Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs not following Government Guidance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Who mentioned getting drunk. We are told our judgement is impaired for driving after half a pint or less so how much is our judgement impaired after 3 or 4 pints or a bottle of wine which is easily doable in that time.
    It's supposed to be table service only. People are unlikely to be going over to mix with people at other tables. If I have a bottle of wine in a restaurant, I remain at my table.

...And do you honestly think every one is going out for the food.
    No, of course not. But they are supposed to purchase a substantial meal in order to be served alcohol. Some pubs and customers are not abiding by that. That is the point of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe Kane

Are you a disgruntled wife or something?

So did I on Saturday and it was great craic. Report it to the police if you feel so strongly and go into pub too and complain to management. No point giving out here.

How ye lads, I'm Johnny and I don't give two sh1tes about any virus, I'll drink me 40 pints, boi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

It's supposed to be table service only. People are unlikely to be going over to mix with people at other tables. If I have a bottle of wine in a restaurant, I remain at my table.

No, of course not. But they are supposed to purchase a substantial meal in order to be served alcohol. Some pubs and customers are not abiding by that. That is the point of the thread.

Where alcohol is involved the guidelines are going to be hard to implement and this is why I think its only a matter of time before they are shut down again .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

The daily statistics are widely available.

True, but there was a huge shortage and priority was given to frontline workers.

That what the presidents of the USA and Brazil said too.

The daily statistics are bound to increase with the use of the app and the push to test people with any symptoms at all these days. Unlike the early days when you could't get a test unless you had ALL of the symptoms simultaneously.

How many deaths in USA and Brazil in people under 80 without underlying conditions? I'll answer that, very very few...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

I think this is very unfair on Gibneys

Was in there over last few weeks, had to book, menu given on sit down. Table service, you order drink and food and the tables are distanced.

Of course they arent forcing you to spend 9 euro on a meal or that but it is really half personal reponsibility and half the pubs.

Got some food and 3 guinness and was out in around 2hrs.. Most other looked to be doing the same...

those saying they see only drinks on tables, it take only about 20mins to have your food and and will be removed quickly as service tends to be decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

You have 105 minutes and must have a substantial meal. Do you really think that those abiding by the guidelines will get drunk in that time?

You can shop without any time limit.

Shopping is not enjoyable, so people don't prolong it unnecessary. It is self limiting. Show me one person, who do shopping for more than 105 minutes...

...Of course they arent forcing you to spend 9 euro on a meal or that but it is really half personal reponsibility and half the pubs...
    The head of the VFI said recently that he wants 'the book thrown' at any members not strictly abiding by the guidelines. Regardless of the responsibility of customer, the publican has full responsibility to abide by the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

The head of the VFI said recently that he wants 'the book thrown' at any members not strictly abiding by the guidelines. Regardless of the responsibility of customer, the publican has full responsibility to abide by the guidelines.

You have to buy food but why the hell does food have to be 9 euro.

Could be a soup and sambo deal for 5 or 6 or sharing a platter for 12,14 euro.

It is guidance and people need to be sensible and not so binary.

You have to buy food but why the hell does food have to be 9 euro....
    Very simple reasons:

1. It prevents people from ordering inexpensive food just to obtain alcohol. People are less likely to 'waste' €9+ whereas they might be willing to do so for €2.

2. If people were allowed to purchase a small amount of food, there's nothing to stop them from doing a pub crawl and ordering a sandwich in each pub.

3. It makes pubs operate like restaurants where you sit at a table and be served - not lining up along a counter.

4. There's nothing to stop you from ordering a soup/sandwich - you just won't be able to get alcohol with it.

JoChervil wrote: »
    .. Show me one person, who do shopping for more than 105 minutes...
    Are you serious? My wife would happily shop for 105 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

maebee wrote: »
    ?? I was trying to make the point that a pub on an island (of all places) was not observing the distancing guide.

I wasn't criticising you or your son. I was referring to the situation you described,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,077 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You have to buy food but why the hell does food have to be 9 euro.
    Could be a soup and sambo deal for 5 or 6 or sharing a platter for 12,14 euro.
    It is guidance and people need to be sensible and not so binary.

Laws are binary and 9 euros is the updated value of a substantial meal from licensing legislation in the 60s.
    In Florida they only allowed bars to open that derived at least 50% of their revenue from food.
    We have to set the filter at a certain level just as we set it at a somewhat arbitrary age for legal drinking or driving.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If they updated to the same baseline as the last two updates did; it'd be ~€11 now. Oddly enough I think that'd probably have convinced people a bit more!

I've seen a few pubs thinking that €9 including the pint is OK; one on Saturday was €12 for a main course including a pint. Could be argued that it was a very cheap pint.

Advertisement