Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two injured after light aircraft crash in Galway

Options
  • 11-07-2020 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

TWO PEOPLE HAVE been injured and brought to hospital following a light aircraft crash this afternoon in Co Galway.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/two-injured-after-plane-crash-lands-in-galway-1.4302520

Cessna 172 apparently, from the Times article: "The aircraft landed upright and did not ignite."

From the Journal.ie: "Gardaí and emergency services are currently at the scene of the crash in a field in Killimordaly.

The incident occurred at around 12.45pm today. Two people were injured and taken by ambulance to University Hospital Galway.

The scene is currently preserved and the Irish Aviation Authority has been notified.

Gardaí said no further information is available at this time."

https://www.thejournal.ie/two-injured-after-aircraft-crash-in-galway-5147715-Jul2020/

Without a subscription to FR24 or similar, can the flight path of a specific aircraft be checked after the flight has ended?
    I'm almost 100% I saw this Cessna fly over the house earlier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

EI-EZU looking at the RTE pictures. A 172 Hawk. Anyone know where it’s based out of?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

lucalux wrote: »

Without a subscription to FR24 or similar, can the flight path of a specific aircraft be checked after the flight has ended?
    I'm almost 100% I saw this Cessna fly over the house earlier.

Only if the aircraft was equipped with ADSB, which I don't think is mandatory for light aircraft. That's what FR24 uses to track aircraft.

Wishing the two involved a full and speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The aircraft was based at Rathcoole Co.Cork for many years. They were on their way to a fly in up in Roscommon. The aircraft, an R172K Hawk XPII, is a more powerful version of the traditional Cessna 172. A very lucky escape and skill from the pilot saved both lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

One person airlifted to UHG by Air Corps 112 and one taken in by Ambulance very lucky thank God, Air Corps 112 was into UHG 3 times today and another 139 in on another tasking, Rescue 115 also into Galway today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Storm 10 wrote: »
    One person airlifted to UHG by Air Corps 112 and one taken in by Ambulance very lucky thank God, Air Corps 112 was into UHG 3 times today and another 139 in on another tasking, Rescue 115 also into Galway today.

A complete aside to this thread, but Storm10 do you know why the Air Corps and rescue helis have been landing in South Park? I live nearby and they’re landing there very frequently of late. Is it when the helipad at UHG is occupied by another chopper?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    A complete aside to this thread, but Storm10 do you know why the Air Corps and rescue helis have been landing in South Park? I live nearby and they’re landing there very frequently of late. Is it when the helipad at UHG is occupied by another chopper?

Yes when they arrive together they are using South Park they would use the 2nd pad at the Hospital but it's out of action at present , enjoy them while it lasts wonderful lifesaving service, this is yesterday's tasking

*TASKING UPDATE*
    RESCUE115 is now safely back at Shannon after tasking to Ballyvaughan in the Burren, tasking completed successfully & airlifted to South Park in the Claddagh in Galway City for handover as Irish Air Corps AW139 “ALPHA WHISKEY 274” was on the pad at UH Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭lucalux

HTCOne wrote: »
    Only if the aircraft was equipped with ADSB, which I don't think is mandatory for light aircraft. That's what FR24 uses to track aircraft.

Wishing the two involved a full and speedy recovery.

Thanks for clarifying, I did wonder about it considering it's a light aircraft.

Great work from the pilot by the sounds of it, glad to have a positive outcome for them in terms of landing, and the great job as always by emergency services.

Ditto on the recovery wishes, sorry all if I came across as just curious and not wishing them well in recovery! I realise it may have read that way

• Advertisement
Advertisement