Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra low volume output

Options
  • 11-07-2020 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

I've been using a headset with it's own USB soundcard since Jan, when I built my PC. Recently I wanted to get a better headset as the USB soundcard with my old headset was only 16 bit depth and quite noisy for some things.

Anyways, I bought a new set that had two 3.5mm jacks for headset + mic but I've found that there was no sound initially. After a lot of fiddling with drivers (using default and different Realtek ones), Windows settings, trying the front jack vs the back, the best I can do is get a very noisy low signal to just about hear some sound from the Windows test jingle.

I can't really hear any spotify/browser sounds at all or else they're just not loud enough but it is strange.

It's a Realtek AC892 chip in a MSI B450 Tomahawk mobo. I have a feeling it's just busted but it should have been brand new. I can't seem to get any decent sound out but it is emitting something. I thought this might be a line level thing but I don't see any configuration I can do. The Realtek audio console allows specifying speakers vs headset and this does seem to change the gain somewhat but it actually makes it lower with headset vs "front speakers" setting.

Is there any other solution you can think of? I might just have to buy an external audio interface which is a real pain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Have you tried uninstalling all audio drivers and re installing the default ones for the installed card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Regarding drivers, I've done:
    1. Let windows install default driver
    2. Gone to the MSI site and downloaded the recommended for the board
    3. Some other version of Realtek drivers

They basically all produced the same result.

What was the utility you used? I have the Realtek Audio Console which does help but nothing seems to produce the proper level signal.

Advertisement