Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Irish PB's 2020

Options
  • 11-07-2020 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭

Racing is back!

Date - July 31st
    Time - 6.30pm
    Venue - Le Cheile, Leixlip
    Races - Graded 5,000m, Mile Races

All races will be paced and chip timed, with lap splits etc.

DJ, Beer etc (all in a safe and fun environment, abiding by all guidelines)

As ever, I will answer each and every query.

Friday night racing. What more can you ask?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Signed up for my second crack at it after enjoying last year. Surely it won’t be as hot as it was around the mid-afternoon last year! (Then again, the way this year has gone....)

Hoping to improve on my 5K personal best that I hit at this event last year. Will be trying to have a lazy day in work that Friday to save the energy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Excellent. I've signed up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

racersedge wrote: »
    Signed up for my second crack at it after enjoying last year. Surely it won’t be as hot as it was around the mid-afternoon last year! (Then again, the way this year has gone....)

Hoping to improve on my 5K personal best that I hit at this event last year. Will be trying to have a lazy day in work that Friday to save the energy!

It cannot be as hot - not 3 times in a row surely! Absolute outliers those days.

See you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Best of luck to all participants.

As ever, I will answer each and every query
    Is it as fast as the Cloonacool 5k?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Seriously lads, two days before the tallaght 5k!

Was injured for the last two, hopefully next year!

MY BAD wrote: »
    Is it as fast as the Cloonacool 5k?:D

Now there's a race.

Leixlip is a small bit flatter but Cloonacool has got the scenery!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

How will it work if social distancing of 2 metres is still in place? Will people start at intervals?

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    How will it work if social distancing of 2 metres is still in place? Will people start at intervals?

We are working with the 2 metre rule.

If you have a look at some of the races in Mondello etc, you will see how it works. Races will be numbered accordingly to ensure adequate spacing. As ever, everything is chipped timed so that helps with regards to starting 'behind' the start line.

Overall, I think we will see positive changes across the running landscape with regards to athletes lining up in the correct position; fastest at the front, with athletes lined up behind according to time goal and/or fitness. We all know of the stories of people lined up in the total wrong area! That type of scenario benefits nobody. That is why we are asking for predictive times. We want the race day situation to work for all - to maximise your chance to do well. It will be interesting to note how the that changes and develops as races (eventually) scale up in size and numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

We are working with the 2 metre rule.

If you have a look at some of the races in Mondello etc, you will see how it works. Races will be numbered accordingly to ensure adequate spacing. As ever, everything is chipped timed so that helps with regards to starting 'behind' the start line.

Overall, I think we will see positive changes across the running landscape with regards to athletes lining up in the correct position; fastest at the front, with athletes lined up behind according to time goal and/or fitness. We all know of the stories of people lined up in the total wrong area! That type of scenario benefits nobody. That is why we are asking for predictive times. We want the race day situation to work for all - to maximise your chance to do well. It will be interesting to note how the that changes and develops as races (eventually) scale up in size and numbers.

Saw them and looked well as big area to spread out and 30/50 people all targeting different time’s.

Day of pbs have always been well organised. Good luck with it. Any plans of brining in a 10km one like they do in uk

• Advertisement

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Saw them and looked well as big area to spread out and 30/50 people all targeting different time’s.

Day of pbs have always been well organised. Good luck with it. Any plans of brining in a 10km one like they do in uk

No race will have that number so we are all good on the space front!

Yes - I would love to at some stage. Track running is a harder sell than road running. There are many reasons for that, a lot I can empathise with. I hope races like ours will break down that barrier (for some). Eventually, a 10,000m race will happen. I guess for inspiration we only need to look to Highgate - incredible.

On a side note, it has been great to see so many time trials and races taking place on track during Covid. I spent way too much time watching this:
    Amazing! 28 flat 10,000m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Racing is back!

Date - July 31st
    Time - 6.30pm
    Venue - Le Cheile, Leixlip
    Races - Graded 5,000m, Mile Races

All races will be paced and chip timed, with lap splits etc.

DJ, Beer etc (all in a safe and fun environment, abiding by all guidelines)

As ever, I will answer each and every query.

Friday night racing. What more can you ask?!

I see mile races mentioned above but only 5Ks mentioned on the websites below. What's the story with the miles? Are they also paced, chipped etc ?

https://www.popupraces.ie/race/day-of-irish-pbs-2020/
    https://eventmaster.ie/event/eRvhrKF8x

dna_leri wrote: »
    I see mile races mentioned above but only 5Ks mentioned on the websites below. What's the story with the miles? Are they also paced, chipped etc ?

https://www.popupraces.ie/race/day-of-irish-pbs-2020/
    https://eventmaster.ie/event/eRvhrKF8x

That will all be confirmed either today or tomorrow. Given the recent events we didn't expect to be able to hold an event this year. I hope to have mile races - chipped and paced, as always! We are slightly pushed given the short notice, limited time schedule (Friday evening) and higher than expected demand. We will see how the entry list is and take it from there. As said, that will be today or tomorrow. Watch this space!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I had signed up to Tallaght before this came out, but threw in an entry anyway.

Friday night racing sounds better than Sunday morning racing - but I reckon I'll let the weather Gods dictate which one I'll do.

I had signed up to Tallaght before this came out, but threw in an entry anyway.

Friday night racing sounds better than Sunday morning racing - but I reckon I'll let the weather Gods dictate which one I'll do.

Great to have you there.

(I thought about making a silly joke about you getting lost on the track but I am better than that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Interested.

DR, could you explain how this is going to work regards 2m? Are people going to be spread out one by one, or are small groups allowed? Can't imagine 12.5 laps with no one in front or behind to work with or chase.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Interested.

DR, could you explain how this is going to work regards 2m? Are people going to be spread out one by one, or are small groups allowed? Can't imagine 12.5 laps with no one in front or behind to work with or chase.

Races will be small. We won't be packing 100 onto the track, trust me.

This year we asked for 'predictive time'. This now allows us to plan the races according to the precise demand. Unlike a traditional track race, we use chip timing (familiar to all across the country on the roads). This allows us to spread the field at the start, implementing the required distance. After this, a degree of personable responsibility kicks in. I think we have all adjusted our training and running to accommodate the new reality; increased distancing, no immediate drafting etc.

I do think people, in general, need to accept a degree of flexibility whether road or track running. We all need to appreciate the need run in the appropriate manner. If that means running a slightly longer 'line', so be it. There is a compromise to be made.

For first hand experience, recent races (Mondello etc) work very well. It is a two-way street between the race organisers and participants. The feedback was very positive and was the participant attention to running in 2020!

We are now sold out. A huge thank you to all.

We will have updates and more details later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Thanks for the reply, didn't get in before you sold out. Best of luck with it.

Update.

After analysing entries (many hours!), we make managed to make some capacity in the schedule. We also added a 1 mile race (sub 6/5). Also, this means some very limited capacity in some of the other races.

Great to see first time track racers, as well as over 35 aiming for sub 17 (many sub 16/15 and faster). Loads of great time targets aimed at throughout the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Shi!t. Had already signed up to to tallaght 5k so didn't sign up here. Now tallaght is cancelled.

Ah well...Hope everyone has a great evening.

I remember two years ago you had two pacers in every race. Do you plan the same again?

MY BAD wrote: »
    I remember two years ago you had two pacers in every race. Do you plan the same again?

We will confirmed that this week.

We are very much limited in participant numbers by Covid so operations will be different this year with regards pacers etc. Once we fill all races we can then take it from there. That will be the end of the week. Each race will definitely have at least one pacer, that is sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Just signed up for the mile. Hopefully this year it'll be a case of third time lucky and I'll finally be able to make it. :)

Less than a week to go now!

Quick question on my part. Are we going to be informed what times/groups we are going out in? Or are we just using the best guestimate given our expected finish times we have on sign up?

Less than a week to go now!

Quick question on my part. Are we going to be informed what times/groups we are going out in? Or are we just using the best guestimate given our expected finish times we have on sign up?

We only have 3 remaining places so that will be confirmed on Sunday or Monday at the latest. We can then get the full picture when discussing race placings. This year we asked you the athlete for your predicted times, creating a race pattern from there.

For example, if you entered the 17min race and are aiming for 16.45, you are in the 17min race. If you are aiming for 19.15 or 15.25 and entered in the 17min race, you will be moved! That works out best both for athlete and overall race structure.

Basically - you will be placed on your predicted time.

There won't be as much flexibility this year 're changing races. We will try our best but with the need to implement distancing, we are definitely limited.

If you have any questions mail me here, contact through FB or email info@popupraces.ie

I will update here and on facebook. You will also receive an email. Hope that helps. It is getting close!

UPDATE

All particiapnts will be receiving the STARTLIST information tomorrow.

RACE SCHEDULE

TIMETABLE-8.png

As always, any questions PM me. Final Race Instructions will be issued Thursday.

Looking at the weather and hoping for a sharp downturn in the predicted temperature. There was me thinking the evening might work in the favor after warm afternoon last year. Must plan a BBQ next year around it as it seems to attract the warm temps!!

Looking at the weather and hoping for a sharp downturn in the predicted temperature. There was me thinking the evening might work in the favor after warm afternoon last year. Must plan a BBQ next year around it as it seems to attract the warm temps!!

Costa Del Leixlip.....100% chance of glorious sun!

• Advertisement

The Provisional Startlist is now live.

Any queries will be answered here, facebook (PM) or by emailing.

www.popupraces.ie/day-of-irish-pbs-2020-startlists

Thanks all.

Advertisement