Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SURLAW REVEAL - The Homervision Fongcontest

2»

Comments

From Lake Zurich to Lake Bled, we’re off to enjoy some potent homemade schnapps* with S1ippvenia:

1 point to Dressed For Space
    2 points to Seis <two sets of points in a row!>
    3 points to Mulatu’s Mood
    4 points to Come Alive
    5 points to Pain Killer
    6 points to Jeune Et Con
    7 points to Eleven Wives
    8 points to Reincarnation
    10 points to Back Home

And the 12 points go to……

……GONE GONE GONE

A second 12-points of the night for the Kiwi, coupled with low-ish scores for the leaders…..is there to be a late twist in this race? The table after 12 rounds is coming up now…..

*my sister has a Slovenian penpal that visited us once years ago and brought us two supposedly differently flavoured bottles of "fruit" schnapps to try....they both had the exact same taste, namely that of pure ethanol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I went to a wedding in Lake Bled, it is a stunning place!

And Ljubljana is one of my favourite cities. Might have to go and visit s1ippy sometime :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Whoo-hoo! Delighted I helped them into first place. That song is several types of awesome, I really love it. There was never ever doubt it would be number one for me

Come Alive was one that actually took a few listens before getting my number 1 spot - it was always in my Top 10, but definitely lower down the totem poll to begin with. Delighted to see it up at the top of the table, even if it doesn't pull out the overall win.

Gone Gone Gone was actually my No. 1 for the first two listens before falling out of my Top 10 altogether as others won me over that bit more on subsequent listens.

Come Alive was one that actually took a few listens before getting my number 1 spot - it was always in my Top 10, but definitely lower down the totem poll to begin with. Delighted to see it up at the top of the table, even if it doesn't pull out the overall win.

Gone Gone Gone was actually my No. 1 for the first two listens before falling out of my Top 10 altogether as others won me over that bit more on subsequent listens.

Wow, pretty dramatic fall for Ladyhawke!

Come Alive starts like Thom Yorke solo before moving into a sound like Hail To The Thief era Radiohead, I was sold very quickly :D

With only two juries left to go, here's how our table looks:

POSITION SONG POINTS
    1 Come Alive 65
    2 Gone Gone Gone 58
    3 Wo ist die Euphorie 55
    4 Jeune et Con 52
    5 Back Home 48
    6 Reincarnation 41
    7 How We Be 39
    8 Sakura No Sono 36
    9 Painkiller 34
    10 Heartbreaker 33
    11 Viltu vitrast 31
    12 Owl 30
    13 Dressed For Space 29
    14 Eleven Wives 29
    15 To You 27
    16 I Hope You Die 26
    17 Que No Salga La Luna 22
    18 Mulatu's Mood 20
    19 Music Is My Hot Hot Sex 15
    20 Seis 6

The Jezabels hold on to their lead but their Oceanic neighbour Ladyhawke has now climbed up to the silver medal position. Trümmer hold off Saez for the bronze spot, while two 10-point scores in a row has led to the Polish entry Daniel Spaleniak stealthily creeping up the table to sit in 5th place. No change at the bottom, but at least we know there won’t be a nul pointer now!

Time for our penultimate jury vote of the night, where we take a trip to Bratislava to find Slophatkeva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Wow, pretty dramatic fall for Ladyhawke!

I really really loved 12 of the songs, and not a huge amount separated them for me to be honest, and it just ended up being one of the two (along with Seis) that got cut on my final listen before submitting scores. More a testament to the overall quality of the Surlaw that there is 12 songs I'd gladly see win. There wasn't any songs that I disliked either.

…..and what will Slophatkeva be giving the top three?

NOTHING AT ALL!
    tenor.gif

1 point to How We Be
    2 points to Que No Salga La Luna
    3 points to To You
    4 points to Music Is My Hot Hot Sex
    5 points to Jeune Et Con
    6 points to Seis
    7 points to Back Home
    8 points to Eleven Wives
    10 points to Reincarnation

And the 12 points go to……

……MULATU’S MOOD

A second perfect score of the night for Mr Astatke, that won't be enough to help him win but will certainly help to stop others from winning! For the night that's in it, allow me to shoehorn in a fitting parallel with the late Mr Jack Charlton, who once said: "I wasn't very good at playing football. But I was very good at stopping other people playing football"

And this is what the penultimate table looks like; five songs could still take the crown here with just one jury left to vote:

POSITION SONG POINTS
    1 Come Alive 65
    2 Gone Gone Gone 58
    3 Jeune et Con 57
    4 Wo ist die Euphorie 55
    5 Back Home 55
    6 Reincarnation 51
    7 How We Be 40
    8 Eleven Wives 37
    9 Sakura No Sono 36
    10 Painkiller 34
    11 Heartbreaker 33
    12 Mulatu's Mood 32
    13 Viltu vitrast 31
    14 To You 30
    15 Owl 30
    16 Dressed For Space 29
    17 I Hope You Die 26
    18 Que No Salga La Luna 24
    19 Music Is My Hot Hot Sex 19
    20 Seis 12

The Jezabels and Saez both started off strong and have never looked back throughout.

Ladyhawke was slow out of the traps but a burst of energy sees her within touching distance of the leaders.

Trümmer were the early pace setters and although their momentum has stalled somewhat they still remain in contention.

And the darkest of dark horses, Polish duo Daniel and Kartarzyna, are stealthily priming themselves for a final sprint towards an unlikely win.

They say Chisinau is the least visited capital city in Europe, but we’re excitedly racing there tonight because shít's about to go down; Kol(i)dova gets the final say tonight in our Surlaw showdown.

The hour of reckoning is upon us.
    It is time for the results from the Kol(i)dovan jury.

And straight away we have drama:

1 point to Come Alive

Meaning the Jezabels fail to secure victory just yet, but remain in a very strong position with a final tally of 66 points.

Kol(i)dovan Jury, Part Two:

2 points to Dressed For Space
    3 points to Mulatu's Mood
    4 points to Music Is My Hot Hot Sex

So far, so good.....

• Advertisement

Kol(i)dovan Jury, Part Three:

5 points to Jeune et Con

Monsieur Saez has scored very respectably all night but crucially didn’t manage to get anyone's full 12 points. A score of 5 here sees him finish with 62 points, 4 short of catching The Jezabels.

Thus we are now left with four possible winners......

The hour of reckoning is upon us.
    It is time for the results from the Kol(i)dovan jury.

And straight away we have drama:

1 point to Come Alive

Meaning the Jezabels fail to secure victory just yet, but remain in a very strong position with a final tally of 66 points.
    tenor.gif

Kol(i)dovan Jury, Part Four:

Another one bites the dust!

6 points to Gone Gone Gone

Giving Ladyhawke a final tally of 64 points, which is not enough to overtake The Jezabels. Our list of possible winners is now reduced to just 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

woo. . . suspense is killing me. . .

Kol(i)dovan Jury, Part Five:

7 points to How We Be
    8 points to Owl
    10 points to Sakura No Sono

So where does that leave us? The Jezabels are on 66 points. Both Trümmer and Daniel Spaleniak feat. Katarzyna Kowalczyk currently have 55. If either the Germans or the Poles manage to get the Kolidovan 12 points, they will take the Surlaw title; otherwise, the crown is heading Down Under.....

With that in mind, I can reveal that the Kolidovan 12 points go to………..

......how long can I drag this out for? :pac:

......how long can I drag this out for? :pac:
    Too long :pac:

......……WO IST DIE EUPHORIE

DEUTSCHLAND ÜBER ALLES! TRÜMMER HAT GEWONNEN UND IST DIE SURLAWCHAMPION!!

german-flag-5.gif

VHRfbH0.jpg

giphy.gif

Great reveal Homer.

A fall at the final hurdle is disappointing, Jezabels should of won it, but fair play to Trümmer. Es ist ein gutes Lied.

• Advertisement

And so here is our final SURLAW table after all juries voted:

POSITION SONG POINTS
    1 Wo ist die Euphorie 67
    2 Come Alive 66
    3 Gone Gone Gone 64
    4 Jeune et Con 62
    5 Back Home 55
    6 Reincarnation 51
    7 How We Be 47
    8 Sakura No Sono 46
    9 Owl 38
    10 Eleven Wives 37
    11 Mulatu's Mood 35
    12 Pain Killer 34
    13 Heartbreaker 33
    14 Dressed For Space* 31
    15 Viltu vitrast 31
    16 To You 30
    17 I Hope You Die 26
    18 Que No Salga La Luna 24
    19 Music Is My Hot Hot Sex 23
    20 Seis 12

*Dressed For Space finishes above Viltu vitrast as it received more 12-point scores (1 vs 0)

Victory by a single point for the Germans over their Antipodean rivals, and they will take the Surlaw crown back to their home city of Hamburg. Ireland’s representatives Young Wonder had a strong start but ultimately finish in 16th. A late flurry of points is not enough to help Mick Pedaja avoid bringing the wooden spoon home to Estonia.

Thanks to everyone who entered, was great fun scoring this and seeing how different peoples’ opinions were. Also cheers to anyone who may have listened to the playlists but didn’t get a chance to enter, and to those who might just be lurking here – I hope you’ve discovered some new music you like as a result. :)

Kolido is up next on the Surlaw list, but in the meantime Irish Aris has a Walrus game open for signups so be sure to check that out for your next fill of Forum Games music.

In the meantime, it’s auf wiedersehen from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

ah, I was really rooting for Ladyhawke. . .

But in any case, that was a great reveal Homer, thank you for organising this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Oh Ja! We sind wunderbar!

Ah, so close!
    I did like Trummer too though

And my Ladyhawke guess wasn't too bad after all!

Nice one Homer - cracking selection and a great reveal... until the cruel final twist :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great game Homer and a very exciting reveal.

Very happy with the winning song.

PS. Will have my game up soon. On holliers atm, have my playlist almost sorted, just need to find time to post an op.

Advertisement