Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Dundalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

I was putting floor on attic creating extra storage room in house.20 square mtrs cost me 3 hours work and 40 euros for materials.The most common problem that many people does not know how much jobs cost and agree overpay thousands for couple extra shelves and microwave on it which will cost 100 euros just because does not want get eyes off from chatting on Iphone.

More likely seller getting ready for recession and try get rid of this house asap.

Not being smart here but you seem to exist in a parallel universe if you think this is the case
    The house is more than likely a hovel that needs EVERYTHING done to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

You can find a load of threads like this, in this forum. They come up with a plan to make money via the property market by buying super cheap, or build a shed in the back of a garden, or a tiny home and so on. When the costs they ignored came up, the laws they ignored, the risks they ignored or just the general ignorance of the situation in Ireland come up, they get annoyed that their world view is challenged and nobody can see how great their plan is.

In this case, the OP really just wants to operate a slum style operation. I know a few slum landlords, or did, and they made their money through taking on insane levels of debt in the 90's buying properties and have those properties appreciate in value multiples over what they were bought at. Most have sold up, due to actual enforcement of rental standards and institutions like the RTB being brought in. They never made much money from the rental income to begin with, it just kept the whole thing ticking over paying interest. These guys were picking up giant redbrick Georgian houses and renting out 4 beds to a room in a 8-10 room house or converting large rooms into bedsits and building giant illegal extension in the back gardens. I only ever met the successful ones, so I assume anything besides that just failed. That situation will never happen on some 2 bed wreck of a house in Drogehda.

Lol, guess it is more common than I thought. And yea, taking on a load of debt to become a career landlord seems a bit mad to me.

The crack on corner on last link looks worse,I would not recommend this house to anybody same as all old houses newly plastered/painted.Dampnes on internal wall are also not great.
    And you expect the inside of the one you are interested in to be better :):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

I get the impression you are currently not in Ireland and a lot of info is second hand. For example, you might find your material costings are a bit off when you arrive. Or your getting them off the back of a truck. And renters themselves have far more rights then you think.

No problem at all

https://www.adverts.ie/other-building-materials/chipboard-mdf-panels-sheets-120-x-80cm/17465826

Slightly above 2 euros per square mtr,if you you want you sometimes can get for free.
    Got laminat flooring from B&Q while ago,5 euros per square mtr

Chipboard plus laminat floor just around 8 euros including underlay what is less than plain OSB board at 10 per square mtr

Simple calculations and well spent time.

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You think you're going to renovate that place to a habitable standard with some random off cuts of varying types of timber?

Wasting your money buying that house. You may as well sleep outside. If cost if your big motivator, it'd be a lot more cost effective and value for money to buy a tent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

awec wrote: »
    You think you're going to renovate that place to a habitable standard with some random off cuts of varying types of timber?

Wasting your money buying that house. You may as well sleep outside. If cost if your big motivator, it'd be a lot more cost effective and value for money to buy a tent.

Don't forget he's going to paint it too...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No problem at all

https://www.adverts.ie/other-building-materials/chipboard-mdf-panels-sheets-120-x-80cm/17465826

Slightly above 2 euros per square mtr,if you you want you sometimes can get for free.
    Got laminat flooring from B&Q while ago,5 euros per square mtr

Chipboard plus laminat floor just around 8 euros including underlay what is less than plain OSB board at 10 per square mtr

Simple calculations and well spent time.

I bought MDF recently- and the price being quoted in your advertisement is a fraction of the normal cost of MDF (even allowing for the fact that they are small pieces of off-cuts).

Here is the trade price: http://www.woodworkers.ie/prices/p_sheet_mdf.shtml

awec wrote: »

I am professional carpenter with 30 years of experience in standard/timber frame building and cabinet making.I know prices very well same as how build/renovate houses.I have no problem insulate/renovate this house for pennies making it dream house inside.I getting various timber for free,same as off cuts,also I know were get materials from left over for pennies or for free.When I do new floors in some houses I could remove old one which is on click one and put it in my house for free.

Perfect experience in painting too.I could paint MDF by hand brush making it looks like solid wood.Sadly I cant upload photos from my PC.

Lucky uploaded one.Made by me from MDF.Bend bar panel routered by hands.

I am professional carpenter with 30 years of experience in standard/timber frame building and cabinet making.I know prices very well same as how build/renovate houses.I have no problem insulate/renovate this house for pennies making it dream house inside.I getting various timber for free,same as off cuts,also I know were get materials from left over for pennies or for free.When I do new floors in some houses I could remove old one which is on click one and put it in my house for free.

Perfect experience in painting too.I could paint MDF by hand brush making it looks like solid wood.Sadly I cant upload photos from my PC.

Have you been in touch with the agent for a viewing or to get pictures of the inside to see if these skills and materials will be sufficient to renovate the house?

Have you been in touch with the agent for a viewing or to get pictures of the inside to see if these skills and materials will be sufficient to renovate the house?
    I know how this houses built and I brought many of them to life already.No,I was not in touch with agent,I waiting for more realistic prices and looking around.

• Advertisement

i assume you are also a qualified and registered electrician
    I assume you are also a qualfied plumber who is a RGI
    I assume you are a qualified roofer
    Because you will need to be to get that property up to standard
    Either that or you are a qualified troll

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I know how this houses built and I brought many of them to life already.No,I was not in touch with agent,I waiting for more realistic prices and looking around.

Id love to see some pictures when you get inside. Post them here

JimmyVik wrote: »

He cant
    he has an old Nokia phone
    Saving his money for a house

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What price do you put on your time? How much time is this all going to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you want to invest your time into it and buy second hand fair enough, but I stand by what I said before. If the estate agent isn't bothered taking any inside pictures, assume its a complete gut job and the utilities are disconnected. That means a complete rewire with Electrician sign off, plumbing etc. And probably most of the internal wood is gone or going due to damp and rot. It's not livable in to begin with, its attached to another dwelling so the noise you can make is limited in your free time and overall, it would be worth investing the money into something else. Or having looked at the market it the area, drop another 30-40k off the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

OP, if you are buying a terraced house with a bad BER always buy mid terrace. You can thermoboard and skim the external walls of the bedrooms and the living room, Materials will cost about 250-300 for normal 2 bed. End of terrace normally has to be wrapped and is much, much more expensive. The last one I did insulation as above, new concrete floor in living room, plaster ceilings, gas central heating, kitchen units, decorate throughout inside and out, furniture, rewiring and electrical cert, white goods, patio area at back and remove brambles bushes etc from garden and plant lawn cost after grants 15K. The bathroom was brand new when I bought.

I recommend looking for a mass concrete council house from the 30s-50s they are a known standard.Those street front terraces are often built of limestone which can be a devil for damp, harder to get the house warm and nightmare to core etc.

OP, if you are buying a terraced house with a bad BER always buy mid terrace. You can thermoboard and skim the external walls of the bedrooms and the living room, Materials will cost about 250-300 for normal 2 bed. End of terrace normally has to be wrapped and is much, much more expensive. The last one I did insulation as above, new concrete floor in living room, plaster ceilings, gas central heating, kitchen units, decorate throughout inside and out, furniture, rewiring and electrical cert, white goods, patio area at back and remove brambles bushes etc from garden and plant lawn cost after grants 15K. The bathroom was brand new when I bought.

I recommend looking for a mass concrete council house from the 30s-50s they are a known standard.Those street front terraces are often built of limestone which can be a devil for damp, harder to get the house warm and nightmare to core etc.
    Thats an exceptionally low cost unless you were able to do all the work yourself and certify at least one of the electrics /plumbing

brisan wrote: »
    Thats an exceptionally low cost unless you were able to do all the work yourself and certify at least one of the electrics /plumbing

The electrics were mostly OK, I got a snagging list from my RECI spark and had a friend of mine do the work, earthing the gas boiler and was the biggest part of it, then the RECI guy came around done an inspection and signed off on the cert. I had my plumber swing the rads and run the piping back to where the boiler was going and the RGI fitted it an a couple of hours. That was the most expensive thing to do and I got €800 back I think from the SEAI. I got lucky on a couple of things, I went to buy a cooker hood and my card wouldn't work, called to a friend on the way home he was clearing out a shed and he said you don't know anybody that needs a cooker hood. The Council were clearing out the garden next door and I gave the digger driver a drink to do mine as well. I had a carpenter and a plasterer on an hourly rate cash in hand and they had the insulation done in a day and a half. Everybody who worked on the job were friends going back decades except for the RGI.

The electrics were mostly OK, I got a snagging list from my RECI spark and had a friend of mine do the work, earthing the gas boiler and was the biggest part of it, then the RECI guy came around done an inspection and signed off on the cert. I had my plumber swing the rads and run the piping back to where the boiler was going and the RGI fitted it an a couple of hours. That was the most expensive thing to do and I got €800 back I think from the SEAI. I got lucky on a couple of things, I went to buy a cooker hood and my card wouldn't work, called to a friend on the way home he was clearing out a shed and he said you don't know anybody that needs a cooker hood. The Council were clearing out the garden next door and I gave the digger driver a drink to do mine as well. I had a carpenter and a plasterer on an hourly rate cash in hand and they had the insulation done in a day and a half. Everybody who worked on the job were friends going back decades except for the RGI.
    Thats the way we ( my brothers and I) worked when flipping properties
    I am a spark ,brothers are carpenter and plumber
    Most of my long term mates are tradesmen and mates rates for cash in hand.
    Most are cash rich in their jobs and will gladly give receipts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

OP, the asking price is essentially for the site by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

The BER is not a problem on North,the oil prices on boarder is 35 cents per ltr when in Dublin is 70.

The oil could be free, it's still going to be difficult to retain heat.

I moved into an E2 at the start of this year and during Feb/Mar etc I had the heating on all day, didn't make much of a difference to be honest.
    Imagine sitting in your back garden with a tall patio heater. It's fine when you're under the heater but the moment you move one or two meters away, it's going to be cold.

Same with that level of BER. You're okay beside a radiator, move away and all the heat is no where to be found.

You have no idea what condition the inside of this house is in so you can't say that you have bought many of them.

What sort of realistic prices are you waiting for?

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the OP is picturing the inside of this house as looking a bit dated, maybe some naff wallpaper, mouldy carpets and a kitchen from the 60s.

Next door seems to be in good condition if it's anything to go by:

https://www.blueskyproperty.ie/for-sale/35-ladywell-terrace-dundalk-co-louth

But at 53 square meters in overall floor space it is absolutely tiny for a 2 bedroom house. It definitely wouldn't be somewhere I'd want to live with kids or lodgers.

Naos wrote: »
    The oil could be free, it's still going to be difficult to retain heat.

I moved into an E2 at the start of this year and during Feb/Mar etc I had the heating on all day, didn't make much of a difference to be honest.
    Imagine sitting in your back garden with a tall patio heater. It's fine when you're under the heater but the moment you move one or two meters away, it's going to be cold.

Same with that level of BER. You're okay beside a radiator, move away and all the heat is no where to be found.

My parents is an E2 house. 3 bed detached with granny flat. 1000 liters of oil is more than enough to keep it toasty all year, and they like the house warm. Warmer than I can handle actually.

We probably buy them 1000 liters every 13-14 months on average.

They had got the BER and had applied for the grant to upgrade the insulation etc to increase the BER several years ago but decided not to go ahead with it. Partly because we were buying the oil :) and partly because the amount of money they would have to spend (even with the grant) was frightening, to save a couple of hundred per year.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    The one I got in,there was no even old carpet or stairs.I left some behind,.I think it cost me about 350 for materials,I forgot final price.

Ush1 wrote: »
    What price do you put on your time? How much time is this all going to take?
    I could make kitchen for 5K for wich you will buy for 20K taking loan which you will pay about 5 years.The advantage to be a carpenter is pay less for things which you will buy taking loans.When you will start pay loan I will relax on beach in Spain for your 20K.Yes,you earn more but you have spend more when I earn less and spend nothing.I was working with great guy who is economist by education,5 years in high school and 2 years as bank clerk selling mortgages.He is plasterer now and has a lot more than his collegues.Actually he calculated this idea buy house .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I love this thread.

The one I got in,there was no even old carpet or stairs.I left some behind,.I think it cost me about 350 for materials,I forgot final price.

I mean the house in the OP.
    Any pics of the inside?
    Have you bought and renovated many houses yourself before?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be bothered to much by there being no pics of the interior old fashioned decor etc can reduce the number of viewings and the possibilities of refurbish meant are best seen on a viewing. There are a number of similar properties on Daft in Dundalk ATM with interior shots that show OK to good conditions with one looking ready to move into. Speculating about the interior is pointless you just have to go and look.

OP there is one flaw in your plans, the last part where you rent it at the end. Landlording has become a mugs game and it's looking to become a lot muggier. You only keep 25% of the rent after tax, USC, letting costs and repairs and maintenance. That said 5 years will tell a lot. The proposed Right to Housing Referendum could end up nationalising the entire national rental housing stock at a stroke.

Since you are in the game and get mates rates, I advise you buy again after 5 years and unload the first one. Anybody getting into but to let now wants their head examined.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement