Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Comments

nerrad01 wrote: »
    for me? absolutely nothing, and i never mentioned i expected they would either but dosent change the fact that they will gain massive support from this situation.

But no-one in your position would vote for Sinn Fein surely, so who exactly is going to vote for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭nerrad01

bubblypop wrote: »
    But no-one in your position would vote for Sinn Fein surely, so who exactly is going to vote for them?

Me personally, no. But you only have to look at the last election to see exactly where their votes will come, every day they dont sort out housing they will gain more young voters. I wont be voting FF/FG either.

Prob off topic, but covid is going to drag on for another year, people will wrongly blame FF/FG for all their covid related gripes which will push more voters towards SF.

On a property note, i think SF will tax the bejaysus out of the reits and start massive amount of building. How they will pay for it is anyone's guess, but people are desperate for solutions at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

bubblypop wrote: »
    what do you think Sinn Fein will do for you?

Something. Anything. FFG have delivered practically zero over the last decade.

Never paid enough attention to this at the time. Sheer madness. How did the housing minster allow this?

https://www.businesspost.ie/property/kildare-county-council-under-fire-for-cutting-housing-target-by-26000-6a4734d7

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/developer-challenges-kildare-council-decision-to-cut-housing-targets-1.4318976

Just shows how thinly veiled the effort to constrain suppy is. Anyone hear how the subsquenty court date on Septemeber 15th went?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,140 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Something. Anything. FFG have delivered practically zero over the last decade.

practically zero will be better than the sinn fein fantasy land, at least people can look at a jurisdiction and see where they are actually in power and decide for themselves if things are any better there:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭fliball123

Cyrus wrote: »
    practically zero will be better than the sinn fein fantasy land, at least people can look at a jurisdiction and see where they are actually in power and decide for themselves if things are any better there:pac:

Anyone considering Sinn Fein should look north and see how full of spin and lies and countless broken promises, not saying FF/FG are any better but they are not the "end of the rainbow" that they make themselves out to be

These are some of the things I'd hope Sinn Fein can deliver where FFG have chosen not to.

- A functioning property tax
    - A derelict site tax
    - A land hoarding tax
    - Setting up councils to build or subcontract building of homes
    - Reduction in tax on building homes
    - A proper process for buying homes
    - Elimination of CC building caps

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭nerrad01

These are some of the things I'd hope Sinn Fein can deliver where FFG have chosen not to.

- A derelict site tax
    - A land hoarding tax

The crazy thing is so many of these things could be implemented immediately if there was any sort of political will, too many vested interests at play.

- A functioning property tax - how do you define that ? given the core of sinn feins vote wont be burdened by this tax im sure itll be a tax the 'rich' measure

- A derelict site tax - good idea

- A land hoarding tax - same as above really isnt it?

- Setting up councils to build or subcontract building of homes - given the number of social houses built in the 80s by county councils what new councils need to be set up?

- Reduction in tax on building homes - where do they make up the revenue?

- A proper process for buying homes - what do you mean by this?

- Elimination of CC building caps - a free for all?

see bolded inline

As Cyrus mentions a SF functioning property tax would likely be a tax the 'rich' measure ........ rich being someone on over €40/50k ish.

There's only so many builders out there, getting some of them to build social housing on behalf on the councils is already being done...... SF won't magic up any more houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Contrary to your comment re exemptions, my partner was approved about 2 weeks ago for 4.5x salary with AIB. People who have a history of good monthly savings and a steady income in a recession/pandemic proof industry can get these exemptions.

That’s interesting, thanks for letting me know! Myself and my wife are in similar jobs so this is useful

Augeo wrote: »
    As Cyrus mentions a SF functioning property tax would likely be a tax the 'rich' measure ........ rich being someone on over €40/50k ish.

There's only so many builders out there, getting some of them to build social housing on behalf on the councils is already being done...... SF won't magic up any more houses.

and already those on the 40ish k and up are already paying the guts of all taxes you cant get blood from a stone

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

- A derelict site tax
    - A land hoarding tax

FF and FG are proudly, bravely and resolutely committed to doing none of these things.

Considering that the majority of the population under 35 won’t get a house without these things - Sinn Fein are sure to get a majority.

fliball123 wrote: »
    and already those on the 40ishk and up are already paying the guts of all taxes you cant get blood from a stone

Indeed, as recent figures show the income tax take wasn't too badly effected by Covid19.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Balluba

nerrad01 wrote: »
    its not essential to the people in power it seems, that is why i think sein fein are going to romp home at the next general election. Not managing to get into government was the best thing that could have happened them.

Im currently looking to buy and the number of properties out there is abysmal, talk about demoralising. Saving, working hard and being lucky enough to have the guts of 400k and then there's barely anything to buy and i am one of the lucky ones to be even in this position.

I don’t know what county you are hoping to buy a house in but I see after doing a quick check on Daft.ie that there are 1,113 houses up for sale under €400,000 today in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

A-rated 3 bed 106m2 units in Donaghmede reduced their prices today by €25k to €375k. Good value? I don't know the area.

Link on MyHome.ie here: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/45a-45b-grangemore-crescent-donaghmede-donaghmede-dublin-13/4395315

Augeo wrote: »

We outsourced much of the building of the M7 motorway. We can borrow now practically zero and should do the same.

Why are people unaware how a property tax should work? A property tax should tax those who were lucky enough to afford to buy houses. The money raised should be used to build more homes and reduce the cost of housing for those not lucky enough.

We as a country were enslaved to the landlord English. We are now doing the exact same to our poor. It's ever stretching the wealth divide between rich and poor. Personally, I care for other human beings. I don't believe property should be used as a tool to keep people poor.

A-rated 3 bed 106m2 units in Donaghmede reduced their prices today by €25k to €375k. Good value? I don't know the area.

Link on MyHome.ie here: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/45a-45b-grangemore-crescent-donaghmede-donaghmede-dublin-13/4395315

Donaghmede is like Darndale and Ballgriffin. I'm happy to drive through, but I wouldn't advise slowing down.

Why are people unaware how a property tax should work? A property tax should tax those who were lucky enough to afford to buy houses...........

So you get an 80/90% mortgage over 30 odd years and the property tax should be how much?
    And the proceeds instead of going where they go now go to provide cheaper housing to those who haven't bought yet?
    And were does the money to replace the existing property tax come from, because you've just diverted that to another use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

Why are people unaware how a property tax should work? A property tax should tax those who were lucky enough to afford to buy houses. The money raised should be used to build more homes and reduce the cost of housing for those not lucky enough.

We as a country were enslaved to the landlord English. We are now doing the exact same to our poor. It's ever stretching the wealth divide between rich and poor. Personally, I care for other human beings. I don't believe property should be used as a tool to keep people poor.

What do you mean with „lucky enough“? We didn’t win our house in some sort of lottery! We worked and saved for years to be able to buy it. Nobody helped us along the way.
    I care for other beings too. I give the few left over Euros to charities. One thing doesn’t exclude the other.
    Who reduces our „cost of housing“? Tell you who: No one!

Donaghmede is like Darndale and Ballgriffin. I'm happy to drive through, but I wouldn't advise slowing down.

and you want the government to build more social houses yet you wouldnt slow down in one of the areas they have already done it in :pac:

where would you like them, ballsbridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

people should probably understand the meaning of houses is not the meaning of buying a single house Property tax like it works on other countries is for people with more than one house, so taxing holiday homes rental properties and so on...

Is this that bad that you feel affected if your second, third... tenth house is taxed for property tax? Imagine if all the vulture funds with hundreds of properties would pay a tax on all of those assets and that money be reinvested by councils for affordable housing... imagine that...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

Vieira82 wrote: »
    people should probably understand the meaning of houses is not the meaning of buying a single house Property tax like it works on other countries is for people with more than one house, so taxing holiday homes rental properties and so on...

Is this that bad that you feel affected if your second, third... tenth house is taxed for property tax? Imagine if all the vulture funds with hundreds of properties would pay a tax on all of those assets and that money be reinvested by councils for affordable housing... imagine that...

You should understand that you pay property tax on your family home, as well as any investment property in Ireland. Property tax would be included in the rent charged by the landlord. Vulture funds are paying very little tax on their income. The government should start taxing them more, before they raise the property tax on family homes/ rentals (tenants will have to pay for it after all).

I don't know. From looking at streetview in the map section of the MyHome page, the estate looks like many other middle class 3-bed semi detached tree lined estates in Dublin. There aren't many places in Dublin that aren't located within a short walk of the so-called bad areas. But, as said, I don't know this area, so I'll go by your judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

Lolle06 wrote: »
    You should understand that you pay property tax on your family home, as well as any investment property in Ireland. Property tax would be included in the rent charged by the landlord. Vulture funds are paying very little tax on their income. The government should start taxing them more, before they raise the property tax on family homes/ rentals (tenants will have to pay for it after all).

Not exactly because if the demand is curbed with more affordable housing the tenants will not be affected, as then the demand matches the supply and landlords and tenants will be paying and receiving fair rents.

Do you know the area beacause I do very well Donaghmede in itself is a mature area with an aging popoulation. 2 primary schools and 1 secondary school within the area itself. There are places all around it that are being built up but for the spot itself it is actually not a bad spot mostly working class and it has good facilities, their is a big shopping center and has the 29A bus route and a DART station in Howth Junction... good strong soccer teams donaghmede utd and GAA team Trinity Gaels .. I would have no bother living there again I never had any trouble when I lived there.

Cyrus wrote: »
    and you want the government to build more social houses yet you wouldnt slow down in one of the areas they have already done it in :pac:

where would you like them, ballsbridge?

Well, Landsdowne Place is beginning to look like a prime candidate for a future social housing scheme if Herbert Hill in Dundrum is anything to go by.

Well, Landsdowne Place is beginning to look like a prime candidate for a future social housing scheme if Herbert Hill in Dundrum is anything to go by.

it wont be.

dundrum isnt ballsbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Vieira82 wrote: »

We have one of the lowest rates of property tax in the western world. It should be way higher! It would keep overpriced property in check! When a Luas etc is build in an area, the existing home owners benefit from increased services and their property appreciates in price. This is paid for by the tax payer. Those living in the area didn’t contribute anything to building the luas tracks or trams.

Property taxes ensures that the areas with the best services will have high home prices and pay the most property tax...as it should be. The money could be then invested in more housing especially when the market is heading downwards. Finally it’s most effective way to tax wealth and tax Exiles with millions of assets here.

But property tax isn’t what the vested interests want....so not a hope FF/FG look to increase it to a reasonable level

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement