Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown homeowners face 15% hike in property tax due to Covid crisis.

“In effectively increasing the local property taxes in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown, councillors have ensured that those whose homes are worth between €400,000 and €450,000 will see bills increase from €650 per year to €765.”

Link to Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dún-laoghaire-rathdown-homeowners-face-15-hike-in-property-tax-due-to-covid-crisis-1.4354899

Makes sense that the discounts should not be applied as opposed to an increase as you misrepresent. I expect the other councils to follow and hopefully property tax will be properly addressed in the next 2 years. I will end up paying a lot more but it should be done in order to properly fund the provision of public services.

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

brisan wrote: »
    According to MyHome
    In the last 3 months Greystones has seen
    11 price increases
    36 price decreases
    Overall decrease of 4%
    Wicklow has seen
    46 price increases
    146 price decreases
    Overall decrease of 3%
    They are the figures in isolation
    How those prices compare to last years prices or to prices in certain more desirable areas I have no idea

How many prices didn’t change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

You are dreaming...if the house prices drop by 50% we'll all be back to subsistence farming to get by.

Happened last time around
    Different set of circumstances this time so I cannot see it happening
    NG will be a long time waiting

Geuze wrote: »
    The current recession is already in the recovery phase.

Plenty of people can afford to borrow and buy houses.

Some people can't manage to pay inflated urban rents and save for a deposit, yes.

The housing market may soften due to uncertainty, yes.

The current recession is only waking up

awec wrote: »

All the rest I would assume
    47 changed 35 did not

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »

All the rest I would assume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This thread could be a great resource for someone buying if wasn't for the fantasist, and those for whom everything is a sign of a recession.

Like it or not there is a fairly large cohort of purchasers who can pay the guts of 500k for a house.

Having a coping strategy of 'hoping it all goes wrong for them' and house prices fall and trolling a thread like this is not a good coping mechanism.

They may or may not be a recession no one can say for definite, there might be one which only has minimal effects on house prices no one can say for certain.

In my opinion, paying the gusts of 500k for a 3/4 bed sounds like a lot of money but if a couple can get a mortgae or have the money and want to do it, it's their choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,139 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes asking prices dropped
    They obviously dropped because no one was interested at the original asking price

indeed, people may have priced too high, doesnt mean achieved prices are falling however.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

mariaalice wrote: »
    This thread could be a great resource for someone buying if wasn't for the fantasist, and those for whom everything is a sign of a recession.

We have a separate thread for that: Currently buying/selling a house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The current recession is only waking up

Q3 data should be released in Dec.

You seem to expect GDP to fall?

All the evidence points to GDP rising currently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Graham wrote: »
    We have a separate thread for that: Currently buying/selling a house?

There is a stark difference in narrative in that thread to this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The majority of people to suffer in this latest "recession" were the low paid - mostly retail & hospitality workers.

Why would this lead to much of a drop in house prices at all? Many of the people who lost jobs weren't really in a position to buy anyways, and if they were it would be near the bottom of the market - a segment that's not really doing to drop any lower as plenty of average wage IT workers and so on will happily make up the shortfall in demand for those types of houses.

Cyrus wrote: »
    indeed, people may have priced too high, doesnt mean achieved prices are falling however.

We will have to wait up to 6 months to see what the PPR reveals
    However if a house priced at 500 k drops to 475 k after a few months on the market I think it’s safe to say it did not achieve 500k sale price.
    Unles 2 bidders suddenly came onto the market at the same time and both wanted the house and both were prepared to pay 500k or more for the property
    However we will never know
    All we can do is look at the facts on MyHome and the PPR

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

beauf wrote: »
    There is a stark difference in narrative in that thread to this one.

I prefer this one with its cynicism.

timmyntc wrote: »
    The majority of people to suffer in this latest "recession" were the low paid - mostly retail & hospitality workers.

Why would this lead to much of a drop in house prices at all? Many of the people who lost jobs weren't really in a position to buy anyways, and if they were it would be near the bottom of the market - a segment that's not really doing to drop any lower as plenty of average wage IT workers and so on will happily make up the shortfall in demand for those types of houses.

That is not true my husband is a civil engineer and had to go to London for work commuted every week and came home at the weekend, but I suppose the point is he had the qualifications and experience to get a job elsewhere. Its one of the reasons why I would be ambivalent about telling teenagers third level education does not matter follow your dream.

We will have to wait up to 6 months to see what the PPR reveals
    However if a house priced at 500 k drops to 475 k after a few months on the market I think it’s safe to say it did not achieve 500k sale price.
    Unles 2 bidders suddenly came onto the market at the same time and both wanted the house and both were prepared to pay 500k or more for the property
    However we will never know
    All we can do is look at the facts on MyHome and the PPR

Are you the guy with the final salary pension and no mortgage?

You must wake up every single day congratulating yourself.

Geuze wrote: »
    Q3 data should be released in Dec.

You seem to expect GDP to fall?

All the evidence points to GDP rising currently.

I expect the full force of the recession to hit when the government pulls the plug on the life support it is currently providing to the economy on the form of wage supports
    Then the true unemployment rate will hit as the tourism , retail and hospitality sector lay off workers

I expect the full force of the recession to hit when the government pulls the plug on the life support it is currently providing to the economy on the form of wage supports
    Then the true unemployment rate will hit as the tourism , retail and hospitality sector lay off workers

I could be wrong but I doubt tourism, hospitality, and retail worker are buying houses in the 400-500k bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Guys I am not sure if we should be taking Neutral Guy seriously, seen as how he is actively trying to become a slum lord in the coming recession.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058095099

Pelezico wrote: »
    Are you the guy with the final salary pension and no mortgage?

You must wake up every single day congratulating yourself.

No I congratulate my late father who guided me out of construction 38 years ago into a well paid pensionable factory job and advised to start an AVC scheme in my early 20s
    What I got was not by luck but by informed choices , hard work , unsociable shifts and taking responsibility for my own actions
    I bought a house when I could and sacrificed for it as most of my generation did
    I didn’t sit around waiting for price drops and government help
    My advice to anybody looking to buy is simple
    If you find a house you like in an area you like and you can afford it then buy it now
    Once you have bought it don’t look at a property website until you want to sell
    It’s a home not a disposable asset.
    Oh and buy the worst house in the best area you can afford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown homeowners face 15% hike in property tax due to Covid crisis.

“In effectively increasing the local property taxes in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown, councillors have ensured that those whose homes are worth between €400,000 and €450,000 will see bills increase from €650 per year to €765.”

Link to Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dún-laoghaire-rathdown-homeowners-face-15-hike-in-property-tax-due-to-covid-crisis-1.4354899

I assume the hike in the LPT has nothing to do with this story in the Irish Times several months ago titled ‘Council chairman defends Dundrum lease deal with foreign cuckoo fund’:

"The Herbert Hill apartments are now set to be used as social housing with the council reportedly paying monthly rents of some €2,000 for one-bed apartments, €2,500 for two-bed units and €3,000 for three-bed units.

However, protesters argue that rent paid by the council over the next 25 years will end up exceeding what Realis paid for the complex, which stands in a prime location next to Dundrum Town Centre."

Link to Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/council-chairman-defends-dundrum-lease-deal-with-foreign-cuckoo-fund-1.4108443

I could be wrong but I doubt tourism, hospitality, and retail worker are buying houses in the 400-500k bracket.

Not them all no but some are ,
    Those not in those industries will have to to pay the unemployment benefit of those in those industries alongside the mortgage on their 500k property if they can afford both
    If they can’t then the mortgage will have to wait because the taxes won’t
    I just hope we don’t go back to 58% top rate tax and 7and a half percent PRSI again
    A recession affects everybody except billionaires
    Ask the Quinn family , ask Gerard Keane ,
    If you think a recession will not affect you I’m sorry to inform you you’re wrong
    Boris doing his best to make it worse won’t help

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The Dept of Finance cheif economist's report as discussed in the IT article mentioned increasing stamp duty for house purchases over €1m as one potential money grabber I saw.

Just how many homes of >€1m are sold in Ireland on an annual basis? I suspect its a very small number (I could be wrong). As a measure- I don't think this would generate meaningful government revenue- it would be a hugely populist gesture, certainly, however, other than getting plaudits in the media for taxing the wealthy- I don't see how it would that it would make much of a difference.

This is a populist measure- nothing more, nothing less.

A bit elitist that reply
    A shop worker on 30k could be married to a tech employee on 100k
    Loses his/ her job and suddenly their AIP drops by 105k

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

timmyntc wrote: »

you are absolutely right

I work in IT myself, most of my friends bought houses in the last 9 months

having many foreigners with 6-digit salary, in uncertain times, made loads of people purchase and ensure their place in Ireland

The top-bracket earners (some foreign couples working in the sector) are getting new 600k+ houses in south Dublin without much effort. It is a common thing.

And finally, anecdotally no IT professional was made redundant during covid, in fact it was quite the opposite: loads of job offers from remote workers. Some of the lads moved down to Tip, Tullamore, Lucan and are settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Leozord wrote: »
    you are absolutely right

I work in IT myself, most of my friends bought houses in the last 9 months

having many foreigners with 6-digit salary, in uncertain times, made loads of people purchase and ensure their place in Ireland

The top-bracket earners (some foreign couples working in the sector) are getting new 600k+ houses in south Dublin without much effort. It is a common thing.

And finally, anecdotally no IT professional was made redundant during covid, in fact it was quite the opposite: loads of job offers from remote workers. Some of the lads moved down to Tip, Tullamore, Lucan and are settled.

That's not true. I know some IT worked who are in the travel and similar industries, they were all let go. That said some are back working with other companies hired and onboared all remotely. WFH.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭hometruths

Just how many homes of >€1m are sold in Ireland on an annual basis? I suspect its a very small number (I could be wrong). As a measure- I don't think this would generate meaningful government revenue- it would be a hugely populist gesture, certainly, however, other than getting plaudits in the media for taxing the wealthy- I don't see how it would that it would make much of a difference.

This is a populist measure- nothing more, nothing less.

Screenshot-2020-09-15-at-10-13-29.png

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

beauf wrote: »
    That's not true. I know some IT worked who are in the travel and similar industries, they were all let go. That said some are back working with other companies hired and onboared all remotely. WFH.

yeah, my bad

I should have be more specific: IT sector instead of IT professionals, so internet companies, services etc are doing great. FANGS specially.

highly affected industries (travel for eg) surely made loads redundant

A lot of how of how got the house we have now was just luck, I wouldn't have had a clue about planning for the future in my twenties, I do feel sorry for people who see houses getting out of there price range.

• Advertisement

A lot of how of how got the house we have now was just luck, I wouldn't have had a clue about planning for the future in my twenties, I do feel sorry for people who see houses getting out of there price range.

Feeling sorry for someone is a great way of feeling superior. Fair play to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement