Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacked

Options
  • 12-07-2020 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭

Folks.. just been chilling on my own... talking with the other half on FB... surfing boards and watching tv...

All of a sudden the signal dies on my wifi on ipad.. i go to the settings page... the network is listed. I click to connect but i get ...'incorrect password for SKYaaaa network'.

So im guessing ive been hacked....

Has anybody experienced this... know how to proceed ?

Going to call sky tomorrow but any feedback would be gratefully apreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Strumms wrote: »
    Folks.. just been chilling on my own... talking with the other half on FB... surfing boards and watching tv...

All of a sudden the signal dies on my wifi on ipad.. i go to the settings page... the network is listed. I click to connect but i get ...'incorrect password for SKYaaaa network'.

Has anybody experienced this... know how to proceed ?

Going to call sky tomorrow but any feedback would be gratefully apreciated

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Devices-report-WiFi-Password-is-Incorrect-except-it-s-not/m-p/3008063#M128039

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep, didn’t work but working again this morning. WiFi has gone down before but never prompted for passwords and stuff, weird

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yep, didn’t work but working again this morning. WiFi has gone down before but never prompted for passwords and stuff, weird

do you have a wired connection to the router, you could reset the password that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

Strange that one would experience a tech problem like this and jump to the conclusion they have been "hacked"

• Registered Users Posts: 82,598 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you tried any other device apart from the EyePad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Have you ever changed the default password?
    Do other devices have the same issue?

We could troubleshoot the issue to see what the actual problem is but if you don't want to do that then take a look at your router and you'll find a small pin sized hole. Plug a pin into it for about 10-20 seconds and it will completely reset your router back to its factory settings and the password will be the password on the sticker on the bottom. You should be able to log back in as normal and then you could change the password.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

pah wrote: »
    Strange that one would experience a tech problem like this and jump to the conclusion they have been "hacked"

It’s not strange, it’s simply not being aware of the machinations of networks and presuming or wondering based on the messages I received.

I tried rebooting the router and devices last night without success.

I had the issue with both iPad and my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭maryen

Have you tried to do a factory reset on the router?
    and then create a strong password.
    by default your router's ip will be 192.168.1.1

user admin
    Password admin/ Admin

It's recommendable to change the password

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭SVI40

Highly unlikely you've been hacked. Possibly the router did a reset, and has reverted to the default password. You will need to connect via cable and see.

My brand new, out of the box Virgin router had the incorrect wi-fi password listed on the device. It was a character out, which I only discovered when I connected via cable.

It happens where weird and wonderful things happen to IT hardware, for no apparent reason.

Advertisement