Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

schmittel wrote: »
    Many people, not least the government, think that is a good thing.

so there is an increased FTB grant and the decrease in vat will bring prices down

yet you arent happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

Cyrus wrote: »
    so there is an increased FTB grant and the decrease in vat will bring prices down

yet you arent happy?

Nothing on affordable or social housing but we can give a subsidy to people buying €600k houses.
    Right wing rules again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

yet you arent happy?

Builders will not drop prices
    They will charge what the market will bear and pocket the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

yet you arent happy?

Will it bring prices down though?

Or will it keep builders margins up?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭hometruths

yet you arent happy?

Of course I am thrilled, I was just responding to CorkRed's point about FTB's having to pay higher prices.

I think it is fantastic that FTB's have an increased grant, I'm sure it will make their day. I am not convinced the decrease will bring down prices though. Nor do I think it will do anything to address the homeless problem.

I think it is poor policy, but ultimately it suits me down to the ground, as I plan to sell my house within the next year. And in order to get top dollar I need plenty of FTBs armed to the teeth bidding madly at the bottom of the chain.

Happy as a pig in sh*t.

But I'm not the one that needs help.

• Advertisement

Rossvet wrote: »
    Nothing on affordable or social housing but we can give a subsidy to people buying €600k houses.
    Right wing rules again.

this is for all new builds is it not? and if its a 600k house you are capped at a max of 30k or 5%. and you understand this is an economic stimulus plan, pumping money into free houses for people who dont contribute to the tax take isnt the agenda here.

brisan wrote: »
    Builders will not drop prices
    They will charge what the market will bear and pocket the difference

according to everyone what the market will bear is decreasing at an alarming rate so this must be good news for FTBers?

Of course I am thrilled, I was just responding to CorkRed's point about FTB's having to pay higher prices.

I think it is fantastic that FTB's have an increased grant, I'm sure it will make their day. I am not convinced the decrease will bring down prices though. Nor do I think it will do anything to address the homeless problem.

I think it is poor policy, but ultimately it suits me down to the ground, as I plan to sell my house within the next year. And in order to get top dollar I need plenty of FTBs armed to the teeth bidding madly at the bottom of the chain.

Happy as a pig in sh*t.

wont help you i wouldnt have thought its for new builds.

fliball123 wrote: »
    Its all location people that why somes areas are higher. I have seen 2 houses in the same estate one had nothing done to it, the other had an attic extension, a kitchen extension, underfloor heating, bathrooms done up to the nines, a side extension, porch extension and a shomra room out the back. The back was all decked out in expensive granite stone and both were up for sale at the same time and the difference in price was 15k even with all of the work above done. Someone had pumped easily 150k in and they only got 1/10th back. So location is probably the biggest driver of price after demand
    I have said this numerous times
    Myself and my brothers have flipped numerous houses
    We do a lot of the work ourselves
    There are certain things you will never get your money back on and every area has a ceiling price for every type of house.
    Put that Abington houses 3 or 4 miles down the road in Darndale and see what you get for it
    Location ,location ,location.
    Buy the worst house in the best area you can afford

according to everyone what the market will bear is decreasing at an alarming rate so this must be good news for FTBers?

Not everyone - theres a cohort here who don't think prices will fall significantly (not the same as saying that prices won't fall at all).

I think builders are well able to release units to the market in such a way as to maximise demand and in turn their profits.

FTBs may get some benefit from this in the short term but history shows the the market will level off to account for the scheme.

• Advertisement

Assuming they can get a mortgage it is

wont help you i wouldnt have thought its for new builds.

Indeed, but higher price for new builds feeds into the higher prices across the entire market.

Happy as a pig in sh*t.

Not to rain on your parade, but this might actually hurt you. The HTB scheme has always been for new builds, and this is just making new builds more attractive to FTBs than 2nd hand properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

this is for all new builds is it not? and if its a 600k house you are capped at a max of 30k or 5%. and you understand this is an economic stimulus plan, pumping money into free houses for people who dont contribute to the tax take isnt the agenda here.

And it's still capped at 500k is it not?

SozBbz wrote: »
    Not to rain on your parade, but this might actually hurt you. The HTB scheme has always been for new builds, and this is just making new builds more attractive to FTBs than 2nd hand properties.

I get that but there is no way an FTB is buying my property anyway, or if they are they are not worried about the government HTB scheme.

But, as above, helping FTBs paying increased prices for new builds feeds into prices across the entire market.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BEdS_83

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    And it's still capped at 500k is it not?

great question :) was wondering that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Happy as a pig in sh*t.

I think your a little confused! The FTB grant is only for new builds, therefore your second hand house isn’t eligible. It’s is highly likely this will depress second hand homes as everyone will go towards the zero deposit new builds.

Think about it logically, a 300k new build where the buyer needs zero down vs a second hand one where the buyer needs 30k saved on Irish wages.

Outcome, the new build flies off the shelf and the second hand house drops it’s asking to 275k

Smouse156 wrote: »
    I think your a little confused! The FTB grant is only for new builds, therefore your second hand house isn’t eligible. It’s is highly likely this will depress second hand homes as everyone will go towards the zero deposit new builds.

