Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Yes,they stay in college for 1 week and after coming back to mammy and dady waiting for another check from them to pay for education.

My friend,lot of students has jobs to pay for education ! And they does not live in cupboard boxes beside them work places in Dublin.

What does it matter if a students works of gets money form their parents for college?
    As for all the tall stories about cheap log cabins, lack of planning, cheap Eastern European labour keep up the good work. Do you think many people fall for it if they are able to understand the ramblings?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Hubertj wrote: »
    What does it matter if a students works of gets money form their parents for college?
    As for all the tall stories about cheap log cabins, lack of planning, cheap Eastern European labour keep up the good work. Do you think many people fall for it if they are able to understand the ramblings?

What is your problem? Neutral Guy brings his own perspective to the subject of property, just like everyone else here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Its sad we have people in this country think like you. Thankfully you’re in a minority.

That's a very nasty thing to say.says a lot about you as a person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

Pelezico wrote: »
    Neutral guy....student rent in Dunlin is coming down. People will not pay 1k per month. That is too much to bear when rent is 60% of that.

Any proof of that?

https://www.ucd.ie/residences/bookinginfo/ratesandpayments/

I can only speak about my niece who is paying 525 per month this year in Dublin for accom. She is in UCD.

One thing which will hit disposable income hard is fewer jobs for students. So many have been pulling in between 100 and 200 per week.

That is gone for a lot of them. Mammy and Daddy will have to step in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,818 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Houses connected to existed tanks .

The companies from Eastern Europe were official which make houses at home paying taxes and vats and export houses around Europe with fitting included.Many of them reduced priced due with downturn in economy on main markets as Sweeden,Denmark,Norway.The price of log cabin is from 350 euros for square mtr and those houses are perfect for Ireland warm weather conditions .The more popular those houses will be /are already the less demand will be on traditional property .Thousands overpriced houses for sale over number of years already and will be more.

F the planing permisions on farmer land ! This guys could save money for proper house living on unregistered property for another 20 years easily saving money for proper house not paying rent and convert them log cabin to shed for pigs or holiday home after!

The 2 beds 40 years old bungalow in Blackrock/Louth 270K
    The property owner keep dreaming about this price about 2 years

In this time brand new houses was built behind the corner were 3 beds cost 230K

Then the house is not planning compliant. I know two people who wend down the planing route and failed to secure it. I know of a flat extension that did not go ahead because of insistance of a bio cycle tank. Your options are only available to the very few. As well they carry risk as Local Authorities can come along and carry out enforcement where a compliant is lodged. Not paying property tax on a log cabin carries the risk of being caught in 15-20 years time and getting a bill in the thousands and revenue will collect that bill either from the person or the property owner.

As for the two bed bunglow it more than likly on a half acre, if vendor had not sold for two they definately will not sell for 20K in your predicted outcome.

Something losing value is immaterial as long as you do not have to sell. two years ago I went to trade in a tractor it was a 2WD I was only getting 7-8K for it. I also tried to sell but again nobody was willing to meet my price of 10K. It was worth 7-8K as a second tractor to me. Today if I went to sell it I get 12K+ for it. Property is the same a price collapse will only see most hold off selling even if it happens

Slava Ukrainii

I can only speak about my niece who is paying 525 per month this year in Dublin for accom. She is in UCD.

One thing which will hit disposable income hard is fewer jobs for students. So many have been pulling in between 100 and 200 per week.

That is gone for a lot of them. Mammy and Daddy will have to step in.

There is a **** lot of them on the COVID payment. it was 350, now it 250 for them. It will be there in some form until the middle of next year.

Slava Ukrainii

I wonder if many families will offer digs to students this year considering all that is going on. Further reduces cheaper accommodation options for students. Really surprising so many places appear to be keeping asking prices inflated when they know on campus activity will be so curtailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,993 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I wonder if many families will offer dogs to students this year considering all that is going on.

I think international students will be down. I'm not sure there were many Korean students coming in anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ozark707 wrote: »
    Even if it goes to 1k a month why would a student pay that?

5 Star accommodation incl. of meals in a top restaurant for the duration?
    Its hard not to see the attraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭hometruths

From the Sunday Times - Dublin homeless housed in city’s Maldron Hotel at estimated €300,000 a month.

If things carry on like this pretty soon Dublin's hotels will be full of homeless, students and other demographics who historically would have been in houses/apartments, whilst the houses/apartments are full of tourists, short stay business travellers, out of towners and other demographics who historically would have been in hotels.

Cannot help thinking we have this the wrong way round!

Maddening because it should be quite an easy to problem to solve.

schmittel wrote: »
    From the Sunday Times - Dublin homeless housed in city’s Maldron Hotel at estimated €300,000 a month.

If things carry on like this pretty soon Dublin's hotels will be full of homeless, students and other demographics who historically would have been in houses/apartments, whilst the houses/apartments are full of tourists, short stay business travellers, out of towners and other demographics who historically would have been in hotels.

I am happy that homeless people are provided with accommodation, especially during these times. However, i how it is only a short term solution while a more sustainable model can be put in place. I won’t hold my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

schmittel wrote: »

I saw this few weeks back - https://www.talbothotelstillorgan.com/student-accomodation.html

It is actually good value :o

stud.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

drogon. wrote: »
    I saw this few weeks back - https://www.talbothotelstillorgan.com/student-accomodation.html

It is actually good value :o

stud.jpg

nice hotel too. Stayed there many a time good parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ursabear

How do they cook their dinners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

Could somebody refresh my memory please
    There was some sort of project for shared living in Dublin
    Very small flat ,something about 10 square mtrs and 1 kitchen for 5 flats or something ?
    The full building that type
    The rent in that kind of property was advertised about 1300 per month
    Does anybody remember something ?
    Thanks

Then the house is not planning compliant. I know two people who wend down the planing route and failed to secure it. I know of a flat extension that did not go ahead because of insistance of a bio cycle tank. Your options are only available to the very few. As well they carry risk as Local Authorities can come along and carry out enforcement where a compliant is lodged. Not paying property tax on a log cabin carries the risk of being caught in 15-20 years time and getting a bill in the thousands and revenue will collect that bill either from the person or the property owner.

As for the two bed bunglow it more than likly on a half acre, if vendor had not sold for two they definately will not sell for 20K in your predicted outcome.

Something losing value is immaterial as long as you do not have to sell. two years ago I went to trade in a tractor it was a 2WD I was only getting 7-8K for it. I also tried to sell but again nobody was willing to meet my price of 10K. It was worth 7-8K as a second tractor to me. Today if I went to sell it I get 12K+ for it. Property is the same a price collapse will only see most hold off selling even if it happens

The risk or not people build them with/without I do not know.But fact is that there is parallel industry which fill the demand at affordable price.One guy has 2 beds for 26K ( I do not know how much Ikea kitchen cost him ) and he has rent/mortgage free life,another guy has rent/mortgage free life in 3 beds house for 50K ( everything ,even toilet roll calculated in price when he moved in ) about 15 km away from houses were 3 beds cost 230K.
    People finding out and many are happy.

You cant hold property if property does not generate income and are empty.
    In last recession the restoraunts was working,the planes was flying the hotels was busy,etc
    In this recession country are dead,from very top to very bottom
    If before some people had money in this recession nobody will have money !
    How people will pay mortgages for houses when there will be no renters ?
    Bank will not take family home but bank will easy take this family second house which been bought and used for rent

The risk or not people build them with/without I do not know.But fact is that there is parallel industry which fill the demand at affordable price.One guy has 2 beds for 26K ( I do not know how much Ikea kitchen cost him ) and he has rent/mortgage free life,another guy has rent/mortgage free life in 3 beds house for 50K ( everything ,even toilet roll calculated in price when he moved in ) about 15 km away from houses were 3 beds cost 230K.
    People finding out and many are happy.

You cant hold property if property does not generate income and are empty.
    In last recession the restoraunts was working,the planes was flying the hotels was busy,etc
    In this recession country are dead,from very top to very bottom
    If before some people had money in this recession nobody will have money !
    How people will pay mortgages for houses when there will be no renters ?
    Bank will not take family home but bank will easy take this family second house which been bought and used for rent

People dont own property neutal. The property owns them.

People dont own property neutal. The property owns them.
    Mortgages owns the people not property.Life without rent/mortgage are not the same as on rent/mortgage.I am from country were most people does not have mortgages at all or never had.In my country I could tell employer F and walk down the street to another company without thinking how I will pay rent/mortgage.The most people in Ireland every single day thinking how they will pay one or another what bring them to the huge stress and make them life shorter.

Does living in an illegally constructed cabin in a field in Louth a provide a good quality of life? Doesn’t sound like it to me.

• Advertisement

Does living in an illegally constructed cabin in a field in Louth a provide a good quality of life? Doesn’t sound like it to me.

You are at it again. You just have an itch that wont go away.

There are more things in heaven and earth than were dreamt of in your philosophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Only the most successful of people live in Louth.

You are at it again. You just have an itch that wont go away.

There are more things in heaven and earth than were dreamt of in your philosophy.

Just giving my opinion. Am I not allowed disagree with someone else’s point of view?

Just giving my opinion. Am I not allowed disagree with someone else’s point of view?

No you are not allow to disagree, everybody must live in a hovel, everybody can put a log cabin on there father or uncle land. There are no conquences to these actions. It everybody dream to live in a log cabin with a bit of gravel around it. Mind you houses in Louth are not expensive anyway. Kids can walk through the fields to school. They can dance at the crossroads.

Eamon DeValera come back all is forgiven

Slava Ukrainii

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Sweet Jesus. Louth, just like my own abode, Waterford is cheap for a reason. Nothing to be boasting about. lol

Sweet Jesus. Louth, just like my own abode, Waterford is cheap for a reason. Nothing to be boasting about. lol

If you come from Louth any hovel anywhere is expensive

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭enricoh

Possibly a better quality of life than an iffy 3 bed semi in drogheda for e1500 a month!
    https://touch.daft.ie/for-rent/house-hand-street-drogheda-co-louth/2558674

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

enricoh wrote: »
    Possibly a better quality of life than an iffy 3 bed semi in drogheda for e1500 a month!
    https://touch.daft.ie/for-rent/house-hand-street-drogheda-co-louth/2558674

save the cash move to barcelona and commute. well when restrictions
    are over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I keep eye on property in Louth last couple years.Many houses are overpriced not sold for years and not much new coming.I worked in building industry people build plenty new houses them self also huge number of extensenions and garage conversions to help children save money on rents.My couple mates bought log cabin types houses one 2 beds was built on his father farm land by company from Eastern Europe for only 26K and another guy got piece of land from his father were another company from Eastern Europe built 3 beds house which cost him 50 K for everything include curtains on windows.

Any chance you could PM me that company please, worth a look anyway. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭HotDudeLife

More propaganda from IT/Myhome

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/househunters-undaunted-by-covid-19-myhome-ie-survey-suggests-1.4353882

"Sentiment among prospective homebuyers appears to be holding up in the face of the pandemic, research by MyHome.ie suggests."

"Just 13% expect prices to fall by more than 10% over the next year, research finds "

" “Even though consumers have not seen the price drops that many predicted when Covid-19 emerged, demand has stayed strong throughout Q2 and Q3,” she insisted "

Whilst, i have no plans on buying i have been keeping an eye on things as younger colleagues have been on the fence and are now holding off purchasing. Surely it is too early to make a statement like "Even though consumers have not seen the price drops that many predicted when Covid-19 emerged "

I would've expected people to be more patient given the lag time of price crash during the last recession.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement