Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree after completing cadetship

• 12-07-2020 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

If you haven’t done a Level 8 degree and complete the basic 15 month cadet training are you guaranteed to be sent to college? If so what degrees do people end up doing and do they stay in student accommodation or military accommodation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Borderland

JohnBoy140 wrote: »
    If you haven’t done a Level 8 degree and complete the basic 15 month cadet training are you guaranteed to be sent to college? If so what degrees do people end up doing and do they stay in student accommodation or military accommodation?

I think while you can turn down the level 8 degree, the army will as a matter of course send you to complete a degree. So while it’s not guaranteed, I think it happens 99.99% of times.

There is a list of degrees that they will pay for, but if you want to do something else you can put in a business case. The example given by the LT giving the job preview was that they wouldn’t pay for medicine but that if you asked them they might pay for a law degree.

The two lads I know who went back to college both stayed on barracks. I think it depends on whether there is a barracks nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JohnBoy140

Borderland wrote: »
    I think while you can turn down the level 8 degree, the army will as a matter of course send you to complete a degree. So while it’s not guaranteed, I think it happens 99.99% of times.

There is a list of degrees that they will pay for, but if you want to do something else you can put in a business case. The example given by the LT giving the job preview was that they wouldn’t pay for medicine but that if you asked them they might pay for a law degree.

The two lads I know who went back to college both stayed on barracks. I think it depends on whether there is a barracks nearby.

What’s life like studying and living in a barracks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

JohnBoy140 wrote: »
    What’s life like studying and living in a barracks?

Most study in NUIG and stay in the local barracks.
    I'd imagine it's the best time of your life.

Advertisement