Think about it logically, a 300k new build where the buyer needs zero down vs a second hand one where the buyer needs 30k saved on Irish wages.

Outcome, the new build flies off the shelf and the second hand house drops it’s asking to 275k

Asked and answered a couple of times.

Unless FTBers buying new builds operate in a vacuum, I am not the one that is confused.

I get that but there is no way an FTB is buying my property anyway, or if they are they are not worried about the government HTB scheme.

But, as above, helping FTBs paying increased prices for new builds feeds into prices across the entire market.

Actually all it does is help demand in one particular segment of the market! Builders and FTBs. It helps the rent slaves break their chains and become home owners so bad for landlords as well. Builders making more cash will help them increase output further increasing supply which depresses prices.

This is the thinking of the Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown second house sellers. They wondered why the prices dropped 7% in 2019 when the whole market only fell 1%. The average price was held up by the new builds coming on stream but it hurt second hand expensive houses

Asked and answered a couple of times.

Unless FTBers buying new builds operate in a vacuum, I am not the one that is confused.

You don’t understand! It won’t help your second hand house, when it depreciates due to buyers flocking to all the new builds and ignoring your place. Then you’ll get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Or the 300k new house now costs 330k.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

Actually all it does is help demand in one particular segment of the market! Builders and FTBs. It helps the rent slaves break their chains and become home owners so bad for landlords as well. Builders making more cash will help them increase output further increasing supply which depresses prices.

This is the thinking of the Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown second house sellers. They wondered why the prices dropped 7% in 2019 when the whole market only fell 1%. The average price was held up by the new builds coming on stream but it hurt second hand expensive houses

If its only until the end of the year though, so I can't imagine it having that much of an effect on output. New builds take a long time to get after purchase so it will mostly effect those that have already purchased and are waiting for the house to be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Dylan94 wrote:
    If its only until the end of the year though, so I can't imagine it having that much of an effect on output. New builds take a long time to get after purchase so it will mostly effect those that have already purchased and are waiting for the house to be ready.

This is Ireland, it'll get extended as is usual here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Please, point me to new builds costing €300k anywhere within Dublin.

Another policy that does nothing for single people, because buying a new build is so laughably far removed from what I can afford!

Yes yes I know, 2 people equals more money, blah blah.

Shelga wrote: »
    Please, point me to new builds costing €300k anywhere within Dublin.

Another policy that does nothing for single people, because buying a new build is so laughably far removed from what I can afford!

Yes yes I know, 2 people equals more money, blah blah.

Well not much in Dublin for 300k bar one bed apartments. But outside more naturally. However, 400k new builds will need 10k deposit v 20k previously. That definitely helps

You don’t understand! It won’t help your second hand house, when it depreciates due to buyers flocking to all the new builds and ignoring your place. Then you’ll get it

For years my property has been appreciating in a large part thanks to buyers flocking to all the new builds in the area. Long may they continue to flock at ever increasing prices.

The people buying new build houses in my area are not consciously ignoring my house in favour of a new build, but it’s just so far off their radar it might as well be in a different county.

However you’d need to be a serious half wit to consider that the confidence in their segment of the market does not have a positive impact on the confidence in my segment.

This holds true at a local, regional and national level to some extent.

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

For years my property has been appreciating in a large part thanks to buyers flocking to all the new builds in the area. Long may they continue to flock at ever increasing prices.

The people buying new build houses in my area are not consciously ignoring my house in favour of a new build, but it’s just so far off their radar it might as well be in a different county.

However you’d need to be a serious half wit to consider that the confidence in their segment of the market does not have a positive impact on the confidence in my segment.

This holds true at a local, regional and national level to some extent.

Yes, the HTB does make second hand houses suffer, but only second hand houses that you would expect FTBs to be in a position to buy. You're talking the 3/4 bed semis in the sub-500 price range.

A FTB getting an extra 10k to buy a brand new house is not going to have much impact on the demand for a nice 4/5 bed gaff on it's 1/4 acre site that costs 600/700k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

This is putting money in the pockets of builders.

This will undoubtedly cause a creep up on new builds first; second hand homes will follow general market trends.

The 320k house will now become 330k. Bigger mortgage repayments etc.

Coupled with the housing ministers "go forth county councils and buy up all the houses for social housing".

What is this government thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

So guys does this mean I don’t need a deposit on a 300k new build(if I have that paid in tax)?

I have been saving away and have a good bit, just someone tell me what this means.

• Advertisement

TheSheriff wrote: »
    This is putting money in the pockets of builders.

This will undoubtedly cause a creep up on new builds first; second hand homes will follow general market trends.

The 300k house will now become 330k. Bigger mortgage repayments etc.

Coupled with the housing ministers "go forth country councils and buy up all the houses for social housing".

What is this government thinking.

I’d say it’s thinking that the votes from the property investing and home owning cohorts are more valuable than those of the homeless and renting class.

Business as usual in other words.

But a simple understanding of demographics will tell you that the long term mathematics of this strategy are not favorable.

And ultimately we’ll end up with a SF government propped up by PBP. This is unlikely to end well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement