Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

beauf wrote: »
    I've never considered people on minimum wages buying property. I'm obviously doing something wrong.
    On their own no
    With another low paid worker ,in Dublin no ,outside of Dublin yes
    However low paid workers do buy property with higher paid workers with whom they are in a relationship with
    Taking their earnings out of the equation lessens the mortgage higher paid worker can jointly obtain

lower paid workers also pay rent
    IF 100000 low paid workers lose their jobs and cannot afford rent ,what happens the rental properties ?
    Lower their rents,thus lowering yield .thus lowering value.
    Stay idle and become a negatively performing asset

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭hometruths

Last time some developers and builders survived by getting involved in public projects, schools and roads and things like that.

Yes for sure, and to be honest I think if there is a serious downturn in construction the govt should engage developers directly to build housing and infrastructure, and pass cost savings on in affordable houses.

But what the developers are asking for is more help to buy type sweeteners so they can maintain their margins. It will simply cost housebuyers more.

I've never considered people on minimum wages buying property. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

So no minimum wage worker owns a property either singly or jointly ???
    Are they entitled to ??

schmittel wrote: »
    Yes for sure, and to be honest I think if there is a serious downturn in construction the govt should engage developers directly to build housing and infrastructure, and pass cost savings on in affordable houses.

But what the developers are asking for is more help to buy type sweeteners so they can maintain their margins. It will simply cost housebuyers more.
    As can be seen from the recent increase in the HTB scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Interesting way they phrase it too, asking the government to:

"to support private demand thus enabling an increase in the supply of affordable housebuilding

Whilst self serving they do make valid points around infrastructural improvements such as Irish water .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

brisan wrote: »
    So no minimum wage worker owns a property either singly or jointly ???
    Are they entitled to ??

...and no one hasn't been uneffected or done better during the pandemic....

:)

lower paid workers also pay rent
    IF 100000 low paid workers lose their jobs and cannot afford rent ,what happens the rental properties ?
    Lower their rents,thus lowering yield .thus lowering value.
    Stay idle and become a negatively performing asset

It's rarely discussed in this thread but anecdotal evidence suggests rents are collapsing.

If rents drop longer term will have a knock on effect on the sales market in time.

...and no one hasn't been uneffected or done better during the pandemic....

:)

Of course they have
    They may have got new jobs,but I doubt major pay increases were handed out during a pandemic .even in Tech Jobs
    But that is not going to make property a lot dearer when 100k people lose their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

It's rarely discussed in this thread but anecdotal evidence suggests rents are collapsing.

If rents drop longer term will have a knock on effect on the sales market in time.

You mean people will have more capacity to save so house prices go up?

It is not discussed because its head in the sand for some people
    Nothing to see here ,it will never happen ,cant happen here ,too little supply
    And yet the Property Pin has a whole thread documenting rental price drops from 5-25%
    On here they were just overpriced originally

• Advertisement

Pelezico wrote: »
    You mean people will have more capacity to save so house prices go up?

Not quite what I was getting at!

Not quite what I was getting at!

I THINK the poster was been sarcastic
    Some people will say with more savings and bigger deposits house prices will go up
    Any excuse to deny the inevitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Someone regularly posts on another thread monthly stats with asking rents for different types of property. I think it shows asking rents are down about 20% on some types of property and supply is up significantly. But it doesn’t show how many are being rented or how long they have been on the market so difficult to see how much activity there is.

It is not discussed because its head in the sand for some people
    Nothing to see here ,it will never happen ,cant happen here ,too little supply
    And yet the Property Pin has a whole thread documenting rental price drops from 5-25%
    On here they were just overpriced originally

People here expecting free rent. Posting about abundance supply in one thread then complaining about no supply in others. Rents in fee fall but too expensive. They stats are a conspiracy unless you can selectively Quote from them.

Very entertaining.

Hubertj wrote: »
    Someone regularly posts on another thread monthly stats with asking rents for different types of property. I think it shows asking rents are down about 20% on some types of property and supply is up significantly. But it doesn’t show how many are being rented or how long they have been on the market so difficult to see how much activity there is.

Banning Airbnb fixed the supply crisis. Did you miss that. Homeless resolved at the stroke of a pen.

Some people will say with more savings and bigger deposits house prices will go up

The market is cyclical so both are correct.

The market is cyclical so both are correct.

If rents collapse, why would people buy?

If rents collapse, why would people buy?

They eventually go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thefridge2006

I'll just leave this 2500 job losses right here for whoever it was saying that the covid crisis was only going to affect low paid workers who arent even in the market for a mortgage....... this is huge and only the start of it all

Fears for 2,500 jobs as Ulster Bank closure being considered

Ulster Bank made a loss of €276m for the first half of the year.

It has struggled to gain market share because of its small scale.

Ulster Bank got a bailout of €15bn (€16bn) from its British parent after the financial crash more than a decade ago. Much of this money came from British taxpayers.

It has since sold a number of mortgage accounts that are in arrears, cut jobs and has closed branches.

I sensed sarcasm but you can never be sure!

The last time I tried to discuss the impact of falling rents in this thread I was told that rental valuations and sales prices were completely separate with no impact on each other - 'decoupled' was the phrase used.

Something to do with landlords kicking tenants out if they lose their job.

I gave up discussing rents after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thefridge2006

Graham wrote: »
    They are still operating and providing jobs.

yes..... on support from the Gov....not providing for themselves

I sensed sarcasm but you can never be sure!

The last time I tried to discuss the impact of falling rents in this thread I was told that rental valuations and sales prices were completely separate with no impact on each other - 'decoupled' was the phrase used.

Something to do with landlords kicking tenants out if they lose their job.

I gave up discussing rents after that.

How quickly can LL evict. One year, two years? It doesn't seem like that would have any dramatic effect on anything. LL can't sell, can't re-rent with a tenant in situ even if not paying.

If rents fall. Many LLs cover the shortfall in rent. If the property becomes unviable it will be sold. But if you look at last time we banks didn't let people sell. They dragged it out and ruined everyone including themselves. They don't seem to have the same approach this time.

It will depend on how many people are over leveraged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I'll just leave this 2500 job losses right here for whoever it was saying that the covid crisis was only going to affect low paid workers who arent even in the market for a mortgage....... this is huge and only the start of it all

Fears for 2,500 jobs as Ulster Bank closure being considered

Ulster Bank made a loss of €276m for the first half of the year.

It has struggled to gain market share because of its small scale.

Ulster Bank got a bailout of €15bn (€16bn) from its British parent after the financial crash more than a decade ago. Much of this money came from British taxpayers.

It has since sold a number of mortgage accounts that are in arrears, cut jobs and has closed branches.

Ulster bank may be sold off to other banks and lenders.
    Jobs will be created /saved

How quickly can LL evict. One year, two years? It doesn't seem like that would have any dramatic effect on anything. LL can't sell, can't re-rent with a tenant in situ even if not paying.

If rents fall. Many LLs cover the shortfall in rent. If the property becomes unviable it will be sold. But if you look at last time we banks didn't let people sell. They dragged it out and ruined everyone including themselves. They don't seem to have the same approach this time.

It will depend on how many people are over leveraged.

Do lads even bother paying rent any more? I know they dont concern themselves with mortgages.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ulster bank may be sold off to other banks and lenders.
    Jobs will be created /saved

If it gets sold off to another bank there will still be job losses. It's what usually happens at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Very good. As I said, there is no economic similarities between then and now. Yet I'm sure you will continue to compare anyway.

Yeah things are actually worse now. The banks are all bust due to low interest rates. Tourism, airlines, hotels, restaurants, huge employers that will all need to shrink by half at least. No end in sight to the pandemic either.

Do lads even bother paying rent any more? I know they dont concern themselves with mortgages.

We'll find out when the rent arrears come due.

No handing the keys back in Ireland. You'll pay the mortgage and the interest eventually. The banks have proved they can get blood out of stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

How long has lack of supply been a problem now. A decade?

Yes, close to a decade. There are only really 3 budgets for FF and FG to fix the mess, but this time FF and FG really need to have made decent progress or else neither could be looking at being in government after the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

pearcider wrote: »
    Yeah things are actually worse now. The banks are all bust due to low interest rates. Tourism, airlines, hotels, restaurants, huge employers that will all need to shrink by half at least. No end in sight to the pandemic either.

"The banks are all bust" is a tad misleading, wouldn't you agree?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Hubertj wrote: »

There is a simple way to do some desktop research on that. Search for rentals on Daft in Dublin, under 2.5k, max 3 beds and sort by oldest ads. Then scroll through them. It might take a couple dozen pages of ads to go through but it will be obvious which ones are dead ads and which are still active.

I use under 2.5k as I don't see your average renters paying much more than that for a place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement