wall are also not great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Much more pleasant places to live than Dundalk. You keep banging on about money not being everything, but neither is everything being cheap. Just because somewhere and something is cheap doesn’t mean you should put roots down there. There’s a reason for it

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Much more pleasant places to live than Dundalk. You keep banging on about money not being everything, but neither is everything being cheap. Just because somewhere and something is cheap doesn’t mean you should put roots down there. There’s a reason for it

I keep banging about everything.

The first thing is better quality life I could run on street without breading smoke from exhausts like in Dublin city
    I could cycling with less risk on great area than in Dublin
    Great coast line,plenty forests/mountain parks
    Own house less stress because nobody will throw me out if I will not pay rent

Money side,money will back in 5 years time with house and car on top
    Renting potential due with PayPal/Ebay/DKIT at walking distance.Well,I dont know how long PayPal/Ebay will be there but it is still many factories around.

You will not get same price ant facilities in Drogheda,Navan,Ardee.

Nothing wrong with it except that I will not have time chating and make selfies or burn time in gym because I will have do litle bit work around My House.Might be even I will stop drink alcohol because I will have something for to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

The first thing is better quality life I could run on street without breading smoke from exhausts like in Dublin city

Renting potential due with PayPal/Ebay/DKIT at walking distance.Well,I dont know how long PayPal/Ebay will be there but it is still many factories around.

Nothing wrong with it except that I will not have time chating and make selfies or burn time in gym because I will have do litle bit work around My House.Might be even I will stop drink alcohol because I will have something for to do.

Cool story. Thanks for update on Dundalk for the 15373840th time there.

Still doesn’t change the fact it’s a kip and you’re not wise in the head if you’re moving your children into that cesspit.

I live in Dublin at the moment and there’s a plethora of beautiful parks that are within less than 20 mins drive of me in all directions. I can even walk to them. The sea and coast is less than 25 mins.

I’ve lived in mid ulster for years also and it has everything you wish above, more rural but a lot more pleasant than Dundalk, and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

None of this addresses the fact that you're looking to buy "a pig in a poke" and live in it without serious renovations.

We can only guess the condition of it but I've seen two houses (one a really bad tenant and one a former growhouse) that needed total rewiring, new heating and sewage systems put in as well as new internal walls, ceilings etc and that's before anything cosmetic or even a kitchen. Both of those homes had multiple photos on the sales ad. The lack of even a single internal photo on the ad for the property you want is not just a red flag but one that has flashing lights and a siren!!

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Cool story. Thanks for update on Dundalk for the 15373840th time there.

Still doesn’t change the fact it’s a kip and you’re not wise in the head if you’re moving your children into that cesspit.

I live in Dublin at the moment and there’s a plethora of beautiful parks that are within less than 20 mins drive of me in all directions. I can even walk to them. The sea and coast is less than 25 mins.

I’ve lived in mid ulster for years also and it has everything you wish above, more rural but a lot more pleasant than Dundalk, and cheaper.
    Well,depends what you want from your property.If we mentioned kids the play schools in Dundalk are cheaper and you can find place there easier than in Dublin.

We all have own look at same things what make us different.The more we are different in the more interesting world we live.

Somebody cant imagine life without Sonos on shelve or Iphone in hand,somebody does not give a ,..about it.But spend best days of life working for land lord believe me is not great choice,does not matter where and how you live.

If rents would be normal as in Germany for example why not ? But when land lord getting hungry week by week and cost of living starting make stres which make my life shorter ,then I have do something to survive and make it different way than other pre programed people do.

I actually dont use smart phone at all.My Nokia made in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

OP, I cant see it anywhere but did you say youve been insode the house or not?
    Are you sure its not your house already :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭sibersha

janedoe007 wrote: »

Just an FYI, this property is directly across the road from the original property posted by the OP

It is used as student accommodation and during the summer it is occupied by fruit pickers from Bulgaria etc

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

Why would anyone ever move to Dundalk? The place is an absolute dump. Full of knackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Duvetdays wrote: »
    People are trying to help you by telling you how much it could potentially cost just to make the place liveable and your answer is you don’t care that you’ll be only there 5 years. You might not care but it can’t be rented out with no central heating or dangerous electrics. So after 5 years it’ll go back on the market at a similar price as there’s nothing done to it or you spend a considerable amount of money to bring it up to a legal rentable condition. There’s also tax implications of being a landlord, others will advise of the percentage. So if you rent it out for say €800 a month that 800 doesn’t go into your pocket or pay off your Dublin mortgage it’ll be a lot less then that after the tax man has his cut.

14 k a year tax free under the rent a room scheme
    Its landlords like the OP that give landlords a bad name

Is that Dublin PAs started worry about ? That people from Dublin will start running to surrounding areas because in Dublin they getting nothing when around they getting something !?Dublin property and rents are so overpriced that people paying same amount of rent as in Dublin starting get houses for free around Dublin !?

Not good example anyway,to far from Paypal/DKIT.Also this property was on sale for 65K just couple years ago by another PA.This house for sale as far I remeber is about 5 years.They will never get 100K for it same as they did not get 65

You mised that one ,only 65K

https://www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-auction/dundalk/carnroe-rices-bridge-dundalk-louth-2612564/

I'm not really sure what you are on about but I'm just trying to make the point that without seeing the inside of the house you are thinking of buying you have no idea if it can be fixed up to a liveable standard with cans of paint and laminate flooring as you have suggested.

Unsafe electrics and plumbing cannot be fixed by painting them.
    Structural defects cannot be fixed by painting them.
    Mould and damp cannot be fixed by painting it.
    Inadequate heating systems cannot be improved by painting it.
    There is a huge list of things that could be wrong with this property that might not be cheap to fix.

Have you been in touch with the agent to ask for a viewing or pictures of the inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I getting my 18 chipboard for 2 euros per square mtr .

I get the impression you are currently not in Ireland and a lot of info is second hand. For example, you might find your material costings are a bit off when you arrive. Or your getting them off the back of a truck. And renters themselves have far more rights then you think. Taxation is a killer too.

Its rare for anybody to get their money back from a "project" property in Ireland. There are property's around the country that frequently sell for less then the build cost. If the end goal is 5 years, commute to Dublin, rent a room and sell the property, then the ideal property is cheap and needs close to zero work done.

And as others have said multiple times, no pictures means its probably derelict. The way our weather is, houses unlived in for a few years go downhill fast through damp from condensation cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I get the impression you are currently not in Ireland and a lot of info is second hand. For example, you might find your material costings are a bit off when you arrive. Or your getting them off the back of a truck. And renters themselves have far more rights then you think. Taxation is a killer too.

Its rare for anybody to get their money back from a "project" property in Ireland. There are property's around the country that frequently sell for less then the build cost. If the end goal is 5 years, commute to Dublin, rent a room and sell the property, then the ideal property is cheap and needs close to zero work done.

And as others have said multiple times, no pictures means its probably derelict. The way our weather is, houses unlived in for a few years go downhill fast through damp from condensation cycles.

1+ , a hole in the roof and some rotted wooden joists in the attic and first floor and thats a 100k renovation project right there. Not to mention the need for RECI certified electricians etc.. so the OP couldn't counteract the complete labour cost anyway.

I'm not really sure what you are on about but I'm just trying to make the point that without seeing the inside of the house you are thinking of buying you have no idea if it can be fixed up to a liveable standard with cans of paint and laminate flooring as you have suggested.

Unsafe electrics and plumbing cannot be fixed by painting them.
    Structural defects cannot be fixed by painting them.
    Mould and damp cannot be fixed by painting it.
    Inadequate heating systems cannot be improved by painting it.
    There is a huge list of things that could be wrong with this property that might not be cheap to fix.

Sad part is you can "can" do up a house and sell it, fixing next to nothing. You need a good rube and bad surveyor at the end of it but its doable.

A end of Terrance add on house near me(Dublin)that had extreme foundation issues, just redid the render, patched the plaster inside, painted both and then sold it. The pretty extreme cracking is now coming back through the new render as the outside wall continues to split less then a year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

This is a very strange thread, OP asks for advice and just argues with everyone that provides it.

Sad part is you can "can" do up a house and sell it, fixing next to nothing. You need a good rube and bad surveyor at the end of it but its doable.

A end of Terrance add on house near me(Dublin)that had extreme foundation issues, just redid the render, patched the plaster inside, painted both and then sold it. The pretty extreme cracking is now coming back through the new render as the outside wall continues to split less then a year later.

Yes it's possible to do a botch job on it and make it look alright for a while depending on the current condition of the house but the OP wants to live in it for 5 years and then sell it so he needs to do it right or it'll cost him more in the long run.

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    This is a very strange thread, OP asks for advice and just argues with everyone that provides it.

You can find a load of threads like this, in this forum. They come up with a plan to make money via the property market by buying super cheap, or build a shed in the back of a garden, or a tiny home and so on. When the costs they ignored came up, the laws they ignored, the risks they ignored or just the general ignorance of the situation in Ireland come up, they get annoyed that their world view is challenged and nobody can see how great their plan is.

In this case, the OP really just wants to operate a slum style operation. I know a few slum landlords, or did, and they made their money through taking on insane levels of debt in the 90's buying properties and have those properties appreciate in value multiples over what they were bought at. Most have sold up, due to actual enforcement of rental standards and institutions like the RTB being brought in. They never made much money from the rental income to begin with, it just kept the whole thing ticking over paying interest. These guys were picking up giant redbrick Georgian houses and renting out 4 beds to a room in a 8-10 room house or converting large rooms into bedsits and building giant illegal extension in the back gardens. I only ever met the successful ones, so I assume anything besides that just failed. That situation will never happen on some 2 bed wreck of a house in Drogehda.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